Is Hendo a small mw

He was light against Cormier but he looked pretty fit. I highly doubt he can make WW. He'd be a good sized MW, but not the biggest.

Hendo can't make WW, but several other fighters his size can. He'd be among the biggest ones there if he did manage to make the cut.

I remember after his last MW fight (which I think was Jake Shields) Hendo saying he wouldn't fight at MW anymore because the weight cut was too hard for him.

Then I saw he came in well below the LHW limit at 199 this last fight after TRT was banned. Not sure but it made me think that Dan lost a lot of size/muscle when he stopped taking TRT and that now he probably could go back to MW.

As much as I hate to say it though because I'm a huge fan, but his last few fights made me think maybe it's time to hang em up. Even in the Shogun fight that he won he was taking a beating the entire fight up to the H-bomb.

Guy is a legend, he has nothing left to prove. I'd rather see him retire before he gets hurt.

Small in frame, but big in power. I also disagree with weight cutting being the "evolution" of the sport. Many of the greatest were not massive compared to their opponents. Ex. Fedor, Cain, rocky Marciano, mike tyson, Roy Jones, James toney. The evolution of mma will definitely come in skills. Most mma fighters are scared to fight bigger guys, unless your name is wanderlei or Dan Henderson.

I guess Hendo came through a time where weight classes were less of a big deal. He would of been the Hendricks of his generation though. Could you imagine his power at 170

But he has always fought better at higher a weight then a lower one.

I remember after his last MW fight (which I think was Jake Shields) Hendo saying he wouldn't fight at MW anymore because the weight cut was too hard for him.

Then I saw he came in well below the LHW limit at 199 this last fight after TRT was banned. Not sure but it made me think that Dan lost a lot of size/muscle when he stopped taking TRT and that now he probably could go back to MW.

As much as I hate to say it though because I'm a huge fan, but his last few fights made me think maybe it's time to hang em up. Even in the Shogun fight that he won he was taking a beating the entire fight up to the H-bomb.

Guy is a legend, he has nothing left to prove. I'd rather see him retire before he gets hurt.

I agree with you. His risk/reward ratio is shifting rapidly.

Hendo is usually smaller than the guys he fight but he can KO any person with one punch.

He isn't 'small', but at 5'11 with 71" reach, he's smaller than any top-10 MW.

Closest are Munoz at 6' with 71" reach and Kennedy at 5'11 with 74" inch reach.

Hendo has competed above his natural weight for most of his career. His chin, h-bomb and wrestling makes him competitive with anyone, but at 43, given his lack of speed and size, he still has a lot of disadvantages even at MW.

This has nothing to do with WEIGHT classes

But he has always fought better at higher a weight then a lower one.

That's why I don't think that extreme weight cutting is the future. Maximum health seems more advantageous. How much stronger are you than your opponent when you have ten more pounds on him, if you are dehydrated?

He's losing muscle mass at this age

Small in frame, but big in power. I also disagree with weight cutting being the "evolution" of the sport. Many of the greatest were not massive compared to their opponents. Ex. Fedor, Cain, rocky Marciano, mike tyson, Roy Jones, James toney. The evolution of mma will definitely come in skills. Most mma fighters are scared to fight bigger guys, unless your name is wanderlei or Dan Henderson.

I called it the true evolution in that it's what's actually changed the most noticeably IMO. There was a time when GSP was criticized for being a 'huge' 185 lb WW, now there are SW girls who rehydrate more than 15 lbs.

I'm pretty sure the fight with Vitor was 185 but yeah, Dan is too old to keep cutting weight. He mentioned in an interview that he does less cardio work now as it tires him too much leading up to fights.

no it wasn't. it was 205

Tibau is bigger than Hendo.

not really. Tibau walks around 185 at MOST. maybe exaggerating a bit there. He is not that big. I expected to see a greater difference in size between him with Aldo and Bar

if daniel cormier and dan henderson were heavy weight cutters they would be ww's. they are 5'10-5'11, cormier is wider and would have trouble, both function better as lhws

not really. Tibau walks around 185 at MOST. maybe exaggerating a bit there. He is not that big. I expected to see a greater difference in size between him with Aldo and Bar

kenny-florian-jon-fitch-dan-henderson-rashad-evans-matt-serra-rich-franklin.jpg

jake-shields-and-dan-henderson-strikeforce-nashville-weigh-ins1.jpg

07-Lyota-Machida-Dan-Henderson-7468-UFC-157-weigh.jpg

At the very least, 185 should not be a problem. He has fought at 176 and 183 before when he was younger. If got scientific about the weight cut I'm sure he could hit it.

Back