Is Daniel Cormier too small for Jones?

When those fighters fight off of the backfoot (Machida and Rashad, notably). Cormier doesn't fight off the backfoot. He comes forward.

He could still come forward and miss, as other fighters have tried. He doesn't have the size to trouble Jones. If he was a bigger guy, there is no doubt he'd give Jones a very hard time due to his skill set.

I believe Cormier will win, but I won't ignore the hight and reach differences either since they are so gapped here.

Cormier has 2 issues that I would like to see him fix or maybe take a lesson from his student Cain Velasquez: He seems rather vulnerable to kicks and knees. Have you seen his fight with Barnett and Mir? Barnett was at a point where he laid some offensive kicking and knees and boy did Cormier feel it and back up against the fence, he even squinted his eyes because the knee to his face hurt so bad, then Barnett stopped... If only he would have continued the knees and kicks he would come close to breaking down Cormier, but it's the fear of getting taken down is what prevented more of that I believe.

Next was with Mir, when Mir started to kick Cormier's body a few times in a row the Cormier went flying back into the cage and ate another kick and Cormier had no answer for it, he looked troubled by those kicks and was ready to eat more, then Mir stopped.... You get the point, go look at those fights again.

Jones would need to utilize fast kicks and avoid a take down by Cormier but I doubt that will be possible lol

The 2nd issue with Cormier is he doesn't put enough pace in some fights. He was just going back and forth with Mir, although successful, it was boring and he could have ended it quicker. Same with Barnett, although he owned Barnett, I'm not sure why he was holding back so much when he has the ability to run over these guys.

I say this because Jon Jones doesn't seem to handle pressure well so hopefully Cormier doesn't do the 'back and forth' thing but pursues like Cain. However Jon Jones does kick and knee pretty good which might help him a bit against Cormier.

The only reason I pick Cormier to win is primarily because of his Olympic wrestling and strength. It's just sad that those are the only things he has to keep him alive but it may wok for years to come.

Last edited:
He had no problem with Bigfoot... Reach won't help jones from being put on his back.
Won't know how it'll go till it happens tho I guess... People on here give too much credit to reach advantage tho IMO its a faster but its not the be all and end all

He could still come forward and miss, as other fighters have tried. He doesn't have the size to trouble Jones. If he was a bigger guy, there is no doubt he'd give Jones a very hard time due to his skill set.

Gus' size isn't what troubled Jones, first and foremost. His ability to stop the takedown, back Jones up, jab his way inside and work inside punching range were the significant factors. Cormier possesses similar skills (among the best wrestlers in MMA, comes forward, has a great jab and routinely uses it to get inside and good hand and foot speed).

Gus' size isn't what troubled Jones, first and foremost. His ability to stop the takedown, back Jones up, jab his way inside and work inside punching range were the significant factors. Cormier possesses similar skills (among the best wrestlers in MMA, comes forward, has a great jab and routinely uses it to get inside and good hand and foot speed).

Gus' size definitely troubled Jones. He wasn't used to someone as big and as skilled as Gus, that's what really gave him a hard time. Cormier is skilled but doesn't have the size to match up to Jones, and who knows how he'll even look at LHW. If he maintains his speed and strength, then yeah I'd give him a much better chance.

Jones isnt landing multiple kicks on Cormier. Cormier wont fear Jones guard like he did Mir. If Jones tries those weak ass kicks on Cormier, Daniel will dump him on his back all night.

No way in hell Jones can punch with Cormier.

Cormier by KO all day.

I have a feeling this is another wishful thinking type confidence from fans. It seems most of you think Cormier will beat Jones.

I don't see Cormier beating Jones. I just don't...

Gus' size definitely troubled Jones. He wasn't used to someone as big and as skilled as Gus, that's what really gave him a hard time. Cormier is skilled but doesn't have the size to match up to Jones, and who knows how he'll even look at LHW. If he maintains his speed and strength, then yeah I'd give him a much better chance.

I have a feeling this is another wishful thinking type confidence from fans. It seems most of you think Cormier will beat Jones.

It is entirely simplistic to suggest that size is why Gustafsson fought on even terms with Jones, I think. I usually preface my breakdowns of Cormier at LHW by saying that I am assuming that he looks relatively similar to how he looked at HW. I realize this is an assumption, and I could be wrong. As for CJ, if you want to break down the fight and explain how you think it will go, feel free to do it. Jones should certainly be a favorite, but I think people should actually put some thought into their picks and back them up.

I'm not sold on Cormier's ability to take a punch or kick. Plus his cardio seems really bad.

He was wincing in pain from taking body kicks in his last fight and had poor defense and reactions to them. Jones will throw kicks at will and hurt him bad.

Since he refuses to go for submissions, his only chance is to wrestle Jones for 5 rounds or get the KO and I think he's too slow for that.

Mir landed multiple kicks on Cormier because Cormier was hesitant to take Mir down because he had respect for Mir's guard.

If Jones tries to kick too much Cormier will snatch his leg and dump him on the ground each time.

If Gus can take Jones down, DC is going to as well.

Eating healthy gets you hospitalized?

You can technically eat junk food with zero micronutrients and fiber and lose weight.

Losing weight aka eating at a caloric deficit =/= eating healthy.

However, when one calorie restricts, he typically is increasing the micronutrient intake through fruits and vegetables, although not always.

I think Height and Reach are defiantly going to become a problem for Daniel Cormier, remember to take someone down you have to get a hold of them and getting hit by arms that are as long as meter sticks makes the take down attempts much harder but then again this is MMA anything could happen.

He's stronger with better wrestling.

Even with his short limbs he could probably get inside and take Jones down.

I give TS credit for still starting threads and posting under the same account. Whomever is behind that keyboard is beyond help.

I'd like to open this can of worms, as I tried to yesterday. I'm not sure what in the world you are referencing, but I see you're from the same city as me. I'm not sure if that has something to do with it...

Back