Is GSP the only GOAT candidate without an Iron chin?

These threads bring out the worst quickly.

Fact is none of them got their chin really cracked in their absolute prime. If you put Aldo in the conversation he did but I don’t even think that should lead to any conclusions on the quality of his chin. Mark hunt got knocked out. Doesn’t speak to a weak chin, or even a weaker chin than anyone in this thread.

These threads start as veiled hate threads and quickly become a real hate free for all.

I wouldnt say just chin but overall perhaps the one without extreme heart? not to say either were really "bad" but the others did tend to have absolutely iron wills and were incredably hard to put down.

If he didn't have extreme heart he'd have quit after being hospitalized by Penn after their first fight. Or after being choked out by Hughes. Or finished by Serra. Or knocked down by Condit. Or wouldn't have come back to win the last round against Hendricks. Talk to any coach of any contact sport, they'll tell you most people quit long before they even get to that point.

More to the point, no one without a lot of heart goes anywhere in professional sport. You lose to everyone when you first start playing a sport, you get battered around in practice and in games. You have to sacrifice constantly, work out when you don't feel like it, accept losses and move through them. Most people give up long before they get to that point.

Anderson tapped in his physical prime, as GSP did. Fedor tapped later on, but still tapped. If not going out on your shield is a sign of lack of heart, then Jones is the only one who qualifies. And Jones was caught using PED's, which is hardly a sign of having heart (ie in believing you can win without them). The reality is though that they all had far more heart than 99% of the population. Most people quit long before they make it to professional ranks in any sport, because they lack the heart to train that hard and on days when they'd rather be relaxing, to work through all the bad days of training when everything goes wrong.

There's a lot of criticisms you can make about GSP or any pro athlete, but not having extreme heart simply doesn't apply. People with average heart simply don't get far enough that you'd have heard of them.

So what do you mean by GOAT candidate then? Is it who they are in their primes, or their career as a whole?

Coz when you say GOAT, OAT means "of all time", not "in their primes".

Better change your thread title to "is GSP the only GOAT candidate without an iron chin IN HIS PRIME?" then.. which I'm pretty sure most would say NO
Before their chin deteriorated I’d say, just like Hendo and Hunt, even tho both had monstrous chins, they were KO’d by strikes that wouldn’t KO them before that.

If he didn't have good heart he'd have quit after being hospitalized by Penn after their first fight. Or after being choked out by Hughes. Or finished by Serra. Or knocked down by Condit. Or wouldn't have come back to win the last round against Hendricks.

More to the point, no one without a lot of heart goes anywhere in professional sport. You lose to everyone when you first start playing a sport, you get battered around in practice and in games. You have to sacrifice constantly, work out when you don't feel like it, accept losses and move through them. Most people give up long before they get to that point.

Anderson tapped in his physical prime, as GSP did. Fedor tapped later on, but still tapped. If not going out on your shield is a sign of lack of heart, then Jones is the only one who qualifies. And Jones was caught using PED's, which is hardly a sign of having heart (ie in believing you can win without them). The reality is though that they all had far more heart than 99% of the population. Most people quit long before they make it to professional ranks in any sport, because they lack the heart to train that hard and on days when they'd rather be relaxing, to work through all the bad days of training when everything goes wrong.

There's a lot of criticisms you can make about GSP or any pro athlete, but lack of heart simply doesn't apply.

GSP certainly didnt lack for motivation outside of the cage I'd agree, probably a case for the most professional and well preped fighter in MMA history.

In terms of being put in bad positions and being able to work though them effectively thoguh I would say you could question is he as good as some of these other names? I mean he'd not poor by any means, something like the kick Condit landed comes to mind but the difference betwee GSP/Serra and Fedor/Fujita does come to mind.

Fedor is definitely in contention for GOAT, but suggesting he had an "iron chin" is straight up insane.
You think? Fedor ate bombs from Cro Crop, Arlovski, Rogers, a filthy knee from Schilt and still walked them down. Before the Hendo fight the only time I recall him rocked was the Fujita fight

These threads bring out the worst quickly.

Fact is none of them got their chin really cracked in their absolute prime. If you put Aldo in the conversation he did but I don’t even think that should lead to any conclusions on the quality of his chin. Mark hunt got knocked out. Doesn’t speak to a weak chin, or even a weaker chin than anyone in this thread.

These threads start as veiled hate threads and quickly become a real hate free for all.
Yeah I didn’t put either Aldo or DJ because I considered them just a little below those listed.
But DJ as well could be in that same normal chin category, the only hard strikes I remember landing on him were by Dodson and knocked him down, but due to insane defense it wasn’t amount to nothing

When I think of bad chins, I think of fighters who go out cold. Gsp was caught off guard, but that was just a bad night. Sometimes you have to give fighters a free night pass because of how unpredictable a fight can be.

