Is Dustin Poirier the best striker in the lw history?

Khabib is the best LW striker of all time based on all numbers and film. He landed the only damaging punch against Poirier for example.

Pleasing the casuals who will respond to this thread. I hate Masvidal as much as the next guy, but he merits a mention I think, he's pretty technical.
Cruickshank was getting the better of Mas.
I like Dustin's argument

- Edson Barbosa is leagues better in terms of variety and technique. His boxing is cleaner and he isn't even thought of as an above average boxer.
- Penn
- Edgar
- Pettis
- Gomi
- Conor

His main asset is his durability, he takes a lot of damage hoping to wear his opponents out over the course of a fight and eventually get the finish. Or win a decision in a war of attrition. That's all fine and obviously successful for him, but it doesn't make him a great striker.

His main asset isn't his durability. It's his power and durability and striking skills. Poirier has a great chin, and has under-rated strike defense. HE gets into wars so he gets caught, but his striking defense isn't half as bad as some people make it out to be, you included. Edson is chinny and breaks You think Edson would beat Poirier head to head? Poirier would fuck him up good. Edgar? Not sure if fucking serious.

BJ Penn and Gomi were really good in their primes, I'm not sure how that would go. He finished Pettis AND Conor head to head. Pettis couldn't do ANyTHING against Poirier, and I did say Conor is significantly better strker, but Poirier just finished him with strikes at lightweight, and you have to take into consideration what they did at lightweight. Poirier fucked Conor up at lightweight, first fight was at FW.

From that list, BJ and Gomi stands out as guys who had talent AND accomplishment to possibly stack up at LIGHTWEIGHT. However, I think Gomi's peak was short and BJ moved around too much from WW to LW.

I do rate Gomi and BJ higher on LW Goat rankings than Poirier, but considering everything, Poirier is better LW striker based on his skills AND what he was able to accomplish, his career longevity, which eluded Gomi AND BJ.

Last edited:
I wonder how long would Dusting surivive against Floyd

So, personally I think Conor is more talented striker prime for prime. I think there's a significant gap in there. However, Poirier just knocked out that that very Conor at lightweight, and Conor really hasn't done much at all at lightweight anyways. And funny enough, Poirier outlanded Conor even in the first fight before being clipped behind the ear as well, not to mention he was landing some low kicks on Conor in that first fight too.

I see some people saying oh Conor just have to defend that calf kicks and then he would've won. Well he didn't, and he got his shit pushed in. And Conor in his entire life never checked low kicks before, whereas Poirier had that in his game for most of his career including in the very first fight with Conor. I do think Conor is significantly more talented fighter prime for prime, but he hasn't done much and got finished TWICE by getting stunned on the feet at lightweight, not to mention the first fight was at featherweight too.

The best lightweight strikers in the history of lightweight division probably runs something like Pulver, Ludwig, Edwards, Masvidal, Cerrone, Pettis, Gomi, Sakurai, Hansen, BJ, Varner, Barboza, Gaethje, Diaz, Tony, Hooker and more grappler oriented guys like Oliveira, RDA, Eddie, Gil weren't so bad either, and there are obviously new up comers like Riddel and Fiziev.

Also on top of his skills, Poirier is super tough and durable. Some people think he's chinny, but the shots behind the ear can drop people even if they have a good chin, since it's not even on the chin, and the shot Poirier got caught with against MJ probably would've knocked out Mark Hunt too that was caught right on the button and Poirier's strike defense improved tremendously after. And that was it, 33 fights, finished by strikes twice, one which was avenged. I feel like the reason that Poirier sometimes gets hit flush and appears rocked has more to do with his style than anything, but he has that grit and endurance in him to keep fighting and still perform to the best of his ability. I don't think his chin or strike defense is as bad as some people make him out to be.

Like I said, I do think skill-wise Conor is significantly better than Poirier. And perhaps there are and has been more skilled strikers than Poirier. But if you take into consideration Poirier's accomplishments at LIGHTWEIGHT division, alongside his skills, finishing power, endurance, cardio and grit, I don't think it's far fetched to argue that Poirier is the best striker in the lightweight history.
McTapper is the more talented striker.

But Poirier is the more talented FIGHTer.

