is every rock you sustain in sparring a concussion?

josh345

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I only trained for like a few months long ass time ago. i was doing pretty good but honestly even with skills i just dont like getting hit. and i had some personal problems going on that drained my confidence.

I was never dropped in sparring. Maybe rocked once but i didn't feel like puking or anything. its hard to tell. i dont think i was dizzy. but is every rock in sparring a concussion? im honestly just generally curious.

lmao i remember rashad saying holly holm rocked him in sparring lmao. so was he concussed too? lmao

i dont buy it lol but thanks lol i guess i had one mild concussion then. i forgot maybe MD sherdog isn't the best place to ask this shit.

A doctor is your best bet for a concussion diagonisis. Pugilistico is partially right though - CTE, generally speaking, is built up from training camps where your brain is getting knocked around a bunch; it is less often that fighters encounter that life altering type of brain damage from a single fight (albeit it is much more dramatic when it happens that way).

Anecdotally - I have been rocked in sparring and felt fine 10 minutes later, where a small glancing blow made a huge white flash in my eyes and I wasn't able to look at a screen without getting a headache for a month. I don't understand it, it just is what it is

i dont buy it lol but thanks lol i guess i had one mild concussion then. i forgot maybe MD sherdog isn't the best place to ask this shit.

I didn't know about this either until I've read what concussions are. Read an medical article or something instead of asking sherdog.

I love how you ask a question, and a guy that actually fights @pugilistico answers you, and you immediately say you don't buy it.

Dafuq did you ask for ffs?

I learned that a lot of people ask questions to reaffirm what they already think they believe, not to learn. Well, we are all guilty of it to some extent. I know I do it sometimes.

I didn't know about this either until I've read what concussions are. Read an medical article or something instead of asking sherdog.

I learned that a lot of people ask questions to reaffirm what they already think they believe, not to learn. Well, we are all guilty of it to some extent. I know I do it sometimes.

Yeah but he didn't have to be a dick about it sir lol.

Yeah but he didn't have to be a dick about it sir lol.
He's probably just young and not that experienced. I learned quickly how serious the shots I take can get when I started training for pro fights with other pro fighters. I would have trouble remembering little things more during training camps. Don't know if my brain ever came back to normal.

He's probably just young and not that experienced. I learned quickly how serious the shots I take can get when I started training for pro fights with other pro fighters. I would have trouble remembering little things more during training camps. Don't know if my brain ever came back to normal.

I tend to forget there are young cats on here tbh sir.
Maybe it's something to keep in mind.

Did you ever fight some pro fights?
You have a decent record?

I tend to forget there are young cats on here tbh sir.
Maybe it's something to keep in mind.

Did you ever fight some pro fights?
You have a decent record?

I had a few amateur and pro boxing matches. I did great in the one ammy tournament I fought in but I sucked in the pros. In training camps I sparred national champs, hungry prospects who were out to prove a point, and had one guy in my gym who was aiming for a WBC world title (was supposed to fight on the undercard of a Pacquiao event once and he quit fighting before he ever got there). I been rocked, dropped, nose/jaw busted, etc in the gym. This shit was no joke so when someone proudly proclaims that he's never been dropped in sparring, it only means he's going very light, or he never sparred anyone good. Even Mayweather got dropped in sparring during his career.

It adds up. You don't necessarily need one dramatic event. You don't need to be knocked down or knocked out to accumulate brain damage. You don't notice if when you are younger or while you are actively training. It's a bit silly to think that a female cannot contribute to your existing head trauma. Getting "rocked" by anyone isn't a positive thing.

Go look at older trainers or fighters in boxing gyms. That glassy eyed look you see in old cats and dogs isn't cool.

I had a few amateur and pro boxing matches. I did great in the one ammy tournament I fought in but I sucked in the pros. In training camps I sparred national champs, hungry prospects who were out to prove a point, and had one guy in my gym who was aiming for a WBC world title (was supposed to fight on the undercard of a Pacquiao event once and he quit fighting before he ever got there). I been rocked, dropped, nose/jaw busted, etc in the gym. This shit was no joke so when someone proudly proclaims that he's never been dropped in sparring, it only means he's going very light, or he never sparred anyone good. Even Mayweather got dropped in sparring during his career.

I grew up wrestling and I got fucked up in practice but I feel like it made me better.
I wasn't getting punched in the face however.

At least you got out before you really took bad damage.
I've read your posts and from my Sherdog medical degree you are not totally retarded sir, that's a good sign lol.

I’ve read conflicting medical reports. Im sure some rocks can be concussions but it doesn’t seem realistic that every rock is a concussion

I wasn’t trying to diss you. I just thought “md sherdog” was funny I guess. I wasn’t “bragging” about not being dropped. I said I don’t like being hit. How does that make me look tough at all or like I’m bragging? And the thread is about me being most likely rocked lol. I don’t think I’m bragging

let’s just forget it lol anyways this weather is nice.

Last edited:
Concussion is when your brain hits the inside of your skull.
This can be caused by many things.
But just curious where do you think the sensation of ‘being rocked’ comes from exactly?

just about anything that cause a sudden unexpected back and forth snapping motion of the head and neck will likely cause a concussion.

And on the other hand one needs to believe random people online or elsewise your big ego suffers ?

Last edited:

There is a middle ground. Sounds like you sparred very hard and we're sometimes used as cannon Fodder for more talented athletes to practice the real deal.

Concussion is when your brain hits the inside of your skull.
This can be caused by many things.
But just curious where do you think the sensation of ‘being rocked’ comes from exactly?

just about anything that cause a sudden unexpected back and forth snapping motion of the head and neck will likely cause a concussion.

Are you sure ? Again there's levels to it. If getting hit hard was a concussion everytime, we'd all be dead. I saw momentarily flashes of light +50 times. Those are definitely not all concussions. If anything only had a headache once in my life from getting hit. And it was only the type that hurt if I moved my head to fast and lasted 3 days.

Last edited:
There is a middle ground. Sounds like you sparred very hard and we're sometimes used as cannon Fodder for more talented athletes to practice the real deal.

Are you sure ? Again there's levels to it. If getting hit hard was a concussion everytime, we'd all be dead. I saw momentarily flashes of light +50 times. Those are definitely not all concussions. If anything only had a headache once in my life from getting hit. And it was only the type thst hurt if I moved my head to fast and lasted 3 days.
hey look! someone in this thread with a brain! lmao i basically apologized to the first guy that commented in a lengthy post i guess no one saw. but everyone still hates me in here. iz normal.

hey look! someone in this thread with a brain! lmao i basically apologized to the first guy that commented in a lengthy post i guess no one saw. but everyone still hates me in here. iz normal.

They're in awe that someone who had fights posted on sherdog.

It's all good. Respect in this thread. I think noone should be offended. Just sherbros sherbroing.

Wouldn't it be boring if everyone had the same opinion

They're in awe that someone who had fights posted on sherdog.

It's all good. Respect in this thread. I think noone should be offended. Just sherbros sherbroing.

Wouldn't it be boring if everyone had the same opinion
Exactly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back