Is Gus' terrible physique a reason people pick against him?

Terrible physique?
Gus?
Really?

Maybe TS has a terrible sense of what an MMA fighter's physique should be.
Gustafsson is in better shape than at least 90% of the UFC roster.

Gus by being a better fighter..

Many fans are going to have reality check soon..

I stopped Judging fighters by their physiques the moment i saw roy nelson KO cheick kongo.

For me it was the moment someone show me a Youtube video of Fedor vs Randleman. I tought at that time: "that fatso is going to get raped, somebody should stop that", and when I saw the suplex I tought I was watching somebody dying.

I knew who Randleman was, because they were showing old UFC fights in my country, but PRIDE was new to me.

jotH8dS.jpg

I'm picking against him because of how he violated Phil Davis on TV

sherdog's infatuation with fighter musclezzzzz continues

Terrible physique?
Gus?
Really?

Maybe TS has a terrible sense of what an MMA fighter's physique should be.
Gustafsson is in better shape than at least 90% of the UFC roster.

I am assuming he's talking purely aesthetically, for the ignorant fan with low knowledge about the sport. He's yet to make that distinction though, which leads me to believe that TS is not the brightest kid. 'Terrible' is also a very poor word choice.

Bader is Davis is the real main event and LHW title as far as I'm concerned. Two of the best, if not the best, physiques at LHW.

TS got a point and he's right. Just look at when Gus fought Manuwa, some people said he would get killed because "Manuwa's arms are twice as big".

Gus looks like what you are supposed to look like if you are a healthy athlete who eats clean and doesn't use PEDs.

People are so used to seeing PED bodies these days that when they see someone who is clean, they think they are out of shape. Pretty sad.

Well,Fedor and AS didn't have the body of Brock Lesnar but ruled their divisions for years

black-sports-online-anderson-silva-wants-fight-jon-jones.jpg

fedor.jpg

I am assuming he's talking purely aesthetically, for the ignorant fan with low knowledge about the sport. He's yet to make that distinction though, which leads me to believe that TS is not the brightest kid. 'Terrible' is also a very poor word choice.

The ironic part is that to many women the tall, fit and lean body type is far more aesthetically pleasing than the Brock Lesnar meat-head type.

Guy has a deceptively bad physique for a killer

I think you may have a point? The reasons they do weigh-ins is so that we can see the condition of the fighters. Most fans can tell if a fighter is in good lean condition, flat, dehydrated, muscled up/down. It's part of the psychological game if I'm looking ripped and muscular and you look like a tired Ethiopian that could get in your head.

Gus should do a few body shaping exercises he looks great until he has to take his shirt off.

The ironic part is that to many women the tall, fit and lean body type is far more aesthetically pleasing than the Brock Lesnar meat-head type.

Very true.

Alexander_Gustafsson_27.jpg

Looks good tbh. No romo.

But its the truth. The vast majority of MMA fighters cant be called masters of anything, they're just a jack of all trades not excelling at anything. it wouldn't be fair to call Jon Jones a great kickboxer because he's good for MMA standards when they are guys who dedicate their lives to it and have forgotten more about kickboxing technique than Jones has ever known. The great kickboxer is a master of his craft, the good for MMA standards kickboxer isn't a master of that craft.

Are you even a fan of MMA? Because you don't seem to get what it is about at all.

What craft is it you speak of, martial arts mayhaps?

The kickboxers, boxers and wrestlers you seem to idolize are completely inferior to the supreme mixed martial artist, for the simple reason that they need rules to protect them.

What you claim is Jones' lack of fundamentals is in reality the style that is a result of what a mastermind has deemed the most useful in regards to his personal potential. The rest of the techniques you claim he's never been taught have actually been DISCARDED.

I realize this might be difficult for you, but if you think about it, you'll start to see how the style these "masters of their craft" use are completely dependant on their opponent acting a certain way and refraining from certain techniques. And their response if these rules are broken is not something smart to counteract it, like it is in MMA, instead it's "HEY THAT'S NOT FAIR :'("

Martial arts is The Art of Defending Yourself and Disabling Your Enemy. How good are you really at defending yourself if you have the need to hide behind rules?

Just look at boxing, no shoving, no spinning for added momentum, you can't even rightly call it the art of the fist. Look at wrestling, you're not even allowed to wrestle invidual limbs. What Jones did to Glovers arm is PURE wrestling, the greeks would be in awe. While the modern wrestlers would be crying about rules being broken.

It inhibits innovation and makes the whole game predictable. That's why MMA is the far superior sport. The rules are all meant to lengthen the career of the athletes, not reduce their chances of getting creative or finding new ways of attack.

Gustafsson is a fantastic boxer, because he doesn't sacrifice his balance, (which would make his TDD terrible) he doesn't lean far out with his hands low (since that would allow even a wrestler to land a headkick) and he incorporates takedowns into his boxing. (because it's a great way to tire the opponent and put ideas into his head)

How are the pure boxers superior when they stand hardly a chance if they can't tell him not to do that? how are they "masters of their craft" when their craft is a fabricated mess?

The true craft is martial arts, and the MMA proffessionals are the masters of it. :icon_evil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back