Is going from Blue to Purple in a year too fast?

I spent 11 months as a blue belt. I also trained 6 days a week and twice a day on Tuesdays and Thrusdays. Aside from that I also competed several times and did well. It's all a matter of how your professor feels you are progressing and whether he/she feels your ready for the next step.

The whole "10 year minimum" to get your black belt is a ridiculous concept to me.

that is some serious mileage.

Oh to be young and have the time.

lol.

Mariage and children are so overrated.

Why can't we just train 6 days a week and surf on the 7th day instead of putting up with social pressure into procreating?

lol.

Mariage and children are so overrated.

Why can't we just train 6 days a week and surf on the 7th day instead of putting up with social pressure into procreating?

this guy knows whats up :) i train 6 days a week and 2 times a day on mondays wednesdays thursdays and fridays.

i got my blue in 7 months but still feel i have a way to go before purple even though i have subbed a few purples. only my instructor will know when im ready if its one year or 6 years i will be so proud the day i get that belt.

as my instructor says" purple is a big belt" haha

Yes sir. Purple is huge. That's where you start honing your craft.

Oddly, he didn't even place at pan ams.

I think that's what really scared the shit out of me about pan ams.
Each fight in a single competition is one event. Everyone can get caught. Just because he didn't place doesn't mean he wouldn't ordinarily do better against that level of competition, if you could hypothetically rerun the competition several times. By the same token, just because you win a comp doesn't mean you are better than every other competitor there (though it does mean that is at least possible for you to beat everyone you managed to beat).

I know you're probably joking, but if it came between sport and having kids I wouldn't do sport, simple. Procreating >>>>> sport. At the end, what was Helio Gracie without his kids? He may have been proud to have had a huge part in giving the world BJJ, but that would have been nothing for him compared to the intense feeling of pride he had looking at his sons grow up, even without their rolling prowess. Add that in and you would have found few people who would have died as happy a man as him.

They asked Carlson Gracie Snr the reason behind the vast amounts of sibbling in the Gracie Clan.

His reply was: "TV no good back then".

If your instructor sees that you have an understanding of a solid amount of techniques generally associated with those of the purple belt rank, then I'd say you're a purple belt.

You will probably encounter almost every single position in Jiu-Jitsu in under two years of training (maybe even less). However, it takes different people very different amounts of time to become familiar with and effectively learn and apply techniques from each and every one of those positions. Some people will get it down in one shot, others it may take 100.

Back