is every rock you sustain in sparring a concussion?

There is a middle ground. Sounds like you sparred very hard and we're sometimes used as cannon Fodder for more talented athletes to practice the real deal.

Are you sure ? Again there's levels to it. If getting hit hard was a concussion everytime, we'd all be dead. I saw momentarily flashes of light +50 times. Those are definitely not all concussions. If anything only had a headache once in my life from getting hit. And it was only the type thst hurt if I moved my head to fast and lasted 3 days.
Yes there are different severities of concussion, that doesn’t mean the minor one arent still concussions.

heading the ball in soccer often results in the lowest levels of concussion, but if you feel ‘rocked’ it’s definitely a concussion.

Yes there are different severities of concussion, that doesn’t mean the minor one arent still concussions.

heading the ball in soccer often results in the lowest levels of concussion, but if you feel ‘rocked’ it’s definitely a concussion.

You sure ? Fighters can get rocked 30 x in a competition, even more. Doesn't sound legit that they had 30 concussions in a single bout.

You sure ? Fighters can get rocked 30 x in a competition, even more. Doesn't sound legit that they had 30 concussions in a single bout.
I'm inclined to agree with @Trabaho with this one, getting rocked in sparring or in a bout is more likely your bodies reaction to your neck being jolted by a punch causing your bodies nerve signals to get wacky for a few seconds i.e electrical impulses sent from your brain are interrupted and it takes a few seconds to resume normal programming. It's likely not a concussion. There are different severity of concussion however and minor concussions should be treated as any other concussion with adequate rest before sparring again.
If you feel "off" or "cloudy" after sparring you could potentially have a concussion.

Yes. They are minor concussions. They add up, which is probably the biggest factor for boxers dying. Hundreds of rounds of sparring do more damage than the fight you're preparing for.

I agree and disagree with the idea that these minor blows can add up.

Whilst brain cells may die with every blow, in practical terms this will typically have no effect on IQ or function due to the brain's cognitive reserve;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_reserve

Once the cognitive reserve is depleted or if you take a huge amount of damage in a short space of time such that the brain can't rewire and bypass any damaged neurons then you have a big problem.

I am just saying the "it adds up" narrative makes people petrified of trying contact sports because they think every blow will have subtle, steady effect on their IQ.

If every blow diminished IQ then you wouldn't have any boxers of football players who are also MENSA members;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Milligan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicky_Piper

Whilst brain cells may die with every blow, in practical terms this will typically have no effect on IQ or function due to the brain's cognitive reserve;

Once the cognitive reserve is depleted or if you take a huge amount of damage in a short space of time such that the brain can't rewire and bypass any damaged neurons then you have a big problem.

I am just saying the "it adds up" narrative makes people petrified of trying contact sports because they think every blow will have subtle, steady effect on their IQ.

If every blow diminished IQ then you wouldn't have any boxers of football players who are also MENSA members;

Well I guess it adds up in the sense if you're getting repeated blows regularly for a long time. A few weeks of hard sparring and then months of recovery after probably isn't as bad I imagine. There's a reason some fighters end up punch drunk and slur their words even after retiring.

Well I guess it adds up in the sense if you're getting repeated blows regularly for a long time. A few weeks of hard sparring and then months of recovery after probably isn't as bad I imagine. There's a reason some fighters end up punch drunk and slur their words even after retiring.

I agree that it ads up. But a concussion is something more severe. Some light blows over the years is not the same as having 50+ pro fights.

If it was that easy to get concused I wonder how those guys who had 100 boxing fights ect still breath and talk.

It adds up but not that bad. Hard to say.
If someone wants to compete they might wanna spar hard a bit here and there to prepare them more for the real deal and gain more expirience that will alow them to avoid some damage in all out compeittion

Getting punched hard is not the fountain of youth, obviously.

But you're not gonna drop dead and have an IQ of 69 cause you spared controlled a few times monthly for some years.

It's all case to case basis.

Everyone gotta wage if the health benefits of exercise and the joy of it are worth taking some shots. How hard they wanna spar. And if they even wanna spar

If I could choose I'd spare often but Thai style, meaning technical but not hard. 100% effort is OK but lighter shots, especially to the head.

To me there's a threshold when strikes feel damaging. To a certain degree they don't really hurt, after a certain intensity they feel like they cause some damage. Now if you're a begginer at sparring every and any shot will feel like pain. After that many shots don't really hurt but a certain power level is felt to cause damage. I would always just chalk it up to getting better, not look for hard sparring but if some shots land hard just count it as realistic expirience.

He's probably just young and not that experienced. I learned quickly how serious the shots I take can get when I started training for pro fights with other pro fighters. I would have trouble remembering little things more during training camps. Don't know if my brain ever came back to normal.

My gym had a very respectful atmosphere among pros, amateurs, and people casually training. I was lucky. That being said, the hard sparring is still hard sparring and eventually I figured I should get out before I start noticing effects from getting punched. Part of me wondered if the effects would happen and I either ignored/denied them, or if they were slowly accumulating.

I never got to the point where I felt like sparring was having an effect on me. Still, after one night of hard sparring I felt tired the next morning and wondered what that meant? Nothing? Something? I still kept training after and had a match, and it was after my match where I realized the sparring was actually the thing that would likely take its toll more than the fight itself.

