Is head movement necessary in Muay Thai?

It's not that it makes it impractical, just sometimes a bit one-dimensional and can prevent fighters with a different style to succeed, which is a bummer, considering the technical abundance of the art itself.

Last edited:
Muay Thai scoring makes the art impractical. Body kicks are easily caught by mma guys.

Body kicks are easily caught by Muay Thai guys also because that's what they are trained to do, what's your point?

I don't think any High profile MT guys are even thinking of going into MMA.

High scoring = Practical

That's like saying Mayweather's side-on shoulder stance (which is a very defensively effective and high scoring way of boxing) is impractical because it can easily lead to being taken down or lowkicked. It's a moot point because the guy is boxing.

The mentality that MMA is not a sport and is anything like real fighting is very disturbing.

Last edited:
After typing that I felt like I just fed a troll, but whatever.

Parr also said that Knees and clinch work get the most points. Muay Thai scoring is dumb.

Elbows are the highest scoring technique, along with takedowns/throws.

But the scoring is obtuse for a reason - Gambling. People say all sorts of things about this or that without actually knowing anything but things they read or heard second hand.

The most common technique in typical Thai fights is the middle kicks, not always meant to KO or even connect cleanly, but scores well and consistantly.

Body kicks are easily caught by Muay Thai guys also because that's what they are trained to do, what's your point?

I don't think any High profile MT guys are even thinking of going into MMA.

High scoring = Practical

That's like saying Mayweather's side-on shoulder stance (which is a very defensively effective and high scoring way of boxing) is impractical because it can easily lead to being taken down or lowkicked. It's a moot point because the guy is boxing.

The mentality that MMA is not a sport and is anything like real fighting is very disturbing.
Well there is a flaw with your statement because 1) floyd's style can be used in mma. 2) kicks are reduced in mma due to takedowns. 3) CK believes muay thai scoring takes away the potential and effectiveness of mauy thai. This is why he made the thread. Thai boxers dont use head movement muchlike slips and rolls. The excuse they give is "head kicks" or "knees". Perhaps its because they dont know how to slip or roll thats why. Its a mystery CK is trying to decipher.

Elbows are the highest scoring technique, along with takedowns/throws.

But the scoring is obtuse for a reason - Gambling. People say all sorts of things about this or that without actually knowing anything but things they read or heard second hand.

No. Body knees and kicks score the most including strikes that visually hurt the opponent + lady boy positions.

you did but actually there is a point worth making there, because i have observed it myself over the years, where a body kick is more dangerous in MMA because they often seem to get caught. The thing is, the guy throwing the kick is usually a former college wrestler with a bit of "muay thai" training and his timing and hiding of the kick are nowhere near that of a proper MT fighter, nor are his follow-ups to having his kick caught

so yeah the body kick is more dangerous to throw in MMA, on the available evidence, largely because most MMA striking is shit

No. Body knees and kicks score the most including strikes that visually hurt the opponent + lady boy positions.

No they dont but of course you clearly know so much about all kick sports. Why arnt you writing for a well respected kickboxing website?

Elbows score more then body knees. Keep sharing your amazing knowledge though.

you did but actually there is a point worth making there, because i have observed it myself over the years, where a body kick is more dangerous in MMA because they often seem to get caught. The thing is, the guy throwing the kick is usually a former college wrestler with a bit of "muay thai" training and his timing and hiding of the kick are nowhere near that of a proper MT fighter, nor are his follow-ups to having his kick caught

so yeah the body kick is more dangerous to throw in MMA, on the available evidence, largely because most MMA striking is shit

You are totally correct but the issue is the same one most folks in this thread or maybe just one will never admit. certain strikes are more valuable in certain rule sets. Its pretty much simple as that.

Especially when the person trying to question things doesnt actually know anything about the scoring they are trying to debate.

You underestimate mma striking. Watch CMT and you'll see bad striking in 4 oz gloves. No matter how good your kicks are, its gunna get caught. This means body kicks are not as effective in mma fights unless you're not afraid to get taken down. Yod's kicks get caught alot in his thai fight bouts.

No they dont but of course you clearly know so much about all kick sports. Why arnt you writing for a well respected kickboxing website?

Elbows score more then body knees. Keep sharing your amazing knowledge though.

Source? And btw if you insist, you should also be writing for a kickboxing sport as well.

No. It is a problem thatneeds to be addressed. Whyis calderwood getting wrecked? And joe schilling got KOed by a stiff superman punch guy. Lol. Wtf is going on? This leads ck to one conclusion. Muay thai needs a big change.

No. It is a problem thatneeds to be addressed. Whyis calderwood getting wrecked? And joe schilling got KOed by a stiff superman punch guy. Lol. Wtf is going on? This leads ck to one conclusion. Muay thai needs a big change.
CK is a fool for believing Schilling represents Muay Thai as a whole. He's not even top 100 in the sport...

CK is a fool for believing Schilling represents Muay Thai as a whole. He's not even top 100 in the sport...

The thing is... what stiff superman punch guy did to joe can also be done to any top tier thai boxer.

The thing is... what stiff superman punch guy did to joe can also be done to any top tier thai boxer.
Can also be done to any fighting style for that matter. There is nothing in MT that makes it more vulnerable to a superman punch than any other striking art, especially since superman punches and elbows were arguably invented in Muay Thai.

Back