Social Is EDC Stuff A Scam?

deadshot138

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I've survived 35 years without any of this shit but now I can't stop buying it. What are the odds you'll need that $200 flashlight and is it brighter than your phone? That $300 Benchmade knife can cut a box better than a box cutter? How often do you guys use a multi tool?

I carried a EDC knife for several years until I realized that the moment I actually need it probably infinite less than the odds of it actually opening up on me accidentally and severing an artery or something else stupid happening.

It's cool stuff but yeah, it really is for people that are actually in tactical situations.

I grew up carrying pocket knives and have had many different knives from varying manufacturers. I learned that the more I spent on it, the more pissed I was when a screw invariably backed out, I lost it, or something broke or wore out.

These days I carry a cheap Ozark Trail locking folder from Walmart. If it breaks in half I'm not out more than $2.99 + tax.

I need to get off of my ass and get my concealed carry. Bitched about the inability to get it in this state now I can and my lazy ass has been dragging my feet about it.

I grew up carrying pocket knives and have had many different knives from varying manufacturers. I learned that the more I spent on it, the more pissed I was when a screw invariably backed out, I lost it, or something broke or wore out.

These days I carry a cheap Ozark Trail locking folder from Walmart. If it breaks in half I'm not out more than $2.99 + tax.

I need to get off of my ass and get my concealed carry. Bitched about the inability to get it in this state now I can and my lazy ass has been dragging my feet about it.

same

I agree with this. I carry a pocket knife that's cheap crap but I'll shed zero tears if it gets lost or broken.

Plus I use it's more useful to have a knife that you can abuse. In a pinch I use that thing as a screwdriver, prybar, scraper, etc... Things I would never do if the knife was expensive.

Depends on what one does for a living and recreation. Also, your outlook on preparedness. I've had many situations where both come in handy. You can get a serviceable pocketknife and flashlight within $50 for each. Kershaw and Streamlight are two great starting points, with excellent customer service.

suddenly the shit you carry with you became A THING and not just the stuff you carry.
feels very hipsterish to me, cause i watched some ex military guys talk about it and they all had the most generic, cheap crap along. like 20 dollar folder, 5 dollar small flashlight, a bic, stuff like that.
i have spent recently 800 euros on custom knives that i never use and just look at them, and mostly use a 10 dollar mora.
don't spend money on this shit guys
we're not living in a movie.

I got two of these badmotherfuckers.

One with a broken blade so I can use it like a screwdriver.

I paid $9 for it.
<HisEye>

GB6050_2.jpg

A friend lives in Taneytown. I sent him my P238 to celebrate his permit.

Outside of collecting knives, there really isn’t a reason for a $300 price tag. I’ve gotten around just fine with a $35 Swiss Army knife. Now, every now and then it’s nice to have a fixed blade or strong locking knife like a cold steel if you’re going camping or doing hard outdoor work. Also, after a certain point, steels don’t really make that big of a difference. I can do things just fine with D2 and not have pay the price of something like M390.

I always carry some kind of knife with me-mostly a slipjoint or some kershaw. Not for self defense are any tactical reason but it comes in handy now and then-when a cardboard box attacks me.

I started paying attention to the EDC craze about a year ago and in that time some of the youtube channels that cater to EDC and knives have had their subscribers triple or more (from 50K to 150k or more) in that time. So the algorithm may be pushing it a bit.

As others have stated unless you are collecting some of the price points get pretty steep for the next super steel, newest design, mechanism, brand name or "drop".

But it's your money and if you want to carry the newest Microtech auto or Sebenza have fun but chances are you will be fine with some cheaper multitool.

The place where I do not cheap out on is on a decent camp knife-gets used a lot and sharpened a fair bit- so buy one cry once.

Back