Is GSP the GOAT if he wins the LW title? If not then who?

Fedor, Bones, Anderson, and DC are the clearcut top 4 for me. After that, there's a slight, but noticeable dip to GSP, Aldo, Hendo, Wandy, Chuck, Shogun, etc.

GSP is already the GOAT and was before beating Bisping too.
As much as I dislike GSP and his lay and pray 5 years of 25 minute dominance, I accept that argument more than those who try to use the Bisping fight to say he is GOAT.

Well played GSP nuthugger

Dude, you must be an idiot lol.

Read your own post again and come back to me.

The most stacked division you say. Aha, okay. So I'm supposed to give him credit for being a fighter who was just fighting 30lbs above this division, to drop down and fight a smaller guy, he'll either fight Conor who is a former Featherweight, as well as a Lightweight champion who never beat another Lightweight before being handed a title shot. Or, if Khabib wins, he'll be fighting a guy who got the title by beating Al Iaquinta. GSP would have beaten none of those great fighters in the stacked division to earn his place, he instead is just gifted a shot lol. That's like saying Michael Bisping became a Middleweight GOAT contender after one good night against Rockhold, because he was handed a title shot.

Wakey wakey pal. Walking in and fighting a smaller man doesn't make you the king of the most stacked division in the world. Defeating great fighter after great fighter like Tony Ferguson is what it takes to receive a legacy in a division. GSP is the 170lb king, but hasn't fought there in 5 years either, he needs a big splash to get that GOAT talk even remotely sensible in this day.
Even if he somehow makes LW, it won't really do anything for him. Going down in weight is pretty embarrassing, especially when you are already a big WW.

Khabib will be on his way and Conor especially will be the GOAT if he loses though.
do you morons understand that gsp will have to weight cut if he go down to 155?

if its was as easy as you guys are saying, then why didnt gsp just fought all his career at lw? he would be bigger than his competition, he should win easily following your "logic"^

khabib missed weight before, he his cutting as much weight as possible, if gsp make the weight, how is khabib at a size disadvantage?

if its was as easy as you guys are saying, then why didnt gsp just fought all his career at lw? he would be bigger than his competition, he should win easily following your "logic"^

khabib missed weight before, he his cutting as much weight as possible, if gsp make the weight, how is khabib at a size disadvantage?

Maybe not Khabib since he clearly is a WW himself, but certainly Conor.

Lol, if he moves down and wins the LW title he'll be the undisputed GOAT for eternity

Since Dana threw Georges under the bus after the Hendricks fight I think he changed his outlook, as many others would too. I think he is now fighting for himself meaning taking fights for his own reasons rather than just fighting whomever Dana or Georges' other haters want to see him fight.

I think he's the greatest champion the UFC has ever seen and in saying that I include intangibles like being the champ both inside and outside of the ring.

If he wins LW it cements the legacy, but it's not absolutely necessary.

Winning a title below your competing weight class is not impressive.

People will always find something no matter what. Even if he had 5 more wins and 3 titles. It's a pointless argument.

This. People who hate him can't find a genuine flaw in his ability or his character. He was/is great at all aspects of martial arts.

No, not at all.

I just think that I'm an educated fan who sees through the bells and whistles.

In most sports, there is somewhat of a tournament which is in place to prove who the best is. The Premier League in England has 38 games, you play every team twice, once at home and once on the road. Whoever has the most points at the end of the year is definitely the best team. The UEFA Champions League is very much the same, you have the best of the best in Europe, divided into groups where you have to play each other twice, top 2 goes into the knockout bracket and every tie after that goes over two aggregated games - only the final is one game. After a tournament like that, the best team wins, if not one of the best. Wimbledon is the same, you earn your seeding via your world ranking and your world ranking is an accumulation of your previous work, you have to beat several good players to win the tournament.

All that said, the same rules for MMA? Nope. Georges St. Pierre was the best Welterweight in the world for a period of many years. Georges is one of the greatest fighters we've ever seen, that was proven by his consistency in winning and over the wide variety of styles he defeated. That said, Georges wasn't ever a finisher, and as much as that is not a prerequisite for being a "great", it can be used as a tiebreaker when legacies are similar a la Jon Jones and Anderson Silva, even Fedor. Georges could have superseded that "criticism" with a trumping tiebreaker of his own, setting himself aside from the pack, doing something seen impossible or improbable. Go and beat Silva in your prime, or come back from your hiatus and walk through Lawler, Wonderboy, Woodley etc. show you're still the king, or even better, defend the title at 185lbs, prove every snivelling doubter wrong.

Instead of doing any of these things, he is now calling out Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor, fighters in the division below. So yes, this "goal" of his would add nothing to his legacy, much like defeating a shop worn, 37 year old Michael Bisping who will never go down in history as anything more than a British MMA pioneer and a Cinderella Man for his night against Luke Rockhold.
Are you really expecting someone to read all that? LMAO

No. Fedor.

LOL good one.

In all honesty, it’s between 5 or so guys. But GSP and JONES stand out the most. Jones is overall goat and GSP is natty goat. Shit, GSP has 2x as many top 5 wins at 18 than fedor. It’s not up for a debate.

Will there be any debate if GSP goes down to 155 and beats Khabib or Conor to become the first and only 3 division champ?

Other GOAT contenders for reference
Fedor: Old school
Jones:Tested positive, but still one of the best ever.
Anderson:Tested positive, but still one of the best ever.
BJ: I wouldn't personally, but all the best fighters say he was clearly the most skilled.
Aldo: He is not the GOAT, but definitely one of the best fighters ever. Top 5 all time for sure.
DC: 2 division champ, beat everyone who didn't test positive for steroids. Undefeated at HW

Who is the GOAT? How would you rank the contenders for the GOAT?
Would rank DC over GSP, on the basis that if they fought, DC would win.

It's often said the truth is the greatest trigger of all.

giphy.gif

Fedor. The GOAT.

A 3rd belt would seal the deal for GSP IMO.. Hard to argue..

Jones can still get it depending on his next few years.. Is he fighting or sitting on suspension?

Jones is completely out of the discussion no matter what else he does.

He has multiple positives.

His entire career is suspect.

Why did he go up there in the first place then? Call a spade a spade.

He saw an easy way of getting a belt, picked on Bisping and it almost backfired, it was 1-1 about to be 2-1 before he landed that sweet shot. He would have NEVER gone up to fight Weidman or Rockhold because they would have killed him.

He was talking about how his next fight was going to be at MW a year before Bisping was champion.

Lol.

Oh okay then pal, so would we commend Jon Jones for chopping off a leg and going down to 185lbs? Would we all of a sudden start marveling at the difficulty of cutting all that weight? Would that somehow become something to praise, or something to boost one's legacy?

Bizarre point you've attempted to make there.

He is already the GOAT. Only biased people deny this.

Fedor is. But If GSP can somehow beat the unbeatable Khabib and win the WW title back. I dont think he needs to fight again. May as well make a movie of him and end it there. He will be my GOAT if he can do those things.

Back