Is Dana hoping for a Cain win?

Yes he does.

But the NHL sure as hell did not want the eigth seed winning the cup a few years back, and they could not stop it. But sports are sports, and the most important thing is creating a level playing field with genuine outcomes.

I dunno Cain hasn't proven to be able to attract the Mexican demographic yet while JDS has proven to be pretty huge in Brazil.

I'm not sure Cain fits the bill for what Mexican fight fans usually like in their fighters.

If he really wanted to get Cain back on the hype train he wouldn't of let him have this rematch already. Lets face it, IF Cain does get knocked out again he is going to fall to irrelevant level. He went from being some unbeatable machine to being your average top tier guy overnight. I know right now people are saying "he could beat anyone other than JDS and maybe Overeem" but if he gets knocked out again people are soon going to be questioning his lack of a big win on his record. Please don't say Brock is a big win lol, he has competed like @ss against this generations fighters and the only in prime win he has worth a damn is against Mir who fell over after nearly finishing Brock and going 2-0 against him and Mir should be the perfect style fighter for Brock to run over.

This fight to me is like taking an "All in" for Cain but it is WAY too early in his career for this.

You'd think Dana would want Cain to bring in the Mexican market but this kind of decision makes me think otherwise to be honest.

But he's American, isn't he?
I don't think that will make him really popular in Mexico ....
For example, if the UFC tried to market an American whos parents came from Germany and who has lived his whole life in the USA as a German Fighter, I wouldn't like it, my friends wouldn't like it, and it definatley wouldn't make him very popular in Germany.

Doesn't the Brazil cards do crazy attendance numbers that rival Las Vegas seats?

He should be chasing pesos in Brazil.

For example, if the UFC tried to market an American whos parents came from Germany and who has lived his whole life in the USA as a German Fighter, I wouldn't like it, my friends wouldn't like it, and it definatley wouldn't make him very popular in Germany.

Well, Lombard is pretty much worshiped by the Aussie MMA scene just because he grew up in Australia (Granted that Lombard had a very good run in the top Australian MMA promotion as well). But I think it's possible. If Mexico had more top level fighters things would be different, but they don't.

I dunno Cain hasn't proven to be able to attract the Mexican demographic yet while JDS has proven to be pretty huge in Brazil.

I'm not sure Cain fits the bill for what Mexican fight fans usually like in their fighters.

Maybe because Mexicans realize that Cain is a guy who grew up in Arizona pretending to be a Mexican. No mention of how he grew up his entire life in America attending school on full scholarship, it all goes back to him telling stories of his dad stacking jalapenos on trucks while Cain was home playing with Power Ranger toys.

Kane didn't use his wrestling!!1!

Yes, that is why Cain is getting an immediate title shot after just one win: because Dana wants him to win and I think Dana sees it as Cain Valasquez being a more marketable champion for the UFC's orginization.

Last edited:
Well, Lombard is pretty much worshiped by the Aussie MMA scene just because he grew up in Australia (Granted that Lombard had a very good run in the top Australian MMA promotion as well). But I think it's possible. If Mexico had more top level fighters things would be different, but they don't.

Yeah, and where did Cain grow up? :wink:

he thinks: not another brazilian champ, we need to mix it up a bit

well duh!

you could see how bummed he was when dos santos knocked cain out

In the press conference yesterday, he mentioned the Mexican market not taking off like he had hoped. Do you think he is actually hoping Cain defeats JDS to help grow the Mexican market for the UFC more?

dana-white-cash.jpg

captain obvious I presume!

images

Didn't you see how mad he was on live TV during their first fight???

Yes, but Brazilian fans are already on board with MMA.

Ok, so the UFC becomes hugely popular in Mexico. You have any idea how poor that country is? UFC is a business. It's about money. New fans are great if they have money to spend on the product, or a TV to watch to boost ratings.

Yeah, and where did Cain grow up? :wink:

True, but it's more of a culture thing I think. He (pretends) to pretty much live a Mexican lifestyle and he does kind of have the image to suite it. But good luck getting Mexicans to root for Cain after JMM just KO'd Pacquiao.

It wouldn't work because Germans are white, just like the majority of people in the US.

Now if you still don't get it I guess there is no hope for you.

Ok, so the UFC becomes hugely popular in Mexico. You have any idea how poor that country is? UFC is a business. It's about money. New fans are great if they have money to spend on the product, or a TV to watch to boost ratings.

Mexico is a top 15-20 economy in the world. It's a pretty huge market.

Back