Is Fight Club overrated?

Alphaboy

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I remember seeing it after hearing all of the hype surrounding it. Don't get me wrong, it was a good movie but I don't think it lived up to the hype. People put too much extras on that movie.

I think it spoke to the everyday square guy who works a 9-5, and gave them fantasies of being an alpha male.

Tyler Durden - 's character is also overrated. Every guy obsesses with him as the epitome of a bad-ass male. Brad Pitt was what, 160 lbs tops in that role? I know he is some sort of God to incels and wanna be PUAs alike. Okay, he has on glasses and a late 90s/early 2000s messy hairstyle... why does this cause so many guys to jizz their pants?

Then again, I seen this movie many years ago, can someone tell me why this movie and Tyler Durden are canonized?

"Fight Club is the White Man's Scarface" - Patrice O'Neal

giphy.gif

Yes it is overrated. Still a good movie

I've always loved it, It came out at a time when I really enjoyed fighting though.

Can one of the triggered Fight Club fangirls in this forum explain why this movie deserves to be mounted on a golden plaque?

Me and @revoltub ain't seeing it.

You know how they say there is no such thing as a stupid question, well there is.

It's one of the cleverest and most memorable films in our last culturally productive decade. Came at just the right time to adjust public opinion of fight culture, allowing MMA to be flourish in the near future.

Entertaining, original, memorable, witty, with excellent escapist ambience. All the things asked for in a movie.
I don't see the problem.

Probably a little bit. Those who love it, love it slightly more than it deserves. But it's still a very good movie.

Your painting with a very wide brush there. Yes there are some people that put more in the movie than is there, people have done the same thing with "boondock saints" "rick and morty" and even "Scarface" just to name a few. For which I think was a hilarious thing for Patrice O'Neal uses as a reference to take a dig at "white people", a movie so many black men take as the epitome of perfection is viewed as a complete joke by the Cuban American community other than for camp value. Pacino's poor attempt at a Cuban accent alone is cringeworthy. Hell I don't think there was one person of actual Cuban descent in a major role in the whole movie, not to mention its a remake with the original version being an Italian mafia type figure. Talk about a movie that spanned a broad spectrum of absurd levels of projectionism and insecurities, but O'Neal used it as the gold standard for coolness to put down white people with their poor copy.
Movies/shows like this delve into a deeper desire for men (regardless of skin color, religion or nationality) for purpose and commitment to a common goal. Hell it is half the recruitment material for groups like ISIS or pretty much any other recruiting group. Not the "fantasies of being an alpha male", if that is what you took from it, it speaks more to your needs and ambitions than that of the general public's' reaction/appreciation for the movie.

Or were you just offended to see a weenie at the end of the movie?

It's one of the cleverest and most memorable films in our last culturally productive decade. Came at just the right time to adjust public opinion of fight culture, allowing MMA to be flourish in the near future.

Entertaining, original, memorable, witty, with excellent escapist ambience. All the things asked for in a movie.
I don't see the problem.

Thank you for supporting your assertion.

Can one of the triggered Fight Club fangirls in this forum explain why this movie deserves to be mounted on a golden plaque?

Me and @revoltub ain't seeing it.

Ive seen forums where people defended fight club to near insanity. There is nothing people can surprise me with in this thread. Like I said, I like the movie, but there absolutely is an incel fantasy nudged deep down. It is also a very "bro" film.

Your painting with a very wide brush there. Yes there are some people that put more in the movie than is there, people have done the same thing with "boondock saints" "rick and morty" and even "Scarface" just to name a few. For which I think was a hilarious thing for Patrice O'Neal uses as a reference to take a dig at "white people", a movie so many black men take as the epitome of perfection is viewed as a complete joke by the Cuban American community other than for camp value.

I agree. I think Tony's character was impulsive, too emotional, and irrational in his operations. Not sure why his character is idolized either, it was a fun character though!

Pacino's poor attempt at a Cuban accent alone is cringeworthy.
I've seen him get accolades for his performance in that role.

but O'Neal used it as the gold standard for coolness to put down white people with their poor copy.

That quote really bothered you that much, huh?

Not the "fantasies of being an alpha male", if that is what you took from it, it speaks more to your needs and ambitions than that of the general public's' reaction/appreciation for the movie.

Now you're speculating, I never asked you to do that.

Or were you just offended to see a weenie at the end of the movie?

There was?! Now I gotta watch it again!

giphy.gif

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-23_10-49-19.jpeg
    upload_2018-8-23_10-49-19.jpeg
    6.6 KB · Views: 2
Back