Is DC a freak athlete?

TerraRayzing

Little eagle soars again
@Brown
Reaction score
Dude is 40 and started MMA in his mid 30s, went years without losing a round and beat great fighters who were younger than him. Dude is deceptively fast for his looks and even Jones admitted that DC was faster than him at times.
Yoel is obvious but what about DC? Dude wrestled for a long time and came into MMA, was quick, strong as hell, with great cardio and tough as fuck.
Inb4 eyepokes and possible roiding.

Anyone who is still as fast as he is at his age is pretty freaky

He's a very skilled fighter. If he was a freak athlete he'd be in goat conversations.

hes an Olympic level athlete, huge natural talents, lacks physical discipline and has mental lapses during competition, freak athlete maybe an exaggeration but his bottleneck to peak performance isn't raw physicality

Certainly a top level athlete in the MMA world.

Yes he was undefeated in 2 divisions and still would be if he wasnt fed a dose of CTE from the GOAT

He's the Yao Ming of MMA

He's a very skilled fighter. If he was a freak athlete he'd be in goat conversations.
Jon Jones is in GOAT conversations and he's not a very good athlete

Jon-Jones-basketball-dunk-GIF.gif

I think he could of went to college via football or wrestling. Thats pretty athletic imo, iirc he was a beast fullback coming up.

He doesn't play football so he's mediocre at best.

Useless question. Is this 1) a semantic debate about the definition of 'freak athlete' or 2) a conversation about DC? Because most answers are going to hinge on the first, not the second.

Here's my answer: almost everyone in the UFC is more athletic than 99.9% of the population. But DC earned his way onto the US Olympic wrestling team; that alone puts him in a high echelon. Then a career in fighting afterwards puts him higher. So I put him as more athletic than 99.995% of the population.

Does that make him Bo Jackson level? Depends on whether you think wrestling & fighting > baseball and football. Me? I don't care, because that's now a semantic debate on the word 'freak'.

Last edited:
He never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Jon Jones is in GOAT conversations and he's not a very good athlete

Jon-Jones-basketball-dunk-GIF.gif
Attempting to dunk of one leg and one step isnt easy and it's extremely ackward. This isn't really an indicator of Jon's athleticism. There are guys in the NBA that would look just as bad.

Attempting to dunk of one leg and one step isnt easy and it's extremely ackward. This isn't really an indicator of Jon's athleticism. There are guys in the NBA that would look just as bad.
This, though I still don't think Jones could dunk regardless of the setup.

Back