Is GSP the only GOAT candidate without an Iron chin?

How does every GOAT thread turn into some kind of hatefest with a bunch of retards posting weird chit and unrelated gifs.

Yeah GSP probably has the weakest chin out of the 4 GOAT candidates. I don't think Fedor's chin was anything truly special though, he just had insane heart. Silva and Jones' chins fit the definition of an iron chin.

Would say Anderson is #1. Sent to Shadow Realm in his GOAT Prime by Weidman and almost sent him there again in the rematch...and was almost flatlined by Bisping. Also tapped twice in his Prime, one while ranked #1 at 170 by a guy 4-15...

I agree the pay difference between low and high level fighters is important, but GSP started out being low paid too, but kept at it. In fact that's true for almost every fighter who becomes a champ (the exceptions being Brock and Rousey, who the UFC wanted from day one).

I don't think you can divide heart between taking punishment in training vs taking punishment in an actual fight the way you do. It feels the same in both cases. Its possible that GSP quite as soon as things got rough in sparring, but I very much doubt it -- he was too successful in the cage for that.

Moreover, he kept going through some pretty rough handling in the cage. He was hospitalized after the first Penn fight (GSP skipped the press conference to go straight to the hospital, something Hendricks didn't come close to doing to him). He was hit as least as hard by Condit'd kick as by Serra's punch, but held on (I suspect because his camp taught him what to do in that situation after the Serra fight). He came back against Hendricks in the last round (I think he still should have lost 48-47 but he definitely won the last round) when a quitter would have just packed it in (either just running away the whole round or even quitting on the stool) instead of digging deep to find a way to win the round. How about continuing the fight against Shields despite losing vision to eye-pokes? Why not just quit at that point, like 99% of us would have done? As tough as most Sherdog posters are, I don't see most of us wanting to fight Shields when we couldn't see much of what was happening.

GSP did quit twice, against Hughes and against Serra. I suspect both were because he didn't know what to do. There's probably an escape to Hughes' choke (I don't remember off hand) that he missed, but I suspect he didn't know it. Same for blacking out from Serra's punches, there are things he could have done (and later did to against Condit), but he probably didn't know. Its the same for Fedor and Anderson tapping out -- sometimes you don't know how to escape. Did they lack heart as well?
I'm not saying anything about GSP's heart. I was just saying you are comparing 2 different things. Some fighters will live at the gym early in their career, or sleep at their friends couch, we've all heard those stories. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. Others may choose to live in their own place and have actual bills to pay. So it's all different situations. Plus GSP started out at those gyms, so he was groomed as their fighter they brought up and trained to that level. So that proves my point. Fighters that come in with a skillset they didn't groom needs to be established already so they can get paid the percentage from their fight pay. Gyms have seniority and usually don't just put focus on the new guy vs guys they've groomed over the years unless he is already a paid fighter they can profit off of. At the end it's all about money. The fighters they groomed they know will most likely stay with them through their careers.

That's why some mma fighters have this thing about gym loyalty and staying with the same gym/coach throughout your career and others focus more on trying to learn as much as they can from as many fighters/trainers/coaches they can. It's very different in boxing, in boxing fighters switch their trainers all the time with no issues. Of course certain fighters stick to certain trainers because it works for them so no reason to change anything up. But in mma it's tend to be looked at negatively when fighters change things up to get better. Like current Usman situation, Dillashaw, and others that have changed gyms/camps. But then also diss fighters like Ronda and Conor for not switching their training/gym/camps up.

So at the end of the day lots of politics are involved and it's not as simple as just coming in to train.

Last edited:
Fedor fought much harder hitters than GSP did.

GSP fought prime Hendricks, Condit, Alves, Koscheck and even Penn delivered some hard KO's. GSP's chin stood up very well against these KO artists.

Fedor faced mostly grapplers in Japan and he mostly avoided the strikes of the hard hitters he did face. I will avoid mentioning fights where he's old(unlike some of the retards here who discredit someone like Silva's chin) but he only took solid hits from Cro Cop, Fujita, MW Dan Henderson and Rogers. And all of them badly hurt him or even knocked him out.

If your legs turn to spaghetti every single time you get hit hard, it means you have a below average chin. Fedor did not have a great chin on any fucking universe, his fanboys are completely delusional if they think they can claim that. He had heart, defense and will power. Not chin.

