Is forcibly holding someone against a fence “dominating” them?

A show of hands here.

If you got into a street fight and the other guy held you against the wall for 25 minutes, would you say you got your ass kicked?

Sometimes when guys have angry girlfriends try to beat them up People hold them against the wall until they calmed down.

Obviously the guy against the wall doesn’t like it and can’t stop it.

What say you Sherdog?

If hes holding u and striking then yea u got ur ass kicked and got manhandled

If hes just holding you ...then the ref will separate u...as the rules say to

If you dont like clinch work or grappling watch boxing

Not to me. It's still winning though.

The whole cage thing only exists because "it looks cool". The ring prevents this shit

If a fighter is making another do something against their will, I'd say it's dominant. Might be boring for some, but controlling a professional fighter is no joke. And controlling a professional fighter that's also a D1 wrestler, black belt BJJ, or any famous grappling accolades is another level above that.

A prime example is Usman vs. Mas. Usman obviously held Mas in place no matter how hard he tried to get out. Sure it's boring, but he did force Mas to be useless, and maintained his belt with barely any damage. Mas knew exactly that's Usman's MO, and had time to train for it, it was up to him to find a way to stop it.

I appreciate MMA for it's mixture of strategies and techniques. If I wanted to just watch people stand and bang, I'd switch over to BKFC.

It's not fighting to win it's fighting not to lose.

A show of hands here.

If you got into a street fight and the other guy held you against the wall for 25 minutes, would you say you got your ass kicked?

Sometimes when guys have angry girlfriends try to beat them up People hold them against the wall until they calmed down.

What say you Sherdog?

6OpNW6.gif
giphy.gif

Tank Abbott and Garry Goodridge say yes.

ok, but what if you break the other guy's foot with a foot stomp, then keep stomping his broken foot for the next 3-4 minutes? i guarantee that foot is gonna be mangled.
yeah, but so what? if the guy can keep going with a broken foot and the opponent just keeps stamping on it, instead of using that injury to set up a finish, that's just one more reason to not score for it.

If someone is holding you against a fence or in any and you can’t do anything about it, then you’re getting dominated.
Fight back if you can.

The goal isn't just to hold the guy. They're being patient and waiting for an opening.

It's why high level grappling is boring as hell to watch. People are being patient.

It's the same reason guys don't just stand and throw hooks rock em sock em style.

In a street fight there's a garbage load more variables. You could probably also use the fence as a weapon. Also, you take someone down in a street fight there's no mat. It's typically a lot more devastating.

Holding a guy on the fence is the same as dancing and jabbing with no significant strikes. It's winning, but you're not beating anyone up.
I don't think its that. I think just beccause you're a good open mat grappler doesn't necessarily make you a great mma grappler and most of the best grapplers are no where near the best mma grapplers. The ones that are grappling in mma at the elite level seem to be newer to grappling.

Yes, usman is dominate but that's due to his strength in the grappling and clinch exchanges. Most of them learn how to stay in safe poistions and that's it. They don't look to advance position because they're not that skilled to advance anyway. The ones that do have been doing it for a long time or they're generational talents that pick it up quick like jones.

I doubt usman, colby, or woodley could threaten an armbar while at the same time having a triangle the way khabib did to gaethje or any of their past opponents. I doubt usman could get an armbar from the crucifix the way jon did against vitor.

Dominant includes damage, not pitter patter strikes or lack of strikes all together.

Example- Usman CONTROLLED Masvidal, not dominated. Props to Usman, but hard to win fans with that style. And yes I totally understand it's up to Masvidal to prevent him from doing so, so kudos to Usman for playing within in the rules to win

Usman 50-45’d Masvidal in the clinch like that so I would say yes

No it's a pussies way of fighting, same as lay n pray, it shouldnt even be aloud, it's literally going into a fight to not fight... biitch mindset and I laugh any time these treehuggers n crotch sniffers think they're remotely badass, I've seen 5 year olds fight with better killer instinct than em. If rawdogging was legal then maybe tings would be different.
Dummy of the day.

Its a tactic to use its not fighting this is a sport who ever gets more points wins...

Under hooking youre oppenant to the fence used to run the clock down. Setup a take down. Stall or taking a break. It is also dominant in the judges eyes.

The whole cage thing only exists because "it looks cool". The ring prevents this shit

Mate cage allows downed fighter to stand up and defend. In Pride when they got you down you stayed down. Also ropes allow same boring shit as fence only difference is that ref broke fight if they were clinching on ropes.

A show of hands here.

What say you Sherdog?
Dominated them physically.

Dominated them in the "control" criterion of MMA scoring.

Didn't dominate them in a fight.

All three are different subjects, so depends which one you're speaking on.

Back