Is Dana White Bluffing About Reasons Behind UFC Killing Random Drug Testing?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by FNU047, Jan 7, 2015.

1. FNU047

FNU047 White Belt

Dana White claims that the reason the UFC is getting out of random drug testing is the commissions need to do it, and he's saying Cung Le's case is the perfect example of why the UFC shouldn't be in the drug testing business. The only problem is, commissions don't do testing when the UFC goes overseas. The UFC is left having to set up their own testing every time they go somewhere with no commission. So, Cung Le's false positive has nothing to do with random testing. Doesn't it seem more likely that the Jones situation and the potential of cancelled/rescheduled fights as a result of successful random testing is the real reason White shut down the independent testing plan?

2. IngaVovchanchyn

IngaVovchanchyn Titanium Belt Platinum Member

3. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe Silver Belt

Most likely.

4. bubkusjones

bubkusjones Brown Belt

Thought this was obvious.

5. Jawth

Jawth Silver Belt

No. They humiliated themselves with the Le situation and have an extra plaintiff in a huge lawsuit too.

6. Jin Akutsu

Jin Akutsu Gengar Belt Platinum Member

Hard to say. Could also be because of the Cung Le debacle.

7. PrinceOfPain

PrinceOfPain Silver Belt

Seems likely.

8. IMDIYM

IMDIYM Brown Belt

Dana said it. So i thought we all knew it was a lie

9. SKWERT

SKWERT White Belt

No. Dana never ever never ever never ever never ever lies.

10. EXlLE**

EXlLE** Orange Belt

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/1/1...fc-scrapped-plans-for-out-of-competition-drug

White continued by saying that, while they have come to the realization that the promotion cannot oversee its own drug testing program, Zuffa will instead give more money to athletic commisions to help fund additional testing.

"What we'll do is we'll help fund it, so they can do more drug testing," he said. "Our legal department screwed that whole thing up. We've got no business handling the regulation."

Im sure theyll "fund" more when ppvs are going down with injuries and Jon Jones has just been found with a T/E ratio

11. Donny White

Donny White Brown Belt

I hope Jones sues the UFC and becomes the new Dana.

12. Scyther

Scyther Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I think the Cung Le situation definitely has to do with it. But let's be honest here most sports don't random drug test and they don't random drug test for a reason. The more fighters caught on roids the worse off for business the UFC is, steroids also help fighters heal quicker from injuries, and we all know how the injury bug hurts the UFC.

The UFC is simply trying to take the approach of other major sports (aside from baseball), which is ultimately better for business.

13. FNU047

FNU047 White Belt

Didn't think I'd get the biggest laugh of the day from Sherdog, but here it is.

The whole situation reminds me of the days I worked as a bouncer for strippers, and the boss didn't want to ever hear about his girls being involved in prostitution of any kind. If they were, he once told me, that was fine with him because it brought more business in (even if he wasn't getting paid for all that business). Knowing about it would make him a co-conspirator, so he just blocked it out and pretended like it never happened. I think that's what the UFC is doing with illegal drug use and PEDs. They know it's a problem, but they would rather pretend to be sincere about doing something rather than actually doing something about the problem.

14. Monkey Pride

Monkey Pride Blue Belt

Lol of course! For the same reason the NFL took years to start testing for HGH. I was surprised they ever did any at all and really didn't trust them when they did.

15. AP_RESURRECTION

AP_RESURRECTION Gold Belt

pretty much exactly covered by luke thomas

16. HIMBOB

HIMBOB Steel Belt

Its very clearly this.

They fucked up his testing in spectacular fashion and ruined a guys public image on the basis of some third world testing result.

They are very clearly have a case to answer here. Could they get sued for it? I dunno.

But they can not let this happen again because if they knew that had an issue and didn't fix it they have an even stronger case to answer.

17. Char Jawz

Char Jawz FrankieNYC Belt...RIP brother

Sues the UFC for doing nothing? That would be weird...

18. Lucifer Alpha

Lucifer Alpha The Catastrophe

Ratner said they weren't going to test for "illegal street drugs," so it wouldn't matter if Jones was coked up.

19. FNU047

FNU047 White Belt

It doesn't make much sense to allow this to continue unchecked now, though. Think of how many fighters will now be convinced doing cocaine is not going to get them in trouble. Now they actually need this random testing, and it should include all substances that are either "illegal" or "banned."

20. FNU047

FNU047 White Belt

Does anyone have a link to this Luke Thomas covering the exact same thing?