Is Dominick Cruz very smart, or moderately smart who pretend to be very smart.

I think he is below average smart.
He hasn't lost a fight for 10 years, and has been champ forever, and still nobody cares about him. If he was smart, he would do like Ronda, GSP, Conor, Faber, BJ, Jones etc and make people care one way or the other.

Most people care more about guys from TUF like Dodson or Dillashaw than they care about Cruz.
Just because he isn't voluntarily a loud obnoxious asshole like Conor or Rounda doesn't mean he isn't smart. Some people don't give a shit about that & just want to compete & prove they're the best through competition without that...

& that last sentence is definitely false.

He is smart in a bitter trifling way. A lot of people just seem to overreact to everything he says because he says it with smugness, but It's really not very memorable or valuable. You can't quote anything that he said without a clip or sound byte.

His trash talk is subpar, his fighting style works good in MMA at his size and weight tho. He has experience in the cage for sure.

"Alpha fail" was as good as his trash talk got honestly.

I haven't seen anything that would make me think Cruz is unintelligent. He seems analytical enough

It might get played up a little bit because it's somewhat rare among fighters (or at least their ability to articulate it ). It's probably part of his persona also so he probably plays it up himself.

Who knows how smart he really is.

I think he is below average smart.
He hasn't lost a fight for 10 years, and has been champ forever, and still nobody cares about him. If he was smart, he would do like Ronda, GSP, Conor, Faber, BJ, Jones etc and make people care one way or the other.

Most people care more about guys from TUF like Dodson or Dillashaw than they care about Cruz.
He's smart enough to have gotten himself an analysis gig to help pay the bills now and after fighting. Seems he has a reasonable amount of intellect to realize he needed something to fall back on since fighting looked like it was done with him and his knees at one point. I doubt we will ever hear about Dom being bankrupt after fighting, and I'm guessing he will be around MMA long after his career is done. Id guess that makes him moderately successful in his fighting endeavors, just not quite a household name.

As far as pro athletes go he's a genius.

When I hear him talk I am not dazzled by his intellect but put off by his narrsasistic smug arrogance.

Dumb people might think he is a some type of MMA Einstein, if they wish to indulge in that fantasy, so be it.

Fact is, really smart people won't choose a career as a professional fighter. Conor, an exception.

Last edited:
His fight iq is what made him a champion, he's great at breaking down the sport. Otherwise he's kind of smart, but he's very insecure

Cruz has below average intelligence, with a fan base of extremely low intelligence.

Cruz will make you insult yourself, and you wouldn't even realize it till later

He's smart enough to have gotten himself an analysis gig to help pay the bills now and after fighting. Seems he has a reasonable amount of intellect to realize he needed something to fall back on since fighting looked like it was done with him and his knees at one point. I doubt we will ever hear about Dom being bankrupt after fighting, and I'm guessing he will be around MMA long after his career is done. Id guess that makes him moderately successful in his fighting endeavors, just not quite a household name.

yes, he seems like a pretty good analyst, but that is about it. If he did a better job marketing himself, he would probably keep that job longer too, and make so much more money fighting that he would have a better retirement. If they find a guy that is "more famous/interesting" than Dom to do the analyst job, he would probably lose his job, even if he has a better resume. I think he is one of the worst at marketing himself in the whole business.

I don't know how he handles his finances privately.

Just because he isn't voluntarily a loud obnoxious asshole like Conor or Rounda doesn't mean he isn't smart. Some people don't give a shit about that & just want to compete & prove they're the best through competition without that...

& that last sentence is definitely false.
I am not talking about being an asshole or a loudmouth. When you are that dominant, and actually more exciting than Cruz gets credit for, you also need to market yourself somehow. Guys like GSP or Faber did a great job. Even guys that never held a belt has done better jobs marketing themselves.

Everyone cares about marketing themselves and making more money. The UFC doesn't pay guys like Dom very good, but he has all the possibilities in the world to market himself, but he is not using it, and that is not very smart.

When I hear him talk I am not dazzled by his intellect but put off by his narrsasistic smug arrogance.

Dumb people might think he is a some type of MMA Einstein, if they wish to indulge in that fantasy, so be it.

Fact is, really smart people won't choose a career as a professional fighter. Conor, an exception.
Shane Carwin's an engineer.

yes, he seems like a pretty good analyst, but that is about it. If he did a better job marketing himself, he would probably keep that job longer too, and make so much more money fighting that he would have a better retirement. If they find a guy that is "more famous/interesting" than Dom to do the analyst job, he would probably lose his job, even if he has a better resume. I think he is one of the worst at marketing himself in the whole business.

I don't know how he handles his finances privately.
I agree as it seems he is more about marketing his fights than himself, IMO his biggest obstacle is lacking the ability to finish high level opponents which seems to be a big notch in the belt for some of the more popular fighters. Who knows maybe he is content with his present gig and due to training, analysis and fighting lacks the time to get his name out there more. Some are okay with being a 2nd tier star as long as they are making decent cheddar, especially a guy who looked like his career was finished a few short years ago.

should be TJ vs Cody
If Cody and TJ both win at 207 it might happen but I hear the only guy at alpha male that was beating Tj was Cody.

I definitely want to see it with my own eyes tho.

Because I see Conor as someone who is truly saavy and truly smart. Dominick Cruz like to play the hauty "oh I am so much more analytical and logical than you are. You so emotional while I am logical" but as a fellow smart person, I have never felt the need to distinguish myself in this type of manner in order to feel a sense of superiority.

He's above average, but that's not saying much.

I can tell you who is not smart,TS.

He's a dude of average intelligence who is well spoken and articulate - and makes an effort when it comes to his analysis job, and is clearly hardworking.

Back