Is decent, mainstream Rock and Roll making a comeback?

Crimson Glory

Go Pack Go!
@red
Reaction score
Growing up in the late 90's and 2000's there was always Rock and Roll around, often playing on Much and MTV, usually in some pop punk/hardcore/emo tunes, but I don't think it had the kind of impact on the youth as one would've hoped.

You had droves of emo kids walking around, you didn't have too many straight up regular kids who were into rock and roll and the ones who were into guitar oriented music generally were more into Metal, which is underground mostly and never can be mainstream, but it goes on strong.

Anyway, It seems like we have a small but fresh crop of mainstream artists that have emerged and some of the old guard from the 2000's like QOTSA releasing solid material too.

Greta Van Fleet seem to be grabbing everyone's attention, Ghost have some kind of fan base, certainly with the Metal fans, they reminded me of Sabbath a bit the moment I heard them.

Another band that I've been listening to lately is The Struts.

Last edited:
I really do hope so. I'm not an enormous Greta Van Fleet guy, but if they're gettinf kids into rock music, that's awesome.

Greta Van Fleet and Ghost both looking for a Grammy tonight for best rock album and a Grammy for best rock song.

When I think of Mainstream rock music I think of

I never understood why Nickelback is supposedly the worst band ever. I don't like them or listen to bands like them but man there is much worse shit out there.

Qotsa is around still fortunately. I wish the Strokes would come out with a new album soon.

Arctic Monkeys are probably in my top five favorite of all time.

Qotsa is around still fortunately. I wish the Strokes would come out with a new album soon.

Arctic Monkeys are probably in my top five favorite of all time.

The Strokes never really lived up to their early promise, Turner is a very smart guy. Probably the 2 best examples of rock in the noughties. Pickings are thin these days.

When I think of Mainstream rock music I think of

I never understood why Nickelback is supposedly the worst band ever. I don't like them or listen to bands like them but man there is much worse shit out there.

They are offensively mediocre and cheesy sometimes, is all. Of course there are much worse bands.

Ghost are overrated in my opinion and without their gimmick they wouldn't even have the fan base they do. As for Greta Van Fleet I cannot listen to them because they sound like a Led Zeppelin cover band and unless they branch out from that I will not listen to them.

I would add King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard onto that as well. They're not so big in America, but growing and bringing good Psychedelic Rock to Australia and have a sound that wouldn't be off putting to radio listeners here in the states (at least fans of rock)

The Strokes never really lived up to their early promise, Turner is a very smart guy. Probably the 2 best examples of rock in the noughties. Pickings are thin these days.
Their first two albums were solid. First was a classic for sure.

As for Greta Van Fleet I cannot listen to them because they sound like a Led Zeppelin cover band and unless they branch out from that I will not listen to them.
Again, their sound might be in part a rip off of LZ, but they cover zero songs of theirs.

Last edited:
Angles was my second favorite album of theirs after the Is This It
yeah Angles was good too. Some of the third one was pretty good. The first two are classic strokes to me though.

This might be my favorite Arctic Monkeys song... which is funny because it was only released as a B-Side

I really do hope so. I'm not an enormous Greta Van Fleet guy, but if they're gettinf kids into rock music, that's awesome.
That's how I feel. They're not my favorite band by any means but if they can open the door for labels to push more rock bands then maybe a band will come along in their wake that I really will like so I'm rooting for them

Back