Is Frankie Edgar a 'Slow Starter'?

tenniswhiz

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
He comes out busy and fast at the beginning of a fight, so it's not that.

It just seems like it takes him a round or two to figure out his own rhythm, his opponent's rhythm, get his head movement, and his timing.

I think he takes more time than most guys.

I don't think anyone at 145 or 155 could beat Edgar in a 10 round fight.

I think its because he is always the smaller fighter. He would have beat Aldo if the fight was 7 rounds (same time as a boxing championship fight)

His entire style hinges on understanding the stances an tendencies of his opponent. Sometimes he gets caught because he HAS to test it out and it can go very wrong. Often, it loses him the first round. It's like a pitcher who always starts with a 1-0 count.

He comes out busy and fast at the beginning of a fight, so it's not that.

It just seems like it takes him a round or two to figure out his own rhythm, his opponent's rhythm, get his head movement, and his timing.

I think he takes more time than most guys.

I don't think anyone at 145 or 155 could beat Edgar in a 10 round fight.

That goes to decision? Because you do realise that he can be finished early in a 10 round fight?

I think he just doesn't like to open himself up a lot. He likes to feel the opponent out and doesn't like taking chances. That's why he doesn't get the finish as often because a lot of finishing moves leave you open to a counter so he works his jabs and sets up his takedowns.

Good cardio. He starts to shine as opponents fail to keep his pace. May look like he is a slow starter due to this.

Some fighters are naturally slow starters. Donald Cerrone and Jim Miller are like that as well.

i think its his opponents falling into a trap more than edgar doing poorly in the beginning

if you train and spar, you know theres a rhythm that forms. we attack, then break off, we attack, then break off. theres kind of mutual breaks that happen subconsciously. where you both circle off, shake your arms out etc. frankie doesnt do that, he never "resets" then "settles".

its like trying to swat a fly, it swerves around and you wait for it to land so you can smack it. frankie is a fly that constantly goes crazy

what makes his trap worse is that he doesnt really hurt his opponent (unless they leap into his punch), so they dont feel rushed to chase him, and try to catch him during a reset that never happens. before they know it, they lost a decision without getting hurt

I reckon Frankie needs to get hit a few times to get going and get the blood up.

i think its his opponents falling into a trap more than edgar doing poorly in the beginning

if you train and spar, you know theres a rhythm that forms. we attack, then break off, we attack, then break off. theres kind of mutual breaks that happen subconsciously. where you both circle off, shake your arms out etc. frankie doesnt do that, he never "resets" then "settles".

its like trying to swat a fly, it swerves around and you wait for it to land so you can smack it. frankie is a fly that constantly goes crazy

what makes his trap worse is that he doesnt really hurt his opponent (unless they leap into his punch), so they dont feel rushed to chase him, and try to catch him during a reset that never happens. before they know it, they lost a decision without getting hurt

BJ should read this post.

Back