Before their chin deteriorated I’d say, just like Hendo and Hunt, even tho both had monstrous chins, they were KO’d by strikes that wouldn’t KO them before that.

The Serra 1 KO started when he got hit in the temple, not in the chin. He lost his equilibrium already.
And he also got headkicked in the temple in the Condit fight, not on the chin.

GSP has taken shots on the chin in his prime but they never really staggered him like how prime Silva got staggered and got his hands on the ground when Chael tagged him.
sonnen100_medium_medium.gif

You never see GSP get staggered like this in his prime when he got hit in the chin.
*Silva went on to win 4 more straight after this, and that clearly means he's still in his prime during this time
So the correct answer for your question in the OP is NO.

You think? Fedor ate bombs from Cro Crop, Arlovski, Rogers, a filthy knee from Schilt and still walked them down. Before the Hendo fight the only time I recall him rocked was the Fujita fight

I don't remember him eating bombs in those fights. Got GIF's? I remember him being wobbled by a straight punch from Cro Cop though (or maybe caught off balance).

I'm not saying he had a glass chin in his prime, but your chin isn't either made of glass or of iron. Fedor simply didn't get hit a lot in his prime.

Gsp is the only goat to turn into a point fighter after nearly getting killed in the cage. By a undersized fighter. That much is a undeniable fact. Gsp turned into nyquil after that fight. Best sleeo aid ever.

Also out of all the goats. Gsp is the most boring... goats finish fights. Not hold u down for 5 rounds.

Of all the possible GOATs usually they have one thing in common, an iron chin which helps his way of fighting, Jones, Khabib, Andy, Fedor.
But GSP not so much, the rare times which he gets tagged usually wobbles him, he is smart enough to not get finished like he did in the Condit fight, but still, his chin is far away from his GOAT peers.
Rut Roh... 5 pages of insults, justifications, rationalization, white knighting, and strait venom laced hate incoming... can’t you just let sleeping dogs lay TS or are you just in an argumentative mood?

Yeah getting the shit beaten out of you by a guy that would probably be a modern day 145er will usually stick to you for a while.

Serra would never be able to cut to FW. Even LW was too much of a cut for him at that state of his career. he is thick. I would think an adult would know the difference between size and height.

The Serra 1 KO started when he got hit in the temple, not in the chin. He lost his equilibrium already.
And he also got headkicked in the temple in the Condit fight, not on the chin.

GSP has taken shots on the chin in his prime but they never really staggered him like how prime Silva got staggered and got his hands on the ground when Chael tagged him.

You never see GSP get staggered like this in his prime when he got hit in the chin.
*Silva went on to win 4 more straight after this, and that clearly means he's still in his prime during this time
So the correct answer for your question in the OP is NO.
You are right that there’s no way to defend Andy from that gif, he got wobbled by a strike from a weak puncher, buuut as I said since there are more instances of him eating harder punches and not moving and reacting.
The argument for GSP’s chins is more based on the benefit of doubt of not getting KO’d like them, but I think is way more because of his defense, not chin. Because of the others GOATs fighting styles you can find way more evidence of them getting clipped

I mean how many times did GSP actually got visibly rocked and knocked down besides Serra 1?

And Condit landed that headkick that knocked GSP down on the temple, not in the chin

c4b64cdb2c0acb7f0fde1a5fe1652eae.gif

UFC168-ChrisWeidmanXAndersonSilva-Rd1-SloMo1a-400-sg.gif

UnawareBowedChinchilla-max-1mb.gif

EvenDevotedBuffalo-size_restricted.gif
Having a great chin doesn't mean literal chin, it means their ability to absorb hard strikes to the head. Meaning they can take strikes that would KO other fighters.

You are right that there’s no way to defend Andy from that gif, he got wobbled by a strike from a weak puncher, buuut as I said since there are more instances of him eating harder punches and not moving and reacting.
The argument for GSP’s chins is more based on the benefit of doubt of not getting KO’d like them, but I think is way more because of his defense, not chin. Because of the others GOATs fighting styles you can find way more evidence of them getting clipped

Yep, Georges best ability is how to stay within the range and cover distance. He sees the strikes a mile away from coming.

GSP+tapping+to+Strikes.gif

Literally tapped to strikes from a manlet, Canuck.
That he did, still not knocked out, ate bigger shots from Condit and Hendricks.

Show the gifs Fedor getting slumped, or Aldo or Silva. They were rendered unconscious

Back