is david haye...

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by absofsteel1977, Mar 13, 2008.

1. absofsteel1977

absofsteel1977 Banned Banned

the next evander holyfield. having rewatched a few early holyfield fights IMO they share a few few shared characteristics mainly speed and power...

do people think he could make the same impact ?

2. bradlee180

bradlee180 Banned Banned

Comparable speed of Holyfield and Haye: Yes.

Comparable power: Nope.

Comparable chin: Nope.

Haye and Holyfield are only about an inch different in height, but Holyfield is naturally about 186 to 188 lbs (Cruiserweight limit then was 190 lbs, and Holy came in several pounds under the limit) and Holy had to build himself up to compete at heavyweight whereas David Haye's natural weight is probably about 220 lbs and he had to diet down his last fights to fight at Cruiserweight (Cruiserweight limit now is 200 lbs).

I think Haye's going to make some real noise at heavyweight.
    Much more power than Holyfield, but not close to the granite chin of Holyfield.

I hope Haye doesn't bulk up too much and lose that fantastic conditioning because that will compromise his advantages of speed and athleticism.

3. absofsteel1977

absofsteel1977 Banned Banned

holyfields warrior spirit certainly isnt matched... the burning question is can haye fight back from adversity?

4. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

edit- misread post

5. bradlee180

bradlee180 Banned Banned

I think the outspoken Haye is GREAT for Boxing not just on his crowd-pleasing fighting style but also because he's so outspoken, articulate and arrogant. Seems to be a bit of an over-arrogant A-hole actually...but he's still GREAT for Heavyweight Boxing!

"Inject some life into a Sucky division", as Haye said..
    Wlad/Sultan was "a DISGRACE" as he said.
    He's "not motivated by pu$$y" as he said; he's had "more than his share".
    The guy talks in sound-bites, great for self-promotion and attracting folks back to the Heavyweight division. I think Haye's the only guy at Heavyweight that I'm currently really interested in seeing fight.

Whatever happens, you'll see an exciting fight and a KO.

6. Dit365

Dit365 Purple Belt

in fairness to haye he did fight back against mormeck . if i remember the correctly mormeck was winning for a while until haye took over

i don't think he'll ever match holyfields shrewdness , heart and game plan , i think he'll be a hw champion and has all the tool to be a great champion .

but and it a big but his chin and his low hands could be his achilles heal against big hitters like Klitschko and samuel peter .

7. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

I actually agree. I really am not excited about any Klitcshko fight that may happen. Sam Peter, since giving up his brawling for boxing, is a let down. Chagaev? zzzzz....

Haye just might be able to make some waves, I think it depends how he carries the extra weight.

8. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

Hes been dropped before and won.

9. IamaFight Freak

IamaFight Freak Yellow Belt

Haye is only comparable to Holyfeild in that he wants to move up to heavy weight.
    thier styles are much diffrent. i think haye was a bit more power but he does not have a good chin. he will get koed when he meets the top heavyweights

10. Saku4me

Saku4me Banned Banned

Haye's power is comparable to Holyfield as is their weight and height but other than that, we can't say for sure. I don't know how to compare them otherwise. Holyfield is a warrior and this far in Haye's career, I'd say Holyfield has shown the warrior no-die attitude and I don't feel I've seen that from Haye.

We'll see when Haye fights against a ranked HW.

11. Wigglyman

Wigglyman Brown Belt

Go watch the mormeck fight, he gets cut REALLY badly...then digs deep comes back to KO mormeck, fantastic fight, in fact I'ma go watch it!!

Seriously if the bulking up doesn't slow Haye down, he could be the one to unify the HW division, not Wlad!!

Plus he has character and charisma, he can sell fights, exactly what the HW's need.

12. BobbyBrez

BobbyBrez Brown Belt

Haye doesn't have to use science to bulk up to HW... so no.

13. Czechvarmander

Czechvarmander Green Belt

While obviously it has to be taken with a grain of salt Haye attributed his wobbly legs in the Mormeck fight to the amount of weight he has to cut to make 200.

Watching the fight over again it really looks like his legs gave out on him more than being rocked by the punches.

It will be interesting to see how he does handle a HW shot when he does take a shot.

I also think Haye is better conditioned at this point than Holyfield was at a comparable juncture. In the first Qawi fight Holyfield was in real deep water towards the latter stages, although it was a 15 rounder.

It was only after experiences like this that Holyfield turned up the conditioning and umm some help from science.