His main asset isn't his durability. It's his power and durability and striking skills. Poirier has a great chin, and has under-rated strike defense. HE gets into wars so he gets caught, but his striking defense isn't half as bad as some people make it out to be, you included. Edson is chinny and breaks You think Edson would beat Poirier head to head? Poirier would fuck him up good. Edgar? Not sure if fucking serious.

BJ Penn and Gomi were really good in their primes, I'm not sure how that would go. He finished Pettis AND Conor head to head. Pettis couldn't do ANyTHING against Poirier, and I did say Conor is significantly better strker, but Poirier just finished him with strikes at lightweight, and you have to take into consideration what they did at lightweight. Poirier fucked Conor up at lightweight, first fight was at FW.

From that list, BJ and Gomi stands out as guys who had talent AND accomplishment to possibly stack up at LIGHTWEIGHT. However, I think Gomi's peak was short and BJ moved around too much from WW to LW.

I do rate Gomi and BJ higher on LW Goat rankings than Poirier, but considering everything, Poirier is better LW striker based on his skills AND what he was able to accomplish, his career longevity, which eluded Gomi AND BJ.
You're only looking at finishing ability, an important attribute don't get me wrong. But, but that's not skill. Dustin is a sloppy boxer, his technique is amateurish and if he didn't have a chin he would lose most of his decisions or get flattened.

If you're talking actual skill and ability, then no, Dustin isn't even in the conversation. If you simply want to call him the best brawler then you're on to something.

I don’t know but Colin is a fraud and his fan base is cancer to the martial arts community, hope Dooostin lays him out again.

You're only looking at finishing ability, an important attribute don't get me wrong. But, but that's not skill. Dustin is a sloppy boxer, his technique is amateurish and if he didn't have a chin he would lose most of his decisions or get flattened.

If you're talking actual skill and ability, then no, Dustin isn't even in the conversation. If you simply want to call him the best brawler then you're on to something.

I don't think you watched enough tapes

Wow Sherbros, this comes up on Google! The third on the right!

So this thread was found on Google top news feed. I made a thread about that and it got deleted, man mods do whatever they want on Sherdog nowadays

The best lightweight strikers in the history of lightweight division probably runs something like Pulver, Ludwig, Edwards, Masvidal, Cerrone, Pettis, Gomi, Sakurai, Hansen, BJ, Varner, Barboza, Gaethje, Diaz, Tony, Hooker and more grappler oriented guys like Oliveira, RDA, Eddie, Gil weren't so bad either, and there are obviously new up comers like Riddel and Fiziev.

I think Josh Thomson belongs with this guys, missed him here.

About the best striker, I would go with Conor, but your arguments are pretty valid. Prime BJ was sweet too.

I wonder how long would Dusting surivive against Floyd

My three seconds of fame died. Some mod just deleted my thread. Feels real bad man :(

Oh well glad I captured it though lol

full

So this thread was found on Google top news feed. I made a thread about that and it got deleted, man mods do whatever they want on Sherdog nowadays
I don't know why they deleted it. But for me, it doesn't come up on the first page at all. I've heard that your search results are tailored to your past searches.

I don't know why they deleted it. But for me, it doesn't come up on the first page at all. I've heard that your search results are tailored to your past searches.

it's the 13th down the list. I mean mods around here do whatever they want to do, you know? No reasons were given either. I don't user sherdog for its stellar mods or anything like that. They do whatever they want to do.

It's the top story, then it's 13th down the list. For me it was third but i guess it was because it was me.

More than one people confirmed it so it should be there

I mean imagine deleting a thread that's saying that it came up on Google search. I've been on Sherdog for 16 years, and I have never seen that. But some mod comes along, deletes it just because he feels like it. I mean makes no sense, but par for the course around here. I haven't really used any other forum other than Sherdog, so I can't say they are better or worse than anywhere else though.

Fireball kid should be up there.

Goat for me, i dont care lol.

But Gomi's peak was short. I consider 2005 his peak. Dustin had a long career. I used to think Gomi would run him over, but not sure. I 've been looking at Dustin a lot leading up to Conor fight. He's much better than I thought. He has this slight head movement, better footwork than i thought, and he's a finisher.

To me, Bushido 2005 Gomi is the best LW Goat, but I'm very biased. I think Dustin has an argument for what he was able to do for long period of time with his skills as the lightweight goat striker.

I mean imagine deleting a thread that's saying that it came up on Google search.
You'd think it depicts Sherdog in a positive light. Odd decision, as you said.

Back