Imho no.
In pre fight camps you need to have weeks to get till fight shape after hard sparring sessions. Not months...it ofc depends how you spar and from all workload in camps etc and weight cutting targets before fight etc stuff. Camp isn't just sparring.

Main target is to bring you in optimal condition for fight and to be able to be raeady to make weight for weight ins...
Then ofc also training how to fight...
Drills, sparrings etc....

Then why to ask?
Because I was hoping for a better response than “all rocks are concussion! Hurderp!” Pro fighters are not necessarily doctors so I don’t hold it against him. I’m sure he would whoop my ass. I’m not hating on him

Because I was hoping for a better response than “all rocks are concussion! Hurderp!” Pro fighters are not necessarily doctors so I don’t hold it against him. I’m sure he would whoop my ass. I’m not hating on him
Well I guess that you are trolling or just had some sparring sessions.
This is here...
I maybe will post for others ( maybe someone reading this is really interested about stuff and really use gym and sparring ).

Maybe not for you.
Guys who had get this most likely will get without question. Better words are words not told...

If question if about be down in sparring ....
Or about white light it is already bad question.
Cos I had also sparred under judo and sambo rules and for H2H etc it isn't for me new stuff.
And for scheduled stuff being tory and uke is normal daily stuff....

While if about lights.... It is different world imho.

Only one guy I ever had refused sparring session when I was in usable shape was Usyk.
Only one.
I had Andy Hug ( i then was young pupp ) , Nigel Benn, Briedis and Mr Povetkin and Huck... some others too...
While I wasn't paid sparring partner.
Hug, Povetkin and Briedis + Benn strictly had followed previously agreed terms for sparring.
Nigel then was beauty for me when I was green pupp.

Huck was pig and I wrestelfucked him. After this I newer had saw this cocky idiot.
If to be fair I'm larger than Huck even if with 5-10% body fat.

hey look! someone in this thread with a brain! lmao i basically apologized to the first guy that commented in a lengthy post i guess no one saw. but everyone still hates me in here. iz normal.
nobody hates you
its just when you dont know shit and run off at the mouth people will shoot you down

all rocks are concussions but there are different levels of concussions
the brain is a muscle so it can repair itself but it can also take punishment that it cant repair itself from. taking a good shot in sparring and then stopping the spar to rest and recover is good, expecially if you hydrate and rest before the next time you expose yourself to that enviroment. your brain will recover and fix itself, but repeted minor concussions over a short period will cause it to swell which is no bueno and leads to life altering consequences.
that being said when you are talking about high level boxers they are trained to take shots so that it minimizes the damage take the heat off with movement etc.. still they get caught and hurt too

but if you look at janibek. he was repetedly getting concussed with made hsi brain swell which led to him passing out and going into a coma.

Honestly proabably the main reason i never made a run at pro is because of the amount of damage that is dealt in boxing training sparring especially at the higher levels.
i saw a guy turn into a tard after he ran off at the mouth and caught the beating of a life time in a spar. plus you see the old timers who grew up in the bloody days you can see that look in their eyes..

also lol @ aligning with @Trabaho

Well I guess that you are trolling or just had some sparring sessions.
This is here...
I maybe will post for others ( maybe someone reading this is really interested about stuff and really use gym and sparring ).

Maybe not for you.
Guys who had get this most likely will get without question. Better words are words not told...
I also didn’t know the dude was a fighter. I wouldn’t have been as disrespectful. But he can still be a fighter and be wrong about all concussions being rocks. Everyone would be dead if that was true if every rock is a concussion imo

if he gives me some medical article or something then ok maybe. It seems like a gray area honestly.I’m sure some rocks are concussions but I just don’t think they all are. That’s all I’m saying. And I’m sorry if I’ve been trolling

Last edited:
I'm inclined to agree with @Trabaho with this one, getting rocked in sparring or in a bout is more likely your bodies reaction to your neck being jolted by a punch causing your bodies nerve signals to get wacky for a few seconds i.e electrical impulses sent from your brain are interrupted and it takes a few seconds to resume normal programming. It's likely not a concussion. There are different severity of concussion however and minor concussions should be treated as any other concussion with adequate rest before sparring again.
If you feel "off" or "cloudy" after sparring you could potentially have a concussion.
There’s no physiological reason for a hit to interrupt the electrical signals at the neck.

I mean IQ doesn’t really have anything to do with brain damage…most people misuse the concept of IQ.

How about sport scientists? Do you trust those people?

I also didn’t know the dude was a fighter. I wouldn’t have been as disrespectful. But he can still be a fighter and be wrong about all concussions being rocks. Everyone would be dead if that was true if every rock is a concussion imo

if he gives me some medical article or something then ok maybe. It seems like a gray area honestly.I’m sure some rocks are concussions but I just don’t think they all are. That’s all I’m saying. And I’m sorry if I’ve been trolling
https://health.clevelandclinic.org/most-dangerous-head-hits-may-be-the-milder-ones/amp/

There’s no physiological reason for a hit to interrupt the electrical signals at the neck.
Neurapraxia is the more extreme form of what I described. An impact that is sudden can cause temporary nerve impulse restrictions. Neurapraxia is obviously a prolonged more serious form that's incredibly common in contact sports, but hits can cause similar temporary symptoms that dissipate after a few seconds or minutes.

Back