Is forcibly holding someone against a fence “dominating” them?

Technically, it would be considered the "dominant" action in the fight if nothing else happens, as it is the only action, but it's essentially just a misuse of the word and what it actually entails. Dominate, and all other forms of the word, is the most commonly misused word in MMA. It's used expressively more often than not, and it tends to skew the GP's perception of what the word actually means. There's levels to this shit, and the only true "dominant" way to win in MMA is to finish your opponent. If a fight goes to a decision, the clock is the determining factor, which makes the clock the dominant party before one is decided upon. If no time limit existed, the fight doesn't end from holding someone against the cage unless that person eventually quits. Control is part of domination, yes, but just a part, not the whole thing. Controlling someone for 15-25 mins by holding them against the cage is control, not domination. Domination in MMA is ending the fight on your own accord against the other person's will. IE: finishing.

Last edited:
I'll take your example:

If you got into a street fight and were held against a wall for 25 minutes, your friends would say, " Dude, what the hell were you doing? Why'd you let him hold you against the wall like that?"

Is that person whispering sweet nothings into the the other persons ear? If so, yes.

Yeah, it total domination. Guys like khabib, john fitch, okami, Sonnen all have this not very fan friendly style but it is clear that they all dominate their opponents.

Gus was getting his ass kicked in the stand up by Jan, but adjusted and took Jan down and dominated him for the rest of the fight and won an easy decision. If that wasn't a domination...then why the hell didn't Jan get up?
Khabib and Fitch in the same sentence...One guy is the definition of lay and pray while the other is one of the greatest GNP'rs of all time. Big difference imo.

Reactions: JAL
If you force another man to do something against his will for 25 minutes it's dominating.

My real question is the people calling it pussy. Who's more pussy: they guy not letting the guy get off the cage or the guy who can't stop the other guy from pinning him to the cage?

It sounds like TS is a Masdival fan and hates Usman.

Khabib and Fitch in the same sentence...One guy is the definition of lay and pray while the other is one of the greatest GNP'rs of all time. Big difference imo.
For the record who has Khabib GnP to a TKO in the UFC?

Answer Horcher and Tavares. Didn't sound like the greatest GnP of all time. See Mark Munoz for devastating GnP.

Khabib is one is the best at controlling his opponents of all time.

No, wall 'n' stall is as bad as lay 'n' pray.
It's definitely winning the fight but far from dominating.

For the record who has Khabib GnP to a TKO in the UFC?

Answer Horcher and Tavares. Didn't sound like the greatest GnP of all time. See Mark Munoz for devastating GnP.

Khabib is one is the best at controlling his opponents of all time.
I guess it's a matter of how much you consider controlling as an aspect of GNP. If a guy's devastating from top position but is easy to get out from under of then it's moot regarding GNP. There's not many LWs in history that can guarantee as much damage as Khabib from top position.

I'd say holding anyone down against their will through a combination of technique and strength for 25 minutes or until an outside factor has to interfere to break or set you free. Let alone holding another trained fighter down for as long as you'd like against their will.

The street fight example seems weird to me. If you tried to fight someone in the street and they pressed you against a wall and you couldn't do anything to stop that for 25 full minutes, would you really walk away after that not feeling completely embarrassed?

No it's a pussies way of fighting, same as lay n pray, it shouldnt even be aloud, it's literally going into a fight to not fight... biitch mindset and I laugh any time these treehuggers n crotch sniffers think they're remotely badass, I've seen 5 year olds fight with better killer instinct than em. If rawdogging was legal then maybe tings would be different.
casual

the real question should be if fighter A has fighter B pinned to cage for whole rd.. ( control ) but fighter B threw more effective strikes who winning the rouund>?
wrestlers say A has control strikers say he was whipping on him whole time better effective strikes!
but yes control is part < of scoring
:mad:

The street fight example seems weird to me. If you tried to fight someone in the street and they pressed you against a wall and you couldn't do anything to stop that for 25 full minutes, would you really walk away after that not feeling completely embarrassed?

I would be humiliated.

Would you say I got my ass kicked though?

If you force another man to do something against his will for 25 minutes it's dominating.

My real question is the people calling it pussy. Who's more pussy: they guy not letting the guy get off the cage or the guy who can't stop the other guy from pinning him to the cage?

It sounds like TS is a Masdival fan and hates Usman.

i didn’t mention Usman or Masvidal.

I’m just being hypothetical here and many people have different opinions.

A show of hands here.

If you got into a street fight and the other guy held you against the wall for 25 minutes, would you say you got your ass kicked?

Sometimes when guys have angry girlfriends try to beat them up People hold them against the wall until they calmed down.

Obviously the guy against the wall doesn’t like it and can’t stop it.

What say you Sherdog?

Depends on how much penetration there was.

Fourth-Company-Gangster-Movie.jpg

I would be humiliated.

Would you say I got my ass kicked though?
No, but the semantics of "dominated" can come into play anywhere. I would say they easily dominated the length of that altercation. They dominated the action. They dominated the fight. Did you get fucked up badly? Maybe not. But I've paid people to tie me down for 25+ minutes, and legally speaking, that was called "domination." So definition-wise, I think we're still in the clear

If you are "controlling" your opponent but not threatening to improve position or doing any damage, its neutral to me. You aren't winning a fight by doing that. If someone pressed his opponent up against the cage for the entire fight and no real effective striking happened and neither fighter threatened to finish the fight or even come close with threatening subs? Fuck that fight and both fighters. Its a draw to me.

Way more fights should be viewed as draws if their isn't a decisive victor. Close decisions are trash and ruin this sport. Make guys go for the win. Too many passive fighters just seem happy to be in a fight and aren't looking to finish it.

Back