Is Fedor vs. Cro Cop still...

Ogawa and Yoshida was in the making for 13 years of build up with a feud stemming from the Japanese national sport. It is the bigger and more important fight in Pride. In terms of historical importance to the HW division, it isn't really the most important fight either.

It wasn't historically important and neither Yoshida or Ogawa were ranked in top 10. Fedor vs. Cro Cop had both of those things and it had two years of hype and rivalry behind it and it was a huge fighte when it happened.

It wasn't historically important and neither Yoshida or Ogawa were ranked in top 10. Fedor vs. Cro Cop had both of those things and it had two years of hype and rivalry behind it and it was a huge fighte when it happened.

Two years of hype isn't greater than over a decade. It was a big fight for westerners I guess, but it wasn't close to the biggest one in Pride. It isn't the most historically important HW fight either in terms of top guys fighting. Fedor ducking out of Final Conflict 2003 hurt the hype for it too, it would have been a bigger fight then.

So if you judge it by ranking importance it isn't the biggest, and it isn't even close to being the biggest in terms of hype or draw in Pride.

Last edited:
Put in perspective you would have to say no. In fact it may not even be in the top ten. The reason is that MMA is stronger now in the US and Brazil than it ever was in Japan. Also, the UK, Canada and Australia are rapidly expanding markets. Pride back in 05 had a decent following in Japan but only a boutique following in the US and elsewhere. That being the case, there is no fight in the history of Pride that can compare to the reach and hype of any number of the modern UFC main events.

MMA was BIG in Japan. Just look at the top TV ratings Pride and K-1 did back then. I don't think any of the Fox shows or PPV events shown on Brazilian television have done similar ratings.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=dm-mmatopten122107

Silva vs Sonnen 2 was the biggest\most hyped fight in the history of MMA IMO.

even non-mma orientated people were curious to see the most dangerous man on the planet get tooled by his self-appointed nemesis. Sonnen was all over Jim Rome etc. I live in the UK and the media was lapping it up here too. The world was waiting to see if Silva had a huge hole in his arsenal.

Fedor Crocop buzz was akin to the Overeem coming to UFC buzz we got before he got busted, after he demolished Brock. It was like a meeting of two "unbeatable" HWs. It didn't hurt that it was a great fight with Crocop looking great until Fedor dominated at the end. I'm not even sure if it was as hyped as all his Nog fights at the time. I knwo Crocop had asked for the fight for over a year, but if it hadn't been a great fight it wouldn't be remembered the same way. I think of it like JDS Cain aswell

Sonnen Silva II, despite the dominance of Silva was still a huge hyped fight, and I believe the PPV for Silva was much larger than previous ones.

There were bigger hyped Pride fights before Fedor

Last edited:
Two years of hype isn't greater than over a decade. It was a big fight for westerners I guess, but it wasn't close to the biggest one in Pride. It isn't the most historically important HW fight either in terms of top guys fighting.

So if you judge it by ranking importance it isn't the biggest, and it isn't even close to being the biggest in terms of hype or draw in Pride.

I'm not saying it is. :icon_neut I'm saying that Fedor vs. Cro Cop had a lot of hype in addition to being a fight between two best fighters in the world. Saying it wasn't even close to the biggest one in Pride is kind of ridiculous, though. I don't have any information on what kind of TV ratings Final Conflict 2005 did compared to Shockwave 2005 for example but if you've seen that highlight of Pride's best moments from the opening of Pride 34 they put more emphasis on Fedor vs. Cro Cop than any other fight/fighter.

By the way I agree that it isn't the most historically important HW fight in terms of top guys fighting, Fedor vs. Big Nog 3 is and Fedor vs. Cro Cop is #2.

For crying out loud, I'm not saying that Fedor vs. Cro Cop was the most important/historical, most hyped or the biggest draw if you look at each category separately but when you combine those things and see which fight has the best "overall score" I'd say it's Fedor vs. Cro Cop.

i would say that fedor vs cro cop was the most anticipated fight that pride ever put on. i mean people wanted to see fedor vs cro cop back in 2003 and that fight didn't end up happening till 2005. they were suppose to meet in the heavyweight tourney but cro cop lost to randleman which just added to the anticipation.

i would say that fedor vs cro cop was the most anticipated fight that pride ever put on. i mean people wanted to see fedor vs cro cop back in 2003 and that fight didn't end up happening till 2005. they were suppose to meet in the heavyweight tourney but cro cop lost to randleman which just added to the anticipation.

Yeah, he lost twice a fight that would've gotten him a shot at the title. First when he fought against Big Nog for the interim belt and then against Randleman.

lol @ the TUF generation citing tuf finals as their most important fight. I feel sorry for you.

Fedor vs. Crocop is, by far, the best and most important fight I've ever seen. The build-up, the timing, the hype. Everything was in place for this one. And to top it all off - the fight lived up to the hype! I'm very thankful I got to experience this fight in the time that it happened.

lol @ the TUF generation citing tuf finals as their most important fight. I feel sorry for you.

Fedor vs. Crocop is, by far, the best and most important fight I've ever seen. The build-up, the timing, the hype. Everything was in place for this one. And to top it all off - the fight lived up to the hype! I'm very thankful I got to experience this fight in the time that it happened.

Do you understand what important means?

...the most important/historical/hyped/biggest MMA fight of all time? What other fights could make a claim for this title?

In terms of who the fighters were, what the fight meant, how good they were at the time, how good they went on to become, how they performed on the night, what the fight was like...

...I would probably agree that Fedor-Crocop is the major fight in MMA history.

The only other realistic contenders I can even think of would be Fedor-Nog III(#1 HW ever vs #2 HW ever), Anderson-Hendo (UFC #1 P4P vs double Pride champ), Hughes vs GSP II (though GSP didn't quite have the credentials then), and Chuck vs Randy III (trilogy decider between two UFC legends).

GSP-Penn II was a genuine superfight, but I think the fight itself and his later exploits showed that BJ was not at his fittest or his best as a welterweight, whereas Fedor-Crocop was a meeting of two superpowers at their best.

Chuck-Wandy was a superfight too, but it happened too late to merit consideration here. The UFC Wanderlei was a pale imitation of the man who had ruled Pride years earlier.

Without a doubt! I've been watching MMA for almost 15 years and thinking back this fight was the shit back in the day. Even with UFCs promotional skills/budget they haven't come close to a fight of this magnitude yet.

Wand vs. Chuck in the finals of 2003 MWGP or Shogun vs. Chuck after Shogun won 2005 MWGP would have been LHW equivalent of Fedor vs. Cro Cop.

it was a good fight but since it was in japan it did nothing for to help mma. if this hype was in the ufc then yes, fact is pride, dream k1 has done nothing to grow mma, thats why there bankrupt. only hardcore fans and few countries out side of north america watched jmma. ufc is the only reason mma is here to stay, so most of big hyped fights that matter are in the ufc

ken shamrock vs tito ortiz 1
ortiz-vs-shamrock.jpg

Yes, it's still the biggest to date... the hype of this fight was unbelievable. EVERYONE talked about this fight for months and I remember never feeling this excited before a fight.

Only a superfight between 2 UFC champs could beat it at this moment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back