Is Glover just as bad of a matchup for Jones as Gus was?

Nothing pathetic about it. Bader dropped him and earlier in the round had him grasping for a TD after getting caught.

It's safe to say Bader was doing well.

I think he is referring to those people who said that weren't impressed by Glover's performance that night because he got "hurt" by Bader. By that logic they shouldn't be impressed by Jones' performance because he got hit a lot and didn't finish the fight?

But what they don't realize is that Glover remain calm enough to find a way to bounce back and score a TKO vs. Bader, finishing the fight, earning the KOTN $50k bonus, and a title shot. (And still wasn't impressed with his own performance.)

Imo, that's something you gotta respect/admire.

Just my 2 cents though.

Last edited:
There are certain strengths and weaknesses that Glover has in regards to Gus. He lacks the movement and reach that Gus had...reach isnt too bad Glover is 77 while Gus 79. But he does have the power and boxing technique, so he may not hit Jones as much, but when he does it will count. The advantage Glover has is in the ground game, he is excellent at changing levels and mixing up his striking with takedowns. From there I dont have to explain what Glover does on the ground.

We can talk about this fight as much as we want, but it is to early now. Most of the doubters or supporters are basing how Glover will do based his prior fights, which doesnt really make that much sense considering he has a full training camp of 5 months to get ready, trained and come up with a strategy to win. Same with Jones.

Gus improved a lot in his time off. Glover will do the same.

On topic, I wonder if Glover will be able to take Jones down?
He should probably go for submissions once/if he takes Jones down.

I think he can take Jones down, not saying that he will. Some people may think that Glover can take him down just because Gus did--I think he can take him down from what we've seen: a great wrestler.

Nothing pathetic about it. Bader dropped him and earlier in the round had him grasping for a TD after getting caught.

It's safe to say Bader was doing well.

Bader has a nice left hook and the timing was very good that night. He was doing well, but someone said that he was close to being finished which couldn't be further from the truth. His defense, and then offense, was very good after being hit.

Glovers chin is pretty solid....he has never been KO'd or close to. What Glover has over Gus on defense is head movement and the way he covers up. The Ramapge fight shows great defense from Glover. And the Bader finish where he rolls with the punches while blocking and then sets up that counter combo.

Gifs to back your statement up:

iNbkNCzTnk1Db.gif

iMQ33Y8ATwUuI.gif

ib0wOzzcnDbIWI.gif

He has good head movement, and covers up/counters well. You mentioned that he changes levels well earlier; the Te Huna gif shows that.

Last edited:
Glover's not even close to as tough a matchup for Jones as Gus was. Glover has a shorter reach than Glover is 3 inches shorter is much slower and has a glass chin the only things that Glover have are power and BJJ which is irrelevant because Glover will never get close enough to use them. Gus, Davis and Rashad all have a better chance of beating Jones than Glover does. Also yes Glover could get lucky and hit Jones with a good shot maybe but Jones has proven that he's got a hell of a chin.

Glover has the wrestling to force Jones to stand and trade in dangerous exchanges.

Id say Glover has a better chence of finishing Jones than Gus did.

I think glover is tougher he might finish jones

Glover's not even close to as tough a matchup for Jones as Gus was. Glover has a shorter reach than Glover is 3 inches shorter is much slower and has a glass chin the only things that Glover have are power and BJJ which is irrelevant because Glover will never get close enough to use them. Gus, Davis and Rashad all have a better chance of beating Jones than Glover does. Also yes Glover could get lucky and hit Jones with a good shot maybe but Jones has proven that he's got a hell of a chin.

I can't wait until they fight for you to be proven wrong :icon_chee At least you're passionate in your attempts to belittle Glover and ignore any evidence that he has a chance.

Gus improved a lot in his time off. Glover will do the same.

I think he can take Jones down, not saying that he will. Some people may think that Glover can take him down just because Gus did--I think he can take him down from what we've seen: a great wrestler.

Bader has a nice left hook and the timing was very good that night. He was doing well, but someone said that he was close to being finished which couldn't be further from the truth. His defense, and then offense, was very good after being hit.

Gifs to back your statement up:

iNbkNCzTnk1Db.gif

iMQ33Y8ATwUuI.gif

ib0wOzzcnDbIWI.gif

He has good head movement, and covers up/counters well. You mentioned that he changes level well earlier; the Te Huna gif shows that.

All very good examples......it just sucks that so many people will pick on the one thing that doesnt go well like getting slightly wobbled by Fabio or that knock down from Bader, where Glover didnt even get hurt and lable him with a glass chin or say he isnt that good. But yet the 100 other things he does well, gets ignored.

Alot of Jones haters are riding on the Glover wagon right now. But one must ask, is Glover truly as bad of a matchup for Jones as Gus was? He has the KO power and awesome grappling skills but could he prevent Jones from taking him down? He also lacks significant reach in this fight.

I like Glover, I really do. But......I think Jones will destroy him. Jones is possibly going to be the all time GOAT in my opinion. What we last saw was a Jones underestimating a opponent and the opponent giving the performance of his life. Also Jones for the FIRST time got a taste of a real fight....Anyway I think that jones will take that close fight to heart and hes gonna feel like there's something to prove, I just dont think anyone beats a motivated Jones. Yes....Add motivated Jones to the list of motivated Penn and in shape Rua etc haha

He has a punchers chance, but he's not even close to Gus. As Jones said, he's pretty much a Brazilian Rampage with a better BJJ game, however, Rampage probably has better TDD and wrestling so Jones has this.

He has a punchers chance, but he's not even close to Gus. As Jones said, he's pretty much a Brazilian Rampage with a better BJJ game, however, Rampage probably has better TDD and wrestling so Jones has this.

Not quite...
MuKrJAb_medium.gif

Nah. Gus is the best matchup, period, and we all know why. But does Glover present a different kind of challenge? Yes, indeed.

LHW's Junior Dos Santos is going to represent. I would say some shit like even in defeat, he'll impress people (ala Gus) except for one thing. This isn't going to decision.

Jones makes the mistake of letting his guard down for one second and it could be lights out. Just look what happened to Bader. People rag on Glover for getting rocked but pay little attention to how he handled himself immediately afterwards.

He just might find Jon's chin and make Mike Tyson proud.

Slower, shorter reach, worse cardio, and not as good a chin. He does hit with power though. He's still got a shot, but no, he's not as big a threat as Gus.

I would love to see him put a brutal beatdown on Jones, but it isn't happening.

Yeah, all of this.

he doesn't have as good a chin as Gus, lmao it's that simple....don't have to have a glass chin to be worse than someone. Glover has shown he can be rocked, Gus took about 5 head kicks from Jones and didn't even flinch. I guess the point is, I doubt Glover could be in that kind of war with Jones and last 5 rounds. If Glover wins, he is gonna have to stop JJ, imo.

He is slower but he has better ground game...so i'd say a different threat.

Back