is Fernand Lopez a good coach ? Should Gane move to US ?

Jean-MMA

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Screen_Shot_2019_08_08_at_13.38.48.0.png

I used to call him the bravest pad man in the world.

in recent interview he shit on Ngannou, saying the guy has no gratitude ,didnt follow the directives and the gameplans.

Fighters from MMA Factory :
Christian Pumbo former Bellator LHW champ,Ngannou,Gane,Sokoudjou,Le Banner,Ion Cutelaba ..
https://www.mma-factory.fr/article/eleves

They teach Luta Livre I believe Fernand is a BB. But wrestling is no high level in France.
is he a French Edmund or legit coach in your opinion ? Can Gane learn more at AKA or Tristar for exemple ?

He's legit coach, he created MMA Factory from scratch. But being a frenchman myself, I know the french MMA scene is not at the highest level yet, but you have to consider there's not a lot of MMA gym, not even BJJ gyms in France, so it's quite logical. Hopefully there will be a lot more great french MMA fighters in the near future.

The grappling in France is far behind and probably will be for a while

Screen_Shot_2019_08_08_at_13.38.48.0.png

I used to call him the bravest pad man in the world.

in recent interview he shit on Ngannou, saying the guy has no gratitude ,didnt follow the directives and the gameplans.

Fighters from MMA Factory :
Christian Pumbo former Bellator LHW champ,Ngannou,Gane,Sokoudjou,Le Banner,Ion Cutelaba ..
https://www.mma-factory.fr/article/eleves

They teach Luta Livre I believe Fernand is a BB. But wrestling is no high level in France.
is he a French Edmund or legit coach in your opinion ? Can Gane learn more at AKA or Tristar for exemple ?

In a recent interview* he talked about how he basically trained Ngannou for free at MMA Factory when he was homeless, he also provided him with free equipments and financial aid. The problem is, When Ngannou started making money he didn't even consider paying Fernand or paying the 600€ annual membership fee to train at MMA Factory, and when Fernand confronted Ngannou about it he just said he didn't know he was supposed to give a % of his purse to Fernand. Ngannou then explained the reason why he doesn't pay for the gym membership is because he's the one making MMA Factory and Fernand famous.

* Link to the interview (interview in french)

Would be interesting to hear Ngannou's POV about this, because hell, this coach here might be straight up telling the truth since he's got nothing much to lose at this point spilling out the beans when it comes to whatever happened in that gym.

But maybe Ngannou is the type of fighter that gets lessons ingrained to him the hard way. Hell, Stipe fight wouldn't even count in Ngannou's mind since even with less than stellar technique he never got close to getting KO'd cold.

I think he is a brilliant and very knowledgable coach with a strong personnality that doesn't suit everyone.

Since you speak french, watch this documentary on his preparation for Dontale Mayes and listen to the discussion he has with Gane before the sparring. Then watch the Mayes fight. It's mind blowing, he had Mayes figured out 100%, the fight happened exactly how he predicted even to the final heel hook.

In one of Ngannou's pre UFC fight (Baldutti I think), he gave him step by step instructions on the ground that basically gave him the victory.

i think he's telling the truth. when he said that Ngannou told him "i don't want to study it feel like i am in school again, i believe in my instincts more" is very telling in my opinion. that's exactly how Ngannou fights, instinctual.

Back