Social Is EDC Stuff A Scam?

She called all my EDC stuff useless until I used it to fix the vacuum

I use mine all the time...
- always someone who forgets his sd card on a shoot, or forgot to empty it
- always has some employee who didn't charge his phone (yes, even if their job consists of working in social media)
- always an idiot who didn't fully charge his camera, or me running out of battery during the day and powering the camera through a powerbank....

on longer distance shoots I also bring
- a garbage bag in case it rains to keep stuff safe, or to turn into a rain poncho
- knife and telescopic baton (welcome to brazil)
- first aid kit
- boonie hat in case suddenly the sun turns up too much

I believe in EDC. I just have varying degrees of it. The one thing I always keep handy though is a Victorinox "Climber" Swiss Army Knife. Just super versatile.
SAK_1_3703_3__S1.jpg

Edc knives are for people that want to die

if you want to be a survivor carry this thing on you

p0ikjg9u99551.jpg

Please tell me there's a video of this asshole firing that thing sir? Lol.

The average American commutes less than 20 miles each way and 80% of US workers have sedentary jobs. The amount of this stuff that gets sold blows my mind. I've met an IT guy with a benchmade and an assortment of "Tactical EDC" like he might unexpectedly have to escape Jurassic Park.

I've had jobs where I carried a boxcutter. For everything I do with a pocketknife 8CR13MOV steel is just as good as Magnacut for 20% of the price.

Chances are a $250 titaniun 6000 lumen flashlight is only 1000 lumens and uses the same Cree LED as a $20 flashlight with a pretty much indestructable aluminum body.

And no one needs an indstructable EDC tactical pen. Unless you're a forest ranger an EDC tactial bracelet with firestarter, paracord, compass and red ryder decoder pin is also unnecessary.

Though you should have a good knife, and flashlight (or headlamp which is much better but not a cool look).

Headlamps are the shit though sir.
If im wearing one I highly doubt im in a situation where looking good matters lol.

Pistol, first aid kit, water. I use the first aid kit a lot.

I've survived 35 years without any of this shit but now I can't stop buying it. What are the odds you'll need that $200 flashlight and is it brighter than your phone? That $300 Benchmade knife can cut a box better than a box cutter? How often do you guys use a multi tool?
All the titanium stuff in the EDC world is definitely a scam I lol when I see folks buying a 200 dollar box cutter or a useless single brass knuckle over one finger. I never spend more than 60 bucks on a knife. Benchmade and spyderco are way over priced. Folks in the edc world are usually not folks that use their stuff every day at work that use things for practical or functional reasons they buy them as a flex or pocket jewelry.

I also carry these two both where under 60 when I bought them.
Civivi baby banter
Baby-Banter-Front-v2_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Spyderco persistence.
41o0YZZYpCL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

I believe in EDC. I just have varying degrees of it. The one thing I always keep handy though is a Victorinox "Climber" Swiss Army Knife. Just super versatile.
SAK_1_3703_3__S1.jpg
I've been carrying a Compact since December. I do wish Victornox had pocket clips, I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I want to add one.

EDC people try to tell you you must carry a whole backpack of stuff or you're screwed by simple daily tasks.
It is of course bullshit.
EDC is a hobby for it's enthusiasts.
However it's good to have some tools with you when you travel. When I drive for a day or more I always have at least a multi tool with me.

I've been carrying a Compact since December. I do wish Victornox had pocket clips, I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I want to add one.
Yeah that’s the one thing I don’t like either. it always ends up horizontal at the bottom of my pocket. I’ve seen those after market clips you can add to them. Might consider that. Or belt carry. I remember my uncle always had a Vic in a leather sheath on his belt.

Used to carry a knife around NYC when I was in college there.

The one time a couple kids tried to mug me it really just sat there in my pocket and became a bit of liability because I was left standing in the street deciding if I hand these kids who demanded I run my pockets this knife they could use on me or someone else, pull it on them and stab a couple teens I’m not sure how much of a threat they actually pose, or just hope I can get out of this.

Ended up just shouting at them and refusing to comply and they took off.

I'm an idiot.. i always carry a folding knife in a country where it's very illegal..

my spyderco kiwi is dented and blunt atm so i switched to a knife that was gifted to me by a transylvanian gypsy after making sure they got the money they were owed for some demolition work..

I seriously doubt the quality of the steel but it's sharper than an ex wifes' tounge..

I'm 35yo and haven't stabbed anyone yet.. i'm an avid hiker/outdoors guy.. i'm ready to face a fine every 15 years if be so..

The average American commutes less than 20 miles each way and 80% of US workers have sedentary jobs. The amount of this stuff that gets sold blows my mind. I've met an IT guy with a benchmade and an assortment of "Tactical EDC" like he might unexpectedly have to escape Jurassic Park.

I've had jobs where I carried a boxcutter. For everything I do with a pocketknife 8CR13MOV steel is just as good as Magnacut for 20% of the price.

Chances are a $250 titaniun 6000 lumen flashlight is only 1000 lumens and uses the same Cree LED as a $20 flashlight with a pretty much indestructable aluminum body.

And no one needs an indstructable EDC tactical pen. Unless you're a forest ranger an EDC tactial bracelet with firestarter, paracord, compass and red ryder decoder pin is also unnecessary.

Though you should have a good knife, and flashlight (or headlamp which is much better but not a cool look).

I live on a farm and carry a basic paracord bracelet without all the survival crap. I have them on all the key rings in my vehicles as well.
It’s a great way to carry a couple feet of rope in your pocket.

Yeah that’s the one thing I don’t like either. it always ends up horizontal at the bottom of my pocket. I’ve seen those after market clips you can add to them. Might consider that. Or belt carry. I remember my uncle always had a Vic in a leather sheath on his belt.

Get yourself a good holster. Makes all the difference.

I carry a Leatherman Surge everywhere for example, which normally might seem like overkill, except it's sitting in a nice kydex holster, near the back of my belt. I literally forget I'm carrying it as soon as I reholster it. My pockets stay empty, easy breezy.

Check out etsy / ebay etc for a nice kydex or leather holster, they have them for just about everything these days

Get yourself a good holster. Makes all the difference.

I carry a Leatherman Surge everywhere for example, which normally might seem like overkill, except it's sitting in a nice kydex holster, near the back of my belt. I literally forget I'm carrying it as soon as I reholster it. My pockets stay empty, easy breezy.

Check out etsy / ebay etc for a nice kydex or leather holster, they have them for just about everything these days
Damn. Edc’ing a surge. Are you a big guy?

Back