Is Gustafsson better than you thought or is Jones worse?

they both did as i thought. alex had the range to get inside like jones is not used to before and jones showed he has tricks up his sleeve...a rematch will be REALLY interesting now that the men know the measure of one another

I really think Jones was off that night. What Jones has done can't be changed, so I'd have to say Gus was better than I thought, but I don't think he's as close to Jones as he looked Saturday night. When they fight again Jones is putting him on his back and beating him up from there.

I'd have to say Gus is waaaay better then I gave him credit for. he was getting caught by matt hamil standing up

Both.

I had no idea Gus was that tough and did not know he could keep up his cardio as well as he did, plus his Greco-D was very good. Still, he threw basic combinations for the most part, and relied almost wholly on boxing, without many kicks or true takedown attempts... and yet was still tagging Jones.

I always said that Jones was just fighting small opponents (comparatively) and relied on his size/frame to look impressive. Now we know that to be true.

I don't think Jones is as good as so many thought (not shocking because this always happens with over-the-top fans) and I don't think Gus was as ho-hum as I thought he might be coming into the bout.

it was a hell of a fight and Jones got the nod because he was champ. If Gus was defending champ, he'd have got the nod. If it was a regular 5 rounder, again Gus would have gotten the nod.
This is the most sensible summary I've heard and I agree 100%

Gus is better than I thought. I was in shock when he stuffed Jon's takedowns.

I really think Jones was off that night. What Jones has done can't be changed, so I'd have to say Gus was better than I thought, but I don't think he's as close to Jones as he looked Saturday night. When they fight again Jones is putting him on his back and beating him up from there.

Yeah, I think Jones just forgot to do that last Saturday. Maybe Greg Jackson can remind him the next time.

Both. I personally didn't think Gus would be alive by midway through round 2 :eek:

This fight showed Gustafsson has far better takedown defence than I realised and that Jones' Boxing defence needs about 5 more years work once his reach is negated.

It doesnt work, Bonnar, Obrien and Vera were all Jones size with similar reaches and jones made quick work of them.

Gus is a good fighter with fast hands and great TDD which nuetralized Jones strongest weapon his wrestling and that was the factor.

Had size ben such a factor Bonnar, Obrien and Vera would have beaten Jones as well.

He didn't make quick work of Bonnar. In fact, I think the first round Jones ever lost was likely against Bonnar.

To be honest I think I just realized Gus is not as much of a finisher as I thought, cause I had him KOing Jones, but his last, what was it, three fights were all decisions. And Jones' striking is better than I thought, I didn't think he'd be able to really hurt Gus on the feet. I already knew his punches weren't great, but his elbows were way scarier than I thought.

Alex was better for sure. I thought he was going to be taken down with ease but he really gave it to jones. Very impressive.

I underrated Gus so much before this, I thought Jon was gonna trash him. Was a great fight, both men have loads of heart.

Both.

I had no idea Gus was that tough and did not know he could keep up his cardio as well as he did, plus his Greco-D was very good. Still, he threw basic combinations for the most part, and relied almost wholly on boxing, without many kicks or true takedown attempts... and yet was still tagging Jones.

I always said that Jones was just fighting small opponents (comparatively) and relied on his size/frame to look impressive. Now we know that to be true.

I don't think Jones is as good as so many thought (not shocking because this always happens with over-the-top fans) and I don't think Gus was as ho-hum as I thought he might be coming into the bout.

Well said, this exactly...

I think the 2 fights prior set Jones back. Its hard to get better when your dominating mismatches. It happens all the time in sports where a team walks through cupcakes and once they play a competitive team they struggle. Competition always elevate your game.

Gus much better than I thought. And Jones one of the two best P4P.

If I thought Gus would KO Jones, does that mean I think Gus is actually worse than I believed prior to last weekend?

Seriously though, Gus was awesome. He did everything I wanted him to and proved he was a top notch fighter. Actually both guys really earned my respect. Gus for the aforementioned, and Jones because when he was down he battled back, showed the heart of a lion and won the championship rounds.

The decision wasn't relevant, both men were superb. That's the sort of title fight films like Rocky were based on. Epic stuff.

Back