Is Fedor vs. Cro Cop still...

According to UFC marketing, whatever fight is coming up is the "BIGGEST title fight in history of MMA" so most people will probably disagree.

I myself wasnt even a fan back then, I'll be honest. Reconstructing all the circumstances leading up to the fight though (and considering some still rather strong opinions by seasoned fans), I can imagine that it had to be pretty big.

you cant really look back and diminish its importance in hindsight. Jack Dempsey set the first million dollar gate back in the day. seems peanuts now, but that shouldnt take away from its value as an important milestone. same with Fedor Cro Cop

im not taking away from its greatness, it was an amazing fight and happened exactly when it should have, just dont think its as important enough to be called what TS is implying

Cro Cop vs. Fedor was not even close to the biggest fight in Pride history or even HW fight there. Gardner/Yoshida and Yoshida/Ogawa were bigger fights.

the biggest fight and had the biggest audience was Big Nog vs Bob Sapp...I think there were about 100,000 fans attending

If you go off numbers it's not, and if you go off what fights have changed the sport in the long run it's also not. In reality, how is it the biggest fight ever? Based off what exactly. It was a very hyped fight with months of lead in, but there are plenty of fights since then that have been bigger in all respects. It was just Pride's biggest fight.

the biggest fight and had the biggest audience was Big Nog vs Bob Sapp...I think there were about 100,000 fans attending

Gardner/Yoshida and Ogawa/Yoshida had bigger TV audiences. I would say Gracie/Yoshida and Frye/JLB were the bigger draws on that card, though that was certainly up there.

Maybe for some of the foreign fans.

Cro Cop vs. Fedor was not even close to the biggest fight in Pride history or even HW fight there. Gardner/Yoshida and Yoshida/Ogawa were bigger fights.

Those were bigger in terms of viewership but neither of those fights were between top fighters.

Saku vs. Cro Cop was probably the bigger fight for Japanese fans in that event, though. It was the main event.

Maybe for some of the foreign fans.

yoshida/ogawa was the most watched fight in pride history irrc.

If you go off numbers it's not, and if you go off what fights have changed the sport in the long run it's also not. In reality, how is it the biggest fight ever? Based off what exactly. It was a very hyped fight with months of lead in, but there are plenty of fights since then that have been bigger in all respects. It was just Pride's biggest fight.

Imo it's the biggest fight because all that good stuff came together in it. Hype, two best fighters in the world facing off, historical importance, etc.

There are fights that have been bigger in certain categories but not as a whole.

the two best hw's, the true no 1 and no 2 fighting.. definitely one of the biggest fights ever.

the fight had been talked about since 2003, people say fedor was ducking well cro cop lost the big fights to get a shot at fedor, lost against nog for the interim belt in 2003 and knocked out of the 2004 hw gp..

Those were bigger in terms of viewership but neither of those fights were between top fighters.

So we are judging this based on ranked guys fighting then? Because Nog was always more respected than Fedor in the rankings. But Fedor/Nog I, II, or III or Cro Cop/Fedor were not the biggest fights in Pride. Kawajiri/Gomi was the top two guys in the division fighting too. Is that "bigger in Japan" than say, Ogawa/Silva just because the guys were ranked?

tons? you mean tonnes? bonnar/griffen, tito/chuck, ken/tito, royce/ken, teila/gordeau, takada/rickson, silva/chael 2 etc

No...

None of those fights reach same heights as Fedor vs. Cro Cop as a whole (hype/talent/viewership/etc.) imo. Fedor vs. Cro Cop is what Wand vs. Liddell would have been in 2003-2005.

So we are judging this based on ranked guys fighting then? Because Nog was always more respected than Fedor in the rankings. But Fedor/Nog I, II, or III or Cro Cop/Fedor were not the biggest fights in Pride. Kawajiri/Gomi was the top two guys in the division fighting too. Is that "bigger in Japan" than say, Ogawa/Silva just because the guys were ranked?

I've explained my reason for calling Fedor vs. Cro Cop the biggest fighte ever. It was in the making for two years, there was rivalry because Cro Cop KO'd AE, they were two best fighters in the world at the time, it had historical importance, etc.

Lmfao Barnett

That's a joke right?

brock was ranked #6 how was he clearly no 2? btw he was 3-1 at the time Lol

this was the first time since fedor/cro cop that the two best hw's were about to fight.. the almighty ufc didn't have the best fighters till recently you know :)

Lmfao Barnett

That's a joke right?

Less of a joke than you calling Lesnar #2 HW in the world. Lesnar was freaking 3-1 before that fight and his only good win was 46-year-old Couture who weighed 45lbs less than him (actually more since Lesnar had to cut weight to make 265).

MV5BNjYyOTkyMzg2OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODAxNjk3MQ@@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

Back