GSP has the weakest chin out of the GOATs and was the only one to get KOd by an undersized fighter in his prime

I mean how many times did GSP actually got visibly rocked and knocked down besides Serra 1?

And Condit landed that headkick that knocked GSP down on the temple, not in the chin

sonnen100_medium_medium.gif

c4b64cdb2c0acb7f0fde1a5fe1652eae.gif

UFC168-ChrisWeidmanXAndersonSilva-Rd1-SloMo1a-400-sg.gif

UnawareBowedChinchilla-max-1mb.gif

EvenDevotedBuffalo-size_restricted.gif

Ok dude, considering Silva's shameful career decline and history of cheating you should really lay off the GSP hate.

Your envy is unbecoming. It's pretty sad actually, and it just draws more attention to Silva's failure.
@ teh Spider

Dude you're obsessed, let the hate go, it doesn't make you look good
Screenshot_20210221-215011_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210221-215018_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210221-215022_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210221-215025_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210221-215030_Gallery.jpg

How mant finishes after getting killed by serra. One? Against bisping? Lmao

Lol, he still end up with more finishes in his resume than decision wins, more belts, and never lost a fight again. That weighs more than finishing fights when it comes to GOAT status.

You think? Fedor ate bombs from Cro Crop, Arlovski, Rogers, a filthy knee from Schilt and still walked them down. Before the Hendo fight the only time I recall him rocked was the Fujita fight
He didn’t eat any bombs from any of them though. He took a hard cross from cro cop that wobbled him. Neither Arlovski or rogers landed anything close to a bomb. What fedor did well was avoiding taking a big shot. Which is true for most of the guys we are talking about.

Gsp doesnt even have confidence in his own chin lmao. But gsp nutthuggers do.

Also, GSP doesn't even have confidence that he is considered the GOAT. But sherdoggers do

Untitled-2.jpg

GSP fought prime Hendricks, Condit, Alves, Koscheck and even Penn delivered some hard KO's. GSP's chin stood up very well against these KO artists.

Fedor faced mostly grapplers in Japan and he mostly avoided the strikes of the hard hitters he did face. I will avoid mentioning fights where he's old(unlike some of the retards here who discredit someone like Silva's chin) but he only took solid hits from Cro Cop, Fujita, MW Dan Henderson and Rogers. And all of them badly hurt him or even knocked him out.

If your legs turn to spaghetti every single time you get hit hard, it means you have a below average chin. Fedor did not have a great chin on any fucking universe, his fanboys are completely delusional if they think they can claim that. He had heart, defense and will power. Not chin.

Welterweights don't come close to having the power that heavyweights do. Going as long as Fedor did without getting knocked out is practically an impossible feat that no other heavyweight has come close to replicating.

He didn’t eat any bombs from any of them though. He took a hard cross from cro cop that wobbled him. Neither Arlovski or rogers landed anything close to a bomb. What fedor did well was avoiding taking a big shot. Which is true for most of the guys we are talking about.
Rogers landed some very heavy ground and pound on him bro. Even busted him up

GSP has the weakest chin out of the GOATs and was the only one to get KOd by an undersized fighter in his prime

He certainly didn't get flying scissor heel hooked by a Japanese can though.
upload_2021-3-6_12-19-10.png

He also didn't get dominated from bell to bell by a can 2 weight classes below him
upload_2021-3-6_12-20-18.png

He also didn't go on an embarrassing run like this
upload_2021-3-6_12-21-11.png

He also didn't get popped for steroids <6>

Rogers landed some very heavy ground and pound on him bro. Even busted him up
He busted him up standing with like the first jab he threw. It wasn’t a bomb that opened him up. The gnp was not the type of gnp that finished most fighters.

He certainly didn't get flying scissor heel hooked by a Japanese can though.
View attachment 838294

He also didn't get dominated from bell to bell by a can 2 weight classes below him
View attachment 838295

He also didn't go on an embarrassing run like this
View attachment 838296

He also didn't get popped for steroids <6>
It’s easier to not go on an embarrassing run when you retire early. Marciano didn’t get knocked out at the end of his career, Louis and Ali did.......

GSP does have a really good chin.

