Is Dave Chappelle being Hypocrite when talking about Political Correctness?

OP you are helpless. You don't even know what you don't know.

Dave is not funny anymore.

Dave hasnt been funny since he got buff.

99fb8b1b664dd7793aac197197e1cf59.jpg

<JagsKiddingMe>
Not only do your threads suck so do your opinions. Absolute shit take

No one:
The internet: Dave Chappelle can do no wrong. 2nd coming of jesus christ.

Badmouthing Dave Chappelle is not politically correct. You should be ashamed TS

I think if the material bothered me to that degree, I wouldn't write/perform that material in the first place. Problem solved.

Maybe he had to perform it and see the reactions to realise that he didn't want to do that anymore? And he hasn't since, AFAIK.

Somewhere out there that white guy that laughed hard is probably living a normal life and has no idea Dave was that troubled by his laughter
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it, but IIRC speculation was that the laugher in question was Bill Burr.

I feel you're leaving out a lot of context. He was joking about meth addicts in his small town in rural Ohio breaking into his house. They would happen to be white, just like crack heads in D.C. breaking into his house would be black. He's made a lot of these types of jokes over the years. You're making it a lot more serious than it is.

I’m talking more about the white guy cutting across his property joke. And Dave going “he was white” and talking about wanting a rifle so he could shoot him.

Over the years Dave has many thinly veiled racist jokes that you can feel the venom.

so it makes sense that Dave was joking about racist comedians get along. And when On stage Dave says when they say a joke Dave will go “oh he meant that”. Bc so does Dave lol.

I’ll always let it slide from Dave though. He’s too funny

You're not hearing it right.
The white guy is laughing because Dave's doing Coonery and Jigabooish material.

I actually agree with Dave on that move. I had a white friend who would quote Chappelle all the time and it was always one of the skits or quotes that would basically slight black people or make black people look cartoonish. And most white people would quote those.

If Dave did a joke on activator, alot of white people simply wouldnt get it and you would never hear them quote those lines.

I saw Tracy Morgan do a joke of a black woman and he starts patting his head. Not one white person laughed or knew what the fuck was going on.
But black people did, its a hair joke for those wondering.
This seems reasonable. People seem to think of everything as binary - “It’s either this or that.” The reality is that basically everyone agrees with some amount of political correctness. Some people take political correctness too far. And then there are some who just rally against political correctness altogether. Both are fucking morons in my book.

Should you be aware of how your words could affect marginalized groups in society? Yes. But also, people need to understand the difference between jokes a comedian tells, and real bigotry. And of course, the funnier the joke, the more people will let slide.

The point of Comedy is to get Offended by White Men laughing? I thought it was just to make people laugh..... Dreck.

Fixed.

Already seen it.... What am I missing? Seems like a lot of you are so far up Dave's Ass you can't even be subjective about it.

Also for everyone saying he didn't leave Chappelle show because of the White guy laughing...….. That was the last thing he shot and said he needed a break. I guess that was just a coincidence? It wasn't but even then..... He got triggered enough by a white guy laughing he needed a break (Fact) is some serious Bitch level Snowflakery.

This is not a left/right issue here... I just don't like when people say things and do another. He wants to be Anti PC and talk about how everyone is so sensitive these days..... BUT HE NEEDED A BREAK BECAUSE A FUCKING WHITE GUY LAUGHED TOO HARD AT HIS OWN JOKES. It's ridiculous. I knew this thread was just gonna fill up with Pro Dave people that will white knight him no matter what but you don't have to be Anti Dave just to see the hypocrisy. I like Dave.... But he is a hypocrite.
lol nice try with this nonsense

It seems to me that Dave doesn't even know what's going on in his mind. We're listening to him work it out when we watch his stuff. It's like Ice T's music, he complains that the white man floods the hood with guns, then 5 seconds later he brags about how he's got AK's stashed away with a case of hand grenades.

Sometimes people don't make any sense but they're entertaining anyways.

Sometimes there's no chicken. Sometimes there's no road.

The dress thing isn't really hypocricy, the shit you will do for your first acting role at 18 or 19 and the shit you will do 5 years later with a little more wisdom and experience can be vastly different. Keenan on SNL drew a line in the sand and said he wasn't going to be a woman in every sketch just so SNL could avoid hiring a black woman. Even though he had played ball for years. It's not because he was hypocritical, he had just arrived at a point in his career where he said "fuck it".

Dave has taken the time to articulate in pretty grainular detail, in a number of interviews the distinction he drew between using comedy to point out how racist our institutions are, and laughing at peoples suffering or victimization. That's not a distinction between being PC or not. Its the distinction between using something positive (humor) to shine a light on a really negative thing in hopes that people will understand how strange and ridiculous it is, and shining a light on a negative thing and saying this is something positive to be enjoyed and laughed at. I guess it can be a subtle distinction, but it's definintely there. He was worried his show was shifting from the former to the latter, he wasn't worried that a white guy thought his show was funny.

This is actually only slightly related, but this is a pretty damned interesting breakdown of HOW Chappelle works:

DC is great but he gets a pass for his racism. Don't @ me white guilt mayberry crew, you know who you are.

Last edited:
I think if the material bothered me to that degree, I wouldn't write/perform that material in the first place. Problem solved.
Nevermind the fact there's a difference between the material and how people interpret it, but this is exactly what happened. He stopped. He changed his behaviour and took a 50 million dollar pay cut. That isn't political correctness: He didn't try to get a media campaign or protest the laughers or control when were allowed to laugh.

We are all hypocrites at one point or another, I'll be happy when this whole "let's judge everything anybody ever does and turn in our judgement for social media points/clout" bitch ass era is over.

For the people that don't get it, it would be like if you are telling jokes and people laugh and you like it, then you realise that people are laughing before you get to the punchline because they are just laughing at your goofy accent. It wouldn't be PC to just not tell jokes.

There's a difference between outrage culture and a comedian deciding to take time off and reflect on what message his material is sending.

The skits were self deprecation but Dave in that moment felt like it went from the outside audience laughing with black people to laughing at them. That wasn't the intended message and as an artist he wanted to regroup and find a better way to approach it. But Comedy Central wanted to push what sold and that material sold. So he stepped away.

Artistic integrity and outrage culture that seeks to silence others are two incredibly different things. Being against the latter doesn't mean you literally stop caring entirely what message you are sending yourself. It's honestly sad that's even being questioned.

Back