Is Dominick Cruz very smart, or moderately smart who pretend to be very smart.

All I've heard from him is him being very smart for his own profession, which is all he needs. Not just about his own game, but knows what other fighters do and should do as well.

The money side is a different topic. He does a good job with feuds, but is himself and that doesn't always translate to interest. Copying someone else could backfire and/or be against his character, and doing that is simpler than analyzing, creating and implementing for himself and others.

Because I see Conor as someone who is truly saavy and truly smart. Dominick Cruz like to play the hauty "oh I am so much more analytical and logical than you are. You so emotional while I am logical" but as a fellow smart person, I have never felt the need to distinguish myself in this type of manner in order to feel a sense of superiority.
How do you know that you're smart?

This thread, TS, and the arrogant responses very dumb, moderately dumb, or super-mega-ultra dumb?

You can't measure "smartness."

People are smart in different ways.

You can take a rocket scientist who doesnt know anything about fighting and he wouldn't be able to analyze a fight as well as Dom does, for example. He'd probably shit the bed even, because he doesn't understand the sport.

Does that mean Dom is smarter than a rocket scientist?

Probably not... When it comes to fighting he is, though.

Yes, but I still can't believe someone that has such a short career will not do the most of it if they Are able to. If Cruz has 3 years left as a champ (where it is possible to make some money), And earns 500.00,- per year, when he could have made over a million, it means he probably has to get another bad job after he is done fighting. He wouldn't have to if he was smarter marketing himself. I can't believe anyone would do that on purpose.

I agree that finishing ability is normally very important, but other dominant champs like GSP And Askren were also critizised for being boring. Still, people cared. They turned in because they were great and interesting, or to see them lose.

Dom will be a fight analyst for a long time, like a Chris Collinsworth type. He ain't going anywhere, and he "marketed" himself to what'll amount to be a lifetime gig. I'm not even a Dom hugger like Homeless Shamrock, but if you can't see Dom's trajectory already you're missing the big picture.

When I hear him talk I am not dazzled by his intellect but put off by his narrsasistic smug arrogance.

Dumb people might think he is a some type of MMA Einstein, if they wish to indulge in that fantasy, so be it.

Fact is, really smart people won't choose a career as a professional fighter. Conor, an exception.
I love it, you find Dom smug but Conor the exception of being smart in MMA. Got to ask you, how many inches of Conor can you take down the throat now?

if you actually listen to him, he will try to speak intellectually but use the wrong words completely

He is smart for a professional athlete for sure. He may not be a doctor or a professor but he doesn't need to be. He's smart enough to be the best ever in his weight class and hold down a commentating job on the side.

A lot of you people claiming he is "below average" while you work your $30,000 a year jobs with your useless degrees are hilarious. Even if Cruz was below average he is still way more successful than you will ever be.

I think he is below average smart.
He hasn't lost a fight for 10 years, and has been champ forever, and still nobody cares about him. If he was smart, he would do like Ronda, GSP, Conor, Faber, BJ, Jones etc and make people care one way or the other.

Most people care more about guys from TUF like Dodson or Dillashaw than they care about Cruz.

That's largely out of his hands. You can't make people gravitate towards you, it's subjective.

Ultimately his job first and foremost is to be a fighter and win and he does that pretty damn well.

When I hear him talk I am not dazzled by his intellect but put off by his narrsasistic smug arrogance.

Dumb people might think he is a some type of MMA Einstein, if they wish to indulge in that fantasy, so be it.

Fact is, really smart people won't choose a career as a professional fighter. Conor, an exception.

Care to explain why?

Because I see Conor as someone who is truly saavy and truly smart. Dominick Cruz like to play the hauty "oh I am so much more analytical and logical than you are. You so emotional while I am logical" but as a fellow smart person, I have never felt the need to distinguish myself in this type of manner in order to feel a sense of superiority.
Lmao at the contradiction at the end of yer statement.

Personally I don't mind bragging about myself too much, so long as I keep it toned down. It's part of human nature to try and impress so I don't hold it against people tremendously.

That's largely out of his hands. You can't make people gravitate towards you, it's subjective.

Ultimately his job first and foremost is to be a fighter and win and he does that pretty damn well.
Yes, Ofcourse, winning fights is most important, but every celebrity markets themselves somehow. In MMA, you Are your own Brand, And have to sell yourself. If the fans don't care about you, you have to change your act.

Says you can't quote him, then quotes him

"without a clip or soundbyte" I just finished watching an interview of him talking trash and that was the only thing sort of clever that he said actually.

He calls someone dumb and his fans act like he just came up with the best insult of all time. His trash talk is way worse than he gets credit for. I guess he made Dillashaw look kind of bad but I honestly can't remember anything from that either except that he was trying to say something along the lines that TJ wasn't confident because he wouldn't tell him how he was going to finish the fight.

I don't know about Cruz, but genuinely smart people try NOT to sound smart because it makes conversations awkward.

he's obviously a pretty smart guy, who comes across as even smarter due to the fact that he's quite well spoken. there are all different types of intelligence and his verbal skills are very good.

i've never seen him discuss anything else aside from fighting. so he will of course come across as smart, since he's discussing his profession. who knows if he's smart in-general. i will say that to me, he comes across as very full of himself when talking to fighters in his division. don't know if it's intentional to get under their skin, but if he's like that in his everyday life, i don't think i'd like him as a person.

Back