He ate every single huge shot from Hendricks and didn’t drop once. Shots that sent so many guys to the shadow realm georges took.

Welterweights don't come close to having the power that heavyweights do. Going as long as Fedor did without getting knocked out is practically an impossible feat that no other heavyweight has come close to replicating.
Big nog went just as long. Herring never really got stopped by strikes to the head. The fact is that there were rarely big upset knockouts back then at hw. Randleman over cro cop was one of the few.

GSP haters are the most pathetic scum on Sherdog.

I mean people have the right to stand by their own opinions. I get that. But there's a reason why this community and prolly the majority of the whole MMA world has him as the consensus #1 P4P GOAT. I think it's telling something. Just saying.

Untitled-2.jpg

I'm not saying anything about GSP's heart. I was just saying you are comparing 2 different things. Some fighters will live at the gym early in their career, or sleep at their friends couch, we've all heard those stories. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. Others may choose to live in their own place and have actual bills to pay. So it's all different situations. Plus GSP started out at those gyms, so he was groomed as their fighter they brought up and trained to that level. So that proves my point. Fighters that come in with a skillset they didn't groom needs to be established already so they can get paid the percentage from their fight pay. Gyms have seniority and usually don't just put focus on the new guy vs guys they've groomed over the years unless he is already a paid fighter they can profit off of. At the end it's all about money. The fighters they groomed they know will most likely stay with them through their careers.

That's why some mma fighters have this thing about gym loyalty and staying with the same gym/coach throughout your career and others focus more on trying to learn as much as they can from as many fighters/trainers/coaches they can. It's very different in boxing, in boxing fighters switch their trainers all the time with no issues. Of course certain fighters stick to certain trainers because it works for them so no reason to change anything up. But in mma it's tend to be looked at negatively when fighters change things up to get better. Like current Usman situation, Dillashaw, and others that have changed gyms/camps. But then also diss fighters like Ronda and Conor for not switching their training/gym/camps up.

So at the end of the day lots of politics are involved and it's not as simple as just coming in to train.

My bad, I thought you were mainly responding to the posts about GSP lacking heart. I agree there's a lot of politics in MMA (and every other sport). And just about every job too, as far as that goes. I would add that politics is a definite aid or hindrance, depending on which side of it the athlete is, but its not enough in itself. A lot of team favorites (and fan favorites) don't have the drive or discipline (or heart) to take advantage of all the support they're given -- just about every coach has seen that. Kids with a lot of obvious talent who everyone supports, but who don't want to work or quit when the going gets tougher (I suspect in a lot of cases these are kids who were pushed into the sport by parents but who really wanted to do something else).

My bad, I thought you were mainly responding to the posts about GSP lacking heart. I agree there's a lot of politics in MMA (and every other sport). And just about every job too, as far as that goes. I would add that politics is a definite aid or hindrance, depending on which side of it the athlete is, but its not enough in itself. A lot of team favorites (and fan favorites) don't have the drive or discipline (or heart) to take advantage of all the support they're given -- just about every coach has seen that. Kids with a lot of obvious talent who everyone supports, but who don't want to work or quit when the going gets tougher (I suspect in a lot of cases these are kids who were pushed into the sport by parents but who really wanted to do something else).
It all depends on the situation. There will be favorites because they have been at the gym longer and is a product of the gym. Compared to a new guy that may be better but is not really a product of the gym. That's where the politics come in to play. That's why for those situations it's better with established fighters because they train for their upcoming fights and get the percentage of the pay. So these situations are not about favorites, it's more about business.

Forgot about your hero getting fuckin flatlined by the weakest lead left hook imaginable. Fuck, worse than baders on fedor . You are so delusional its mind boggling

GSP haters are the most pathetic scum on Sherdog.
I dont even know why we still bother replying to @TheSpider . He refuses to carry on any conversation in a thread that won't garner more likes for his post / like ratio, as they are deep in the pages and will typically only post if he can be among the first, or at least page 1. And its always just stupid rinse repeat comments that he knows his pleb friends will like. Take his recen thread about "prime fedor unbeatable" or whatever the fuck. Guy is such a joke lol

"Likes dont lie!!!"
His famous reply when he has nothing else. In a system he games cause its So important to him

Back