Is Gustafsson better than you thought or is Jones worse?

Nah Jones just looked human fighting a guy his own size for a change. Thats all I saw. With that said Jones showed the heart of a champ and should be getting more praise for this fight but for whatever reason hes not.

Gustafsson exceeded my expectations massively. Jones looked human for the first time ever, but also impressed me with a) having a chin, which we weren't sure about yet and b) having a lot of heart, he'd never been under pressure before, let alone close to losing his title after taking a battering. Both will be top, top 205lb'ers for years to come, amazing fighters.

Can I say neither. I knew Gus was a difficult challenge for Jones. I also picked Jones to win, and of course he did. I also realized Jones is a true warrior (so is Gus). I was starting to see it after the Vitor arm bar that he fought through and this proved it even more.

I'd say Gus is a lot better than I thought he was. I mean Shogun and Te Huna got Gus down, so the fact that Jon couldn't at all till the 5th is just nuts to me still.

Jones has dominated enough elite competition for us to know how good he really is.

Both.

I thought Jones could still use his range fairly well, even against Gus. And if Gus did start besting him I figured Jones would drag him down to the mat with little difficulty.

I guess, I like most people, overestimated Jones overall game.

As for Gustafsson, I honestly believe I was fairly justified in believing he wouldn't be much of a threat to Jones. The man who fought Shogun last year is not the same one that fought Jones. That man was getting nailed by predictable haymakers over and over, this time he was much more technical and efficient.

Last edited:
i expected bones to be dominant and much stronger
now that feeling is gone

gus is def better than i thought, particularly in stuffing jones' takedowns.

however, jones' stock rose after the fight as well. his ability to take punishment and keep moving forward was enlightening.

Gus' wrestling & TDD was most certainly MUCH better than I had anticipated. I thought Jones would take him down and smash him regularly. Boy, was I ever wrong. Gus has mad skills.

It further confirmed that Jon has bad boxing. His footwork is bad, his reactions are bad, and his hands are bad. He does have great kicks though and his ability to land that spinning elbow is very impressive.

Nothing really surprised me about Gus. His TDD was on point because he has equal leverage to Jones on top of the solid wrestling he's learned.

I am not a fan of Jon Jones and I did score it for Gus but hats off to both men for providing such a gem of a fight.

I'd say a bit of both.

Gus stock definitely went up after this fight - he proved he can hang in there with a dominant champion like Jones.

Jones stock somewhat stayed the same for me. It went up in the fact that he finally fought somebody who he couldn't dominate, and was able to win while taking a lot of punishment. However, it went down in the fact that it somewhat exposed how valuable his height / reach advantage really is. Gus is the first guy who he doesn't have a massive advantage over, and we saw the result.

It is hard for me to decide

neither.
Jon showed he's human. But then he displayed a HUGE heart by being hurt and yet keep on fighting.

Gus was pegged as having no chance. And emerged as a HUGE fan favorite as the "people's champ".

Gus showed he had the style and is good enough to keep up with a guy most believed was way too far ahead of anyone else.

IMO both guys had their stock gone up...

Gus's TDD is much better than I thought and he clearly has better hands than Jones.

Jones's head movement needs work, looked slow and awkward. He also needs to better develop his jab. An aside, Jones is a lot tougher than I thought he was.

Neither one. Gus is exactly that good as I've expected. I knew Jones is gonna get struck by some lighting bolts from Odin, so he's not any worse.

I thought that GUS will win, but bad luck occured. He actually won, yet wasn't awarded with the belt.

jones striking is just as bad as I believed. His TDD is a bit worse, though I believed his single leg balance never was as good.

Gus has takedowns and better TDD. Just as good in the striking, just as i expected would get kicked.

For me, Alexander is better than I thought. I was not impressed with his fight vs Shogun or Silva b/c I thought he coasted too much and didn't look to finish. OBviously I'm impressed with his performance vs Bones.

No, I thought he's just as good as I thought. I knew he would put up a great fight against Jones just based on previous performance and size, I just wasnt convinced he'd win against him, which turns out to be right too.

Gus is better than I thought. I was never really impressed by him prior to this last fight.

Both fighters improved their stock with that absolute war and FOTY candidate. This benefited Gus more than Jones, but neither guy leaves that fight a loser.

Gus:
1- Better than we all thought
2- Able to make the most dominant LHW champ in UFC history look mortal
3- No question whatsoever as to who the #1 contender is
4- True Warrior

Jones:
1- Took an absolute beating and kept going like a warrior
2- Pulled off a clutch move in the 4th that saved his belt and broke the LHW title defenses record.
3- Showed more heart than anyone believed he had

Back