Is going from Blue to Purple in a year too fast?

If you were someone from my school you wouldn't put a thread like this on sherdog. If you train for ricardo alameida(a very reputable school) then you should know your jiu jitsu is at the level the instructors believe it to be. If youre at some affiliate school run by a brown belt... i think that changes the situation. Don't question your legit instructors, ever.

this ^

To TS, do you get locked in a 2 years contract once you get your purple?

Why does it take THAT long? Seven years?! How long does it take to be real good at submission wrestling? Shorter than that?
It takes that long because the standards are that high. Purple belts are beast on the mat when compared to whitebelts, but they aren't brown or black belts.

it seems suspect... but some people just dominate at BJJ.
I know a guy who's a 2-3 blue belt after 1.5 years of jiu jitsu. He's legit and dominates me 9/10 we roll.

How is your open guard? are your arm bar triangles omaplatas and chokes spot on. How about takedowns? Could you take over a white belt class and teach basics with full details and perfect technique. Do you know escapes from every postion? If no then, I feel you are not a purple. If yes, congrats and good luck.
You never answered this question

My instructor hinted that I will be getting my Purple belt this december, that makes it a calendar year since I received my Blue. I already have 2 stripes. What do you guys think?

if you win the mundials as a blue belt then you get a free pass, otherwise that is way too damn fast dude.

40 classes per stripe..

So that would be appx 200 classes per belt.

Or 800 classes to go from white to black, and as there are 52 weeks in a year that means that someone would only have to go 3x per week (which would probably be alittle below average) and they would have a BBelt in 5 years....

I don't think that works out very well

So that would be appx 200 classes per belt.

Or 800 classes to go from white to black, and as there are 52 weeks in a year that means that someone would only have to go 3x per week (which would probably be alittle below average) and they would have a BBelt in 5 years....

I don't think that works out very well

I think it is 40 per class for white and then ratio goes up per higher belt.

I spent about a year at blue belt. It's fast for most people but there are alot of variables.

I appreciate everybodys input on the matter, and to one of the responses yes I have been dominating the other blues and higher belts.

I also feel that too much emphasis is put on competition, and not because I have not won a major one.

Well, I wasn't that great of a wrestler and never qualified for state but it did give me a base for my BJJ. My story is not incredible or impressive...I just go to the gym, work hard, and always keep an open mind. The world class black belt I was referring to is Rodrigo Pinheiro down in San Antonio, Texas and that was over a year ago so maybe now I wouldn't get destroyed but just beaten to a pulp :D. I come from a super small gym down in Del Rio, Texas with maybe 6 other guys and my instructor is Kelly Ray Coronado. He is a brown belt( should be a black belt in my opinion ) under Rodrigo but they had a falling out and now he has no affiliate. He will forever and always be my instructor no matter where I am or who I'm training under. I asked him why he promoted me and how he knew I could compete with guys at this level and he simply told me, "Brudda, your time in Jiu-Jitsu may be 2 years but it's like they're in dog years." I respect and value everyones opinion on this forum and would never be dishonest. My name is Ryan Troester and I'm a K-9 handler in the Air Force stationed in Korea, hit me up on Facebook. Everybody take care and have fun with your training!

SkunkApe's story is highly impressive indeed, but he has prior wrestling experience:

So it's not really 2 years of BJJ (that would be phenomenal!), it's 6 years of grappling. Nonetheless, still very amazing!

How is your open guard? are your arm bar triangles omaplatas and chokes spot on. How about takedowns? Could you take over a white belt class and teach basics with full details and perfect technique. Do you know escapes from every postion? If no then, I feel you are not a purple. If yes, congrats and good luck.

Why is this your standard for purple? The only thing I agree on is having good guard/escapes and good take downs, albeit moreso on guard/escapes and less on takedowns. As for the rest, knowing how to do certain moves is nice, but not every move is going to fold into someone's game so who cares if his omoplata is sick if it's not in his normal flow? Why does he need to be able to teach; that is a skill that does not pertain to his ability to perform BJJ.

BTW, I'm not attacking you or anything, just wondering why specific moves and teaching ability matter.

Why is this your standard for purple? The only thing I agree on is having good guard/escapes and good take downs, albeit moreso on guard/escapes and less on takedowns. As for the rest, knowing how to do certain moves is nice, but not every move is going to fold into someone's game so who cares if his omoplata is sick if it's not in his normal flow? Why does he need to be able to teach; that is a skill that does not pertain to his ability to perform BJJ.

BTW, I'm not attacking you or anything, just wondering why specific moves and teaching ability matter.

My point is by purple you should know ALL the basics and be able to teach them. I've said it before a higher leave should be able to teach new guys all moves. Doesn't mean you have to have them in your game but a purple should be spot on on the basics and be able to convey it. It's how are sport will grow and stay technique based

I spent 11 months as a blue belt. I also trained 6 days a week and twice a day on Tuesdays and Thrusdays. Aside from that I also competed several times and did well. It's all a matter of how your professor feels you are progressing and whether he/she feels your ready for the next step.

The whole "10 year minimum" to get your black belt is a ridiculous concept to me.

I spent 11 months as a blue belt. I also trained 6 days a week and twice a day on Tuesdays and Thrusdays. Aside from that I also competed several times and did well. It's all a matter of how your professor feels you are progressing and whether he/she feels your ready for the next step.

The whole "10 year minimum" to get your black belt is a ridiculous concept to me.

Who said theres a ten year minimum? Its more like a 10 year average. Most guys who train regularly and consistently get it between 8-12 years.

Well, I wasn't that great of a wrestler and never qualified for state but it did give me a base for my BJJ. My story is not incredible or impressive...I just go to the gym, work hard, and always keep an open mind.

I think that's been the general formula for success.

I have seen a familiar situation - a guy with no bjj experience but collegiate wrestling experience came in and dominated everybody in class. Got his blue belt very quickly. He was giving everybody a run for their money (including higher than blue belts) from the very beginning. Oddly, he didn't even place at pan ams.

I think that's what really scared the shit out of me about pan ams.

Who said theres a ten year minimum? Its more like a 10 year average. Most guys who train regularly and consistently get it between 8-12 years.

It was in quotes. It's a stigma many folks have about BJJ and many, believe it or not, stick to it. There are many, many camps who do promotions by hours logged not skill applied.

i'd say you better have some good tournament wins at blue belt if you're getting your purple that fast. were you a white belt for a long time though?

I've had my blue for about 14 months now and still not even a stripe, and I train for 2 hours 3-4 days a week. I haven't done anything special in competition though. I've only won silver medals at a couple of small local competitions.

So yeah I'd say that based on my perception, a year from blue to purple is hella fast.

Back