Is Gustafsson better than you thought or is Jones worse?

Gustafsson is way better than people gave him credit for. Myself included. I always liked him, but he made me a fan Saturday!

Both.

But I didn't realize that Jones has no power at all on his hands. He didn't land punches. Even when he got that chance on 4th round. He had a minute to knock Gus out and tried everything, but a punch. Weird!

jones never had much power in his punches, which is why he should never go to hw bc trading with those guys would be very bad. Lucky his chin is not bad though

Did you see the thread for the Papy Abedi weigh in? How about the hype for Lombard, Overeem, Uriah hall, etc... And the insults grown at anyone saying Anderson could lose to Weidman. How about the brigade of people saying "Jones hellbows rd 1" leading up to the Gus fight.

This is a repeating trend that is only affecting a certain demographic of fighters. I'm not being racist by acknowledging that this site is pretty ridiculous in how get hype certain guys.

Lombard, Overeem (for the most part),and Uriah both destroyed a lot of "cans" and people got hyped for them, you got me with Abedi as I didn't see that. Now Jones and Anderson are winners and the biggest winners have the most rabid fanbases (GSP, Jones, Andy until the Chris Weidman brought about the end-times). These things can also be attributed to fighters having great legacies, being considered legends, etc. (Rampage before he got all whiny, Vitor, Shogun, Wand, the list goes on) I don't really see the trend you're getting at.

Last edited:
I knew Gus was this good......and I knew that once Jones fougth someone like Gus, he wouldnt do so well and holes in his game would show. But Jon still won so obviously he's the top LHW

Jones is worse, I thought his wrestling was better than that... it's evident now that he depends too much on being able to out-leverage shorter fighters in the clinch. That won't work well for him against guys like JDS who I fully expect to drop down to LHW and destroy jones after getting destroyed by Cain again.

Gus already proved he had an iron chin and great hands in the shogun fight.

Jones' skill was overrated and his heart underrated.

I like this. I'm glad to see both sides of this coin, I love to see heart in the cage, but at the same time I love to see a hype train derailed, unless the hype is warranted, and in Jone's case it was not warranted. Now granted he might be the best LHW out there, but that is not saying much these days.

Gus is better, nobody expected his wrestling to be as good as he showed it to be. Including Jones! Yes Jones won the kickboxing match in very close fashion but it was clearly just Plan B (which in my opinion just proves how great he really is, aside from answering all remaining questions about his heart and chin)

Gus was better than I thought.

I thought Jones would stand with him for a while, get hit a bit then decide to take him down and elbow him up.

Turned out he couldn't take Gus down.

Gus was definitely better than I thought...

Gus' tdd is better than I thought.

JJ's striking is better than I thought.

Ive said it plenty of times that Gus will do better than Machida and Rashad combined, but I never expected him to perform THAT well. Jones was clearly gunshy after that slam and stuffed takedowns in the first round.

Gustafsson is way better than people gave him credit for. Myself included. I always liked him, but he made me a fan Saturday!

All of this. I don't think anyone expected Gus to take Jones down and be able to defend Jones' takedowns so well, that was the real surprise.

both. gus looked way better than I expected and fought a perfect fight, but even so I still feel alotta people thought jones would handle him a lot easier than he did. I think we finally saw what happens when jones fights someone equal in size/age who is game and not afraid to bring the fight to him, instead of guys that are 5-10 years older, 6 feet with 74 inch reach and just stand right in front of him. jon is obviously an amazing talent but I think its now clear that he is not as impressive when his physical advantages are negated.

Did you see the thread for the Papy Abedi weigh in? How about the hype for Lombard, Overeem, Uriah hall, etc... And the insults grown at anyone saying Anderson could lose to Weidman. How about the brigade of people saying "Jones hellbows rd 1" leading up to the Gus fight.

This is a repeating trend that is only affecting a certain demographic of fighters. I'm not being racist by acknowledging that this site is pretty ridiculous in how get hype certain guys.

What about Conor McGregor? I can't think of a guy, except maybe Brock Lesnar, who had this much hype after 2 fights in the UFC. Even to a lesser extent you can look at someone like Wonderboy, how high people were rating him when he came in. It doesn't matter who it is, when guys are winning impressively, fans build them up.

Gus has always been great at striking, offensively that is. He just had to shore up his wrestling and he did. Jones still needs to improve on his boxing and head movement but overall, I think both of them are good fighters with room to grow. They are both 26 and have not even entered their primes yet. The Future is mighty bright.

Both.

I'm not a fan of either fighter. I was rooting for Gus because I don't like Jones, but I nevertheless favored Jones to win by Sub or TKO going into the fight. I thought he would stand with Alex for a little bit, lose, then get it to the ground and get a finish once it was clear he was getting beat standing.

I never thought very highly of Jones' standup; I always thought his success was built mostly on his wrestling ability and ground game. I thought Gus would do very well for himself if he could stay standing; I just didn't think he'd be able to do it.

In the fight, Gus impressed me greatly with his TDD and his strength; he shoved Jones down/away several times, and effortlessly dragged himself to the cage and stood up after getting taken down in the 5th. His wrestling was also better than I thought it'd be too. And he clearly outboxed Jones.

I scored it 3-1-1 Gus. I can see 3-2 Gus. A Jones scorecard, while not unfeasible, is just incorrect. He got worked over standing, and couldn't bring it to the ground. If he was winning the standup, he wouldn't have been desperately trying to get Gus down throughout the fight.

And if Gus was so close to getting finished in round 4, as the Jones nuthuggers like to claim, well, Gus wouldn't have proceeded to shake off two Jones TD attempts after the elbow. And if Gus was so fucked on the feet, why didn't Jones just continue the attack standing?

Bottom line is, Gus got buzzed for a few moments, and recovered very quickly. 30 seconds of offense doesn't outweigh 4.5 minutes of Gus picking Jones apart in round 4. Fairest score for round 4 is a 10-10 round. Gus lost round 5. But he won the first 3 clearly.

Gus exceeded expectations and showed himself to be the best man in the division last night; Jones was very lucky to escape with the belt. He wouldn't have made it without the hype and marketing muscle the UFC is putting behind him. There was a lot more for them to lose if the guy they're hyping as a transcendent crossover athlete, MMA's Muhammad Ali, the American with endorsements, lost to some Swedish fellow who was a 9-1 underdog and being underestimated by everyone before the fight.

both. gus looked way better than I expected and fought a perfect fight, but even so I still feel alotta people thought jones would handle him a lot easier than he did. I think we finally saw what happens when jones fights someone equal in size/age who is game and not afraid to bring the fight to him, instead of guys that are 5-10 years older, 6 feet with 74 inch reach and just stand right in front of him. jon is obviously an amazing talent but I think its now clear that he is not as impressive when his physical advantages are negated.

It doesnt work, Bonnar, Obrien and Vera were all Jones size with similar reaches and jones made quick work of them.

Gus is a good fighter with fast hands and great TDD which nuetralized Jones strongest weapon his wrestling and that was the factor.

Had size ben such a factor Bonnar, Obrien and Vera would have beaten Jones as well.

Back