Is GSP the only fighter to voluntarily vacate a belt on two separate occasions?

Njmma209

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know BJ Penn once voluntarily vacated the WW belt to leave the UFC. Then we have McGregor/Jones who were forcibly stripped twice but neither voluntarily vacated... GSP is the only guy I can think of that vacated twice.

We all remember him opting to retire instead of giving Hendricks a rematch
D95C61FB-59D0-4EFF-8C73-A46C2B583F58.jpeg
E6C5B103-39AD-4829-B2EF-AD5A45A608EA.jpeg

And then most recently be had a competitive war with Michael Ping and then chose to vacate a month later instead of facing #1 contender Robert Whittaker
3096F2DD-2B06-464F-A8FA-D09878639A4A.jpeg

Is there anyone else sherdoggers?

Probably. I mean how many UFC fighters have even held a belt on two separate occasions?

You already know the answer. Oh yeah and before I leave GSP= GOAT.

Probably. I mean how many UFC fighters have even held a belt on two separate occasions?
Including interim belts...

BJ Penn, Jon Jones, Daniel Cormier, Conor McGregor, Jose Aldo, Randy Couture, Frank Mir, TJ dillashaw, Dominick Cruz. Just to name a few off the top of my head.

GSP seems to be the only one to give up his belt twice without a fight. Cool stat to have I guess. Correct me if I’m wrong though.

GSP's PR team is very mindful of his public image and doesn't want him holding on to a belt he has no intentions of denfending in order to preserve his positive image.

Max should give up his belt if he doesn't make it to his next fight.

GSP's a dumb ass. If he had stayed and fought at least twice more in 2014, he could have broken Silva's record for all-time consecutive title defenses but no, he chose to leave and forgo the chance of having such a monumental accolade.

At this point beating GSP is a far higher accolade than holding a UFC Championship. GSP's above the UFC, he's a championship of his own.

GSP's a dumb ass. If he had stayed and fought at least twice more in 2014, he could have broken Silva's record for all-time consecutive title defenses but no, he chose to leave and forgo the chance of having such a monumental accolade.
Only to have mighty mouse beat him shortly after.

lame move by gsp, lay like a snake in the grass for 3-4 years, waited for someone he can beat handily to win a world title, come out of retirement challenge him get a instant title shot, beats michael fucking bisping then leaves again... AFTER STATING on numerous occasions that it wasnt a one and done, that he would DEFEND vs Whitaker/Romero ... greasy slime bucket

McGregor vacated his belts, he just pretended he was striped

Or maybe he doesn't live his life trying to out-do anyone else and instead loves his life for his own reasons.

GSP's PR team is very mindful of his public image and doesn't want him holding on to a belt he has no intentions of denfending in order to preserve his positive image.
So pretty much his PR team and GSP himself was convinced that Hendricks (in a rematch) and Whittaker would have KO’d him if he didn’t vacate?

I would say thinly veiled GSP hate thread, but its not even thinly veiled.

To answer your question, he is the only GOAT to ever do that. He is actually the only GOAT to ever do anything, since he is the only GOAT.

Not fighting and getting stripped or voluntarily vacating are the same thing, they were not going to defend it.

I know BJ Penn once voluntarily vacated the WW belt to leave the UFC. Then we have McGregor/Jones who were forcibly stripped twice but neither voluntarily vacated... GSP is the only guy I can think of that vacated twice.

We all remember him opting to retire instead of giving Hendricks a rematch
View attachment 432499
View attachment 432503

And then most recently be had a competitive war with Michael Ping and then chose to vacate a month later instead of facing #1 contender Robert Whittaker
View attachment 432501

Is there anyone else sherdoggers?

No there isn’t anyone else. Another reason why he’s the GOAT

Back