Is Francis Carmont billed as a kickboxer?

He is pretty much a kick boxer who started grappling way later in life as there is no wrestling traddition in France or anything close to it.

He developped his ground game when he moved to Montreal.

He will never be a Cain Velasquez but at the same time... not a whole lot of fighters can have Jacare on their back for almost 3 rounds without being submitted.

This means that he is not without skills on the ground either.

France's Carpet may have once been a kickboxer, but now has turned to the hugside.

He's probably K-1 level but as we've seen many times, that doesn't cut it in the octagon.

I remember people regarding him as one when he first came to the UFC. Has he developed his style into a grappler or do you still think he uses his stand up as his base?

Judging by how he usually stands I'd say he prefers to strike. Of course contrary to the fact that he's been wrestling guys in his UFC tenure.

I see him as a kickboxer who well adapts a MMA wrestling to his own style. I don't see him developed into a 'grappler'.
I think he is talented, just a fast learner like GSP says so he uses takedown to get a secure win.

I also think his upright stance is his own nature and that stance paradoxically works well for his TD game.
with his tall stance, an opponent has to extend his body if he wants to hit carmont's head, but in doing so, he makes himself opening for a counter-shoot and carmont can exploit that very well.

anyway, carmont is actually fun to take a close look!

Last edited:
His striking looked good in the Jacare fight.

in his last 4 fights (totaling 60 minutes) he has landed only 90 significant strikes, 3 every two minutes...I would expect someone billed as a kickboxer to be able to have a higher output than that.

carmonts style is to look scary in his corner like hes going to come out and bang

then he flexes, feints and meanmugs for 15 minutes, occasionally throwing front kicks from way out of range then trying to lay and pray

I see him as a kickboxer who well adapts a MMA wrestling to his own style. I don't see him developed into a 'grappler'.
I think he is talented, just a fast learner like GSP says so he uses takedown to get a secure win.

I also think his upright stance is his own nature and that stance paradoxically works well for his TD game.
with his tall stance, an opponent has to extend his body if he wants to hit carmont's head, but in doing so, he makes himself opening for a counter-shoot and carmont can exploit that very well.

anyway, carmont is actually fun to take a close look!

Thanks for this type of post with a real opinion. I do realize he stands very tall and upright considering he's gone to his wrestling in that stance. It's almost like Lombard's style with open arms. It's a bit odd I'm trying to understand what his style is.

But cheers man good analysis

I remember people regarding him as one when he first came to the UFC. Has he developed his style into a grappler or do you still think he uses his stand up as his base?

Judging by how he usually stands I'd say he prefers to strike. Of course contrary to the fact that he's been wrestling guys in his UFC tenure.
Lol...

Yeah okay.

Carmont is the most boring fighter since Jake Shields.

Shields might actually be less boring than Francis..

CB is gonna turn this guy into a wrestler once he hits him.

I mean, that's what he does but still, he's gonna be rushing for this takedowns once CB lands a punch. This is the first time I'll be rooting for CB Dollaway lol

CB has nothing for Carmont.

Carmont won a round against Jacar

I bet $200 on Carmont to beat Jacare, and it looked like he was going to pull it off until he broke character and actually tried to throw a damaging strike and got taken down in the third.

carmonts style is to look scary in his corner like hes going to come out and bang

then he flexes, feints and meanmugs for 15 minutes, occasionally throwing front kicks from way out of range then trying to lay and pray
Pretty much this. Good post.

Back