Is Gus' terrible physique a reason people pick against him?

Loss 15–2 Jon Jones Decision (unanimous) UFC 165 September 21, 2013

Loss 9–1 Phil Davis Submission (anaconda choke) UFC 112 April 10, 2010

Haha, you actually did that? First of all, Davis is not explosive. Secondly, he was NOWHERE NEAR top 5 at the time of the fight. You can't count like that, lol.

LHW in particular doesn't have very many even good pure strikers currently, Gus being the best LHW striker today doesn't mean much. I'm not talking MMA standards here i'm talking being a master of something, which Gus isn't. he's average at everything. any decent kickboxer would smoke him in a kickboxing match, any decent BJJ guy would tie him up in a BJJ fight, etc.

You can't apply 'pure' anything to mma. You obviously have to count by mma-standards. By how you're thinking, pretty much no one is anything but a jack of all trades.

Gus average at everything?

He's easily the best boxer, not only at LHW but in all of the UFC. Let them put boxing gloves, and I'm sure Gus will beat the sh*t out of all opponents. He's that good.

People overvalue claims like that, the amount fo genuinely talented boxers in the UFC can be counted on two hands tops. Gus would still get smoked by most even just decent boxers, ergo he's not a master boxer. individual MMA standard of talent doesn't even compare to the standard of talent in boxing, BJJ, kick boxing, etc.

Yet he seems stronger than Silva, Jones and Manuwa and al this other muscleguys. Big suprise, big muscles does not help you in mma, strenght does. And Gus has viking strenght.

he looks like a tall slim version of Barnett

People overvalue claims like that, the amount fo genuinely talented boxers in the UFC can be counted on two hands tops. Gus would still get smoked by most even just decent boxers, ergo he's not a master boxer. individual MMA standard of talent doesn't even compare to the standard of talent in boxing, BJJ, kick boxing, etc.

Well, good thing he said best boxer in the UFC and not in the world. Any pure top boxer, BJJ-player or wrestler would also get raped by any decent MMA fighter.

And that is why your standards for being a 'master' in something is silly. Nearly every single one of the roster is a jack of all trades when you think like that. And being for instance an elite kick boxer doesn't mean much by itself until you can translate it to mma.

You can't apply 'pure' anything to mma. You obviously have to count by mma-standards. By how you're thinking, pretty much no one is anything but a jack of all trades.

When you're talking about someone being a jack of all trades/master of none you can. its true for most MMA fighters, only a select few truly excel in any one area.

When you're talking about someone being a jack of all trades/master of none you can. its true for most MMA fighters, only a select few truly excel in any one area.

So in other words Jon Jones is also a jack of all trades by those standards.

Weighin Gus a few years ago, call homo if you like but that's a great physique, his waterweight seems to land in his belly and hips.
19_UFC120_Alexander_Gustafsson.jpg

Here is his teammate, and i guess they have a similar dietician, dem genes man.
weighin-15-copy.jpg

So in other words Jon Jones is also a jack of all trades by those standards.

Jones seems to have some elite wrestling though he never advanced to the elite levels to test it. His striking lacks a lot of the fundamentals still to this day.

Is this news to you that MMA fighters aren't the best of the best at everything? They're mercenaries taking little bits and pieces from pure martial arts.

Jones seems to have some elite wrestling though he never advanced to the elite levels to test it. His striking lacks a lot of the fundamentals still to this day.

Is this news to you that MMA fighters aren't the best of the best at everything? They're mercenaries taking little bits and pieces from pure martial arts.

I'm not arguing that, I'm arguing your use of the word. I think it's a bad term if that's your standards for it.

I'm not arguing that, I'm arguing your use of the word. I think it's a bad term if that's your standards for it.

But its the truth. The vast majority of MMA fighters cant be called masters of anything, they're just a jack of all trades not excelling at anything. it wouldn't be fair to call Jon Jones a great kickboxer because he's good for MMA standards when they are guys who dedicate their lives to it and have forgotten more about kickboxing technique than Jones has ever known. The great kickboxer is a master of his craft, the good for MMA standards kickboxer isn't a master of that craft.

But its the truth. The vast majority of MMA fighters cant be called masters of anything, they're just a jack of all trades not excelling at anything. it wouldn't be fair to call Jon Jones a great kickboxer because he's good for MMA standards when they are guys who dedicate their lives to it and have forgotten more about kickboxing technique than Jones has ever known. The great kickboxer is a master of his craft, the good for MMA standards kickboxer isn't a master of that craft.

So in other words it's pretty much a useless term for mma. Since being a master kickboxer doesn't necessarily mean you'll be a good striker in mma and so forth.

So in other words it's pretty much a useless term for mma. Since being a master kickboxer doesn't necessarily mean you'll be a good striker in mma and so forth.

It sums up the sport though.

Obvious troll job, and it's not even a good one, despite hooking a few guys in the thread already.

3/10 and I am being generous.

One thing about Sherdog, just when you think you think you've identified the most stupid people in the world by reading a painfully obvious troll thread, you find that there are even more stupid people by seeing those who respond to it seriously.

I expect Sherdog has an average I.Q. of a budgie, a particularly dim witted budgie.

Back