Is Fedor vs. Cro Cop still...

BJ vs GSP 2
Anderson vs Sonnen 2
Lesnar vs Mir 2

it was a good fight but since it was in japan it did nothing for to help mma. if this hype was in the ufc then yes, fact is pride, dream k1 has done nothing to grow mma, thats why there bankrupt. only hardcore fans and few countries out side of north america watched jmma. ufc is the only reason mma is here to stay, so most of big hyped fights that matter are in the ufc

Dumbest post of the year.

Liddell-Ortiz was huge here in the USA, was biggest UFC fight ever imo. Fedor-CC was huge in Japan, not so much here. Ortiz-K. Shamrock was huge in USA also, but maybe not as historically important as the other two.

For being the recognized consensus two best HWs in the world at the time finally coming together, yes.

I'd be loathe to give it to a fight in another division since HW has always been the alpha division in fight sports.

As far as actual awareness or hype there's half a dozen fights in the UFC before or since that would eclipse it, but that's a statement about the relative interest in UFC and PRIDE and the explosion of interest in MMA in general since then.

Off hand,

Liddell-Ortiz I
Liddell-Ortiz II
GSP-Penn II
Silva-Sonnen II
Lesnar-Mir II
Lesnar-Couture

Would all eclipse it.

For being the recognized consensus two best HWs in the world at the time finally coming together, yes.

I'd be loathe to give it to a fight in another division since HW has always been the alpha division in fight sports.

As far as actual awareness or hype there's half a dozen fights in the UFC before or since that would eclipse it, but that's a statement about the relative interest in UFC and PRIDE and the explosion of interest in MMA in general since then.

Off hand,

Liddell-Ortiz I
Liddell-Ortiz II

GSP-Penn II
Silva-Sonnen II
Lesnar-Mir II
Lesnar-Couture

Would all eclipse it.

I think a lot more people watched Fedor vs. Cro Cop than Liddell vs. Ortiz 1 & 2 when you take the Japanese fans into consideration.

Yeah right, how many people watched that fight in North/South America?

Where is MMA most prominent right now?

Check mate.

Imo that fight loses some points since it wasn't between two best fighters in the world. Mir was ranked #3 and Lesnar #5.

Aoki was ranked #2 lw for a long time until he fought stateside, left top10 in a hurry.
sometime rankings dont tell the whole story, look at last bcs championship game.

People of today have to understand context. Fedor vs Cro Cop was a clash of the titans fight. An exciting match-up of the best Heavyweights in the world at the time, where people already knew Fedor had the answer for the near-unbeatable Nogueira but how would he fair against a top tier K1 striker who had been winning against good competition in Pride.
If Fedor vs Nogueira was Ali vs Fraser, then Fedor vs Cro Cop was Ali vs Foreman.

Liddell-Ortiz was huge here in the USA, was biggest UFC fight ever imo. Fedor-CC was huge in Japan, not so much here. Ortiz-K. Shamrock was huge in USA also, but maybe not as historically important as the other two.

Aoki was ranked #2 lw for a long time until he fought stateside, left top10 in a hurry.
sometime rankings dont tell the whole story, look at last bcs championship game.

Are you seriously comparing #2 ranking of Aoki who was the Dream LW champion (arguably had better LW division than UFC in 2008-2009), had several top 10 wins and 23-4 (1) record (0-2 vs. Sakurai, 1-1 vs. Hansen) and lost a decision to one of the best fighters of his division who was a nightmare match-up stylistically to Lesnar's #5 ranking when he was 3-1 and his only big win being much older and lighter Couture?

I think a lot more people watched Fedor vs. Cro Cop than Liddell vs. Ortiz 1 & 2 when you take the Japanese fans into consideration.

I don't think I can speak intelligently as to the viewing habits of Japanese MMA fans in 2005-7, so I'll cede the point.

cain/jds2
sonnen/silva2
penn/edgar2
daiz/gsp <--- didn't even happen yet and its bigger lol.
overreem/lesnar (people get to put all their racism on the line)

I'm a huge pride fan, but the fact of the matter is current UFC audience is WAY larger than the pride audience ever was, we loved it but we were the niche, now I see commercials for events while watching sunday football. See what I mean there?

2004 fedor would clean up, 2013 UFC HW in all honesty his footwork was too insaine back then.

People of today have to understand context. Fedor vs Cro Cop was a clash of the titans fight. An exciting match-up of the best Heavyweights in the world at the time, where people already knew Fedor had the answer for the near-unbeatable Nogueira but how would he fair against a top tier K1 striker who had been winning against good competition in Pride.
If Fedor vs Nogueira was Ali vs Fraser, then Fedor vs Cro Cop was Ali vs Foreman.

I wasn't a fan back then but from what I've understood fans were also pretty evenly divided on who was going to win this fight and that added to the hype and excitement of this fight. A lot of people were sure that Cro Cop would connect with a LHK sooner or later (he kind of did) and that would be the end of Fedor's reign.

I don't think I can speak intelligently as to the viewing habits of Japanese MMA fans in 2005-7, so I'll cede the point.

Well all their big shows (numbered cards, tournaments and NYE shows) were always sold out with +40k attendances and they did a lot better TV ratings than any Fox shows.

The only fight that would beat Fedor/Cro Cop in hype in my opinion would be Anderson Silva vs. Jon Jones.

Back