Is Height a Gigantic Advantage in WMMA?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by superpunch, Feb 17, 2016.

1. superpunch

superpunch Silver Belt

Women are slower, so they can't move around and use the footwork that guys do to get inside to the same extent. Just like HWs are too slow to use Cruz footwork until we get a Mike Tyson.

Women are weaker, so they can't punish when they do close the distance like men can.

Strength is also the advantage that shorter athletes in a weight class have to make up for height. Women don't get that counter-advantage as much.

As much as I can see, height is the only physical attribute that carries over directly from men's MMA without being "downgraded". Since height is important in men's MMA and all the other positive physical attributes are massively "downgraded" in female physiology, height has to be much more important in WMMA.

2. Incredulous

Incredulous White Belt

Ask Jessamyn Duke.

Drake and Gamer007 like this.
  3. Ar145984

Ar145984 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Women are just as capable of knocking out other women at 135 and strength is just as much a threat. It seems that when its a vagina thats throwing a 135 lb well torqued shin to the skull people suddenly think it must feel like a pillow.

Power is still very relevant and was a significant component of Ronda Rousey's game.

Quinton Fields likes this.
  4. TIMELESS TRUTH

TIMELESS TRUTH Time Traveler

Tall, but not too tall.

5. superpunch

superpunch Silver Belt

I don't buy that. Headkicks, yeah, of course. But the amount of punches women take would be impossible unless every WMMA fighter has a prime Mark Hunt chin.

Even with poor boxing technique taken into consideration, it doesn't make sense to consider the power anywhere near equal in its effect. It just doesn't fit what I watch. The closest comparision I can think of is like kids swinging at each other and they just can't KO each other as much as adult men can.

6. Drake

Drake Guest

[​IMG]

JAGDPANZER209 likes this.
  7. ithinktheymad

ithinktheymad Red Belt

I really hate it here sometimes.

scorpipede likes this.
  8. Felis

Felis Brown Belt

No.
    See Jessamyn Duke, Peggy Morgan, Brittney Elkin, etc.

To me it seems most of the tall WMMA fighters have a Struve-esk talent to use their height...
    Plus imo it makes it more difficult for them to have a good body composition (= enough muscle mass) because if they did they'd be too heavy for the popular weight classes.

JAGDPANZER209 and MMAart like this.
  9. Ar145984

Ar145984 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

So is the case with many lighter fighters. The only real disadvantage women have in terms of strength development is the cap on muscular growth and density, as well as speed of growth, as well as cardio development, without the assistance of enhancement drugs. But its not such a large gap that its as if they are sub human, the human body isn't meant to take a lot of damage and you will be shocked what even a well-trained female can put out in terms of force.

A 135 well-fit female who throws a kick, like Holm for example, can pose just as much of a threat due to her power than a 135 tall female fighter with no strength. It is one of the reasons Ronda Rousey bulked up so much, her power advantage helped her in grappling exchanges and with her knockout power. If you're slightly more powerful than someone, you can toss them around easier, and thats relevant and often one of the reasons grapplers tend to be power centric.

but anyone can be outstruck, so was Johnny Hendricks, and he's powerful.

MMAart likes this.
  10. sadclown

sadclown Banned Banned

height is an advantage

but of course, height would be largely nullified if one doesn't have the strategy to utilize it and the skills to realize said strategy.

MMAart likes this.
  11. CoffeeAndBeer

CoffeeAndBeer OG from 1993

First of all, I think you're referring to reach, but your saying "height."

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  12. superpunch

superpunch Silver Belt

Women aren't able to achieve the same strength or explosiveness at the same weight as a man either. Those counter height. So, the height is carrying over 100% and the strength and explosiveness to counter it isn't.

13. superpunch

superpunch Silver Belt

I'm talking about height specifically because reach stats are nearly 100% unreliable. They're virtually all made-up because you can't tell someone's reach by looking at them. So, I use height as the closest proxy for it.

There are also tons of other advantages of height though: the ability to be lean at a weight class. Not many 5'4 women are going to be able to be as lean as Holly is at 135 and still have to cut from dehydration. Leverage. Etc.

14. CoffeeAndBeer

Reach > Height

(see: Fightnomics)

15. green giant

green giant Honor still means something................

No way. Not even close to the power men present. I think another part of it no one talks about is women might be as hard to knock out as a lot of men. That combined with their physical weakness equals less knockouts.

16. superpunch

superpunch Silver Belt

Anderson said he was 5'11 against Leben. You knew he lied because a 3" height lie is obvious.

Anderson adds 3" to his reach. How the fuck would you ever know? You wouldn't.

Reach stats are so unreliable that they're worthless to consider. You have to use a proxy to approximate them. The best you can do is height.

I'm 5'8 with a 68" reach. If I fought in the UFC, my stats would be 5'9" with a 74" reach because I could get away with it.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  17. UJustGotChaeld

UJustGotChaeld Steel Belt

The tongue action is really what makes this gif.

Drake likes this.
  18. CoffeeAndBeer

I'm taking it for granted that Fightnomics did their proper research (based their findings on accurate data/measurements).

19. CoffeeAndBeer

Plus, based on the guys I've gone against who are taller/lankier... they generally feel weaker. They lack core-strength.

20. CoffeeAndBeer

Nick Diaz minus a few inches of reach*...
    We never would of heard of the guy.

Nick Diaz minus a few inches in height^...
    He'd likely have more power, and his wrestling may not have been as big of a weakness.

*but same height and weight
    ^but same reach and weight