Is Deontay Wilder the most unorthodox elite fighter?

Crappy technique doesn’t equal unorthodox. Wilder is literally fighting a more unorthodoxed fighter this weekend

I would say that's Pacquiao. You can't bring in a single fighter for sparring to replicate Manny. It's the most uniquely successful style I've ever seen.

Least talented elite fighter sure.
Only other fighter I can think of that became a world champion with the boxing talent of a 5 year old would be Ricardo Mayorga.

Least talented elite fighter sure.
Only other fighter I can think of that became a world champion with the boxing talent of a 5 year old would be Ricardo Mayorga.
mayorga.jpg

NOWRAGRRUMZUJPVD33VXZZGM3Q.jpg

Checks out.

Good old slappy Joe Calzaghe.
Usyk is probably the closest thing to him that I've seen since then.
Wilder is raw and rather crude, not unorthodox. Imo someone like Loma is actually unorthodox, while being a great technical fighter at the same time.

Usyk is probably the closest thing to him that I've seen since then.
Wilder is raw and rather crude, not unorthodox. Imo someone like Loma is actually unorthodox, while being a great technical fighter at the same time.
Good call. Yeah Loma is unorthodox. It must be difficult to prepare for him because he has his own unique style.

I think we all have our own ideas as to what unorthodox means. To me it means a fighter that doesn't fight by the book, meaning, they wouldn't be described technically as a textbook conventional/orthodox fighter. Maybe they have their own 'style' or don't set-up their leads the conventional way and so on.

Heavyweight boxer who throws superman punches is pretty unorthodox

I think his fighting style is quite basic, he just sometimes goes wild, crosses his feet and throws haymakers. Most times, he's looking to land a bomb of a right hand while blocking shots. That's not really all that different from other big right-hand punchers.

If he always fought like this, then yeah, he would be the most unorthodox:

source.gif

Most of the times though, he is fighting more like this:

MedicalValuableFinnishspitz-size_restricted.gif

Out of the two, Fury is the more unorthodox type of fighter. Just crazy to see a tall, massive guy fighting like he does. Not the usual jab and grab type of basic boxer, which most fighters of his size are. He's utilizing a lot of techniques, that frankly, you wouldn't expect to be working for him.

Yeah Fury is the unorthodox fighter of the 2 although tbf wilders winmill technique is also a little bit unorthodox. or Perhaps special is the better word here, like the special kind if special.

Back