Is cutting around 10 pounds for a wrestling match on Wednesday reachable?

MacDaddyWraslin

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've never cut more than 6 pounds but I pigged out on New Years Eve. We are facing a top 20 school in our state so we need to match up perfect. I weigh around 162 and I need to be 152, is this reachable? Should I just tell my coach I can't reach it so he can put out a new line up?

i'd say yes, i bet if you talked your team mates or coach they would help you out.

edit: i sat on this page a bit before posting this, but ya polish headlock has some good questions that could change my answer, though in most cases would still say its possible.

i'd say yes, i bet if you talked your team mates or coach they would help you out.

edit: i sat on this page a bit before posting this, but ya polish headlock has some good questions that could change my answer, though in most cases would still say its possible.

I think it is definitely doable. I've seen kids do way worse.

I'm just kind of surprised to see a HS wrestler asking unless he is a Freshman or this is his first year wrestling.

Depends on your genetics, age, body type, etc. I think it's doable though.

It really depends on your body. It's a bit too late to diet properly, so it depends on how much weight you naturally lose from practice and stuff like that.

I've never cut more than 6 pounds but I pigged out on New Years Eve. We are facing a top 20 school in our state so we need to match up perfect. I weigh around 162 and I need to be 152, is this reachable? Should I just tell my coach I can't reach it so he can put out a new line up?

Absolutely reachable.

When I wrestled in HS I was at the 119 lb weight class (I think it was 119?). I have very low body fat, but I was still able to lose 8 lbs in 1 day. It sucked, felt like crap, but you can lose the weight to meet your goal. Those were the worst wrestling matches I had as well.

Now you will understand that your performance will suffer a lot because of this. You still got some time, but in terms of what the healthiest and best way to do it is, i am no expert.

What I can say is yes, absolutely you can cut that weight (naturally your body shifts +/- 5 lbs each day on it's own).

I've dropped 15 in the same time frame. was kind of tired for the fights, but it's easily doable if you take it seriously enough. it's likely going to mean some dehydration though.

I once cut 8lbs in two days. Horrible experience.

Definitely. Eat little, drink little etc. You know the deal.

I've done 10lbs in less then 24hrs so its totally doable. I would recommend getting Pedialyte to recover after weigh ins to replace all the water weight you lost cutting though.

I've done 10lbs in less then 24hrs so its totally doable. I would recommend getting Pedialyte to recover after weigh ins to replace all the water weight you lost cutting though.

What methods do you use?

I don't want to run much so I don't get tired during my match, I'm probably going to work out 5 pounds and try to lose the other 5 with castor oil and hot showers.

This thread is exactly why I won't let my 5 year old son wrestle for his school when he gets to that age, even though I love parts of what competing in wrestling does for a young man.

All the wrestlers I train BJJ with are driven, hardworking grinders with a great grappling base, I would love for my son to get that but not at the risk of kidney damage and stunted growth. Yes, son, you can cut 10 pounds in 3 days but Jesus Christ you shouldn't.

What methods do you use?

I don't want to run much so I don't get tired during my match, I'm probably going to work out 5 pounds and try to lose the other 5 with castor oil and hot showers.

I put on two pairs of sweats, wore a beanie, two hoodies and two pairs of socks, ran a mile every couple hours or so (getting on a spin bike works well too). I wouldn't recommend trying to get the weight out with laxatives, you won't be eating enough to poop much out. I ate a wheat wrap filled with lettuce for one meal and a plain chicken breast for another while maybe eating an apple for a snack. Its hard, it sucks, but it works if you don't cheat.

This thread is exactly why I won't let my 5 year old son wrestle for his school when he gets to that age, even though I love parts of what competing in wrestling does for a young man.

All the wrestlers I train BJJ with are driven, hardworking grinders with a great grappling base, I would love for my son to get that but not at the risk of kidney damage and stunted growth. Yes, son, you can cut 10 pounds in 3 days but Jesus Christ you shouldn't.

The only reason I cut was because I was stupid with my weight management. He'll be fine as long as he loses weight in a healthy way and knows what a healthy weight for him is, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I wish I could've started wrestling at that age. The only reason I have to cut is because I have terrible self control, I binge all the time.

You should get your kid to wrestle, it's a great experience and it shows you what hard work could accomplish. Just make him wrestle his natural weight class, my natural weight class is 160 but I had a three week notice to go down to 152 by my coach and I fucked up on Christmas and New Years.

If you're supportive and eat healthy with your family during each wrestling season you should have no problem. My family eats unhealthy all the time. I make my own food everyday but sometimes I say fuck it and eat what my mom makes.

I understand your concern. That being said, 10 pounds in 3 days really isn't a big deal, and won't cause kidney damage or stunted growth. An individual can easily sweat out 5-8 pounds after a tough wrestling practice. You lose the remaining few pounds with a restrictive diet (cut the carbs & sodium about 2 days out). Ideally you weigh in the night before. If it's morning of, hopefully you'll have a few hours to replenish.

I don't think you should be making a cut like this every week, but if it's a one time thing, 10 pounds isn't bad. Here's a pretty good guide: http://www.grapplearts.com/Blog/2012/03/how-to-cut-and-make-weight/

I understand your concern. That being said, 10 pounds in 3 days really isn't a big deal, and won't cause kidney damage or stunted growth. An individual can easily sweat out 5-8 pounds after a tough wrestling practice. You lose the remaining few pounds with a restrictive diet (cut the carbs & sodium about 2 days out). Ideally you weigh in the night before. If it's morning of, hopefully you'll have a few hours to replenish.

I don't think you should be making a cut like this every week, but if it's a one time thing, 10 pounds isn't bad. Here's a pretty good guide: http://www.grapplearts.com/Blog/2012/03/how-to-cut-and-make-weight/

Thanks for the man, looks like a lot of good info.

I wish I could've started wrestling at that age. The only reason I have to cut is because I have terrible self control, I binge all the time.

You should get your kid to wrestle, it's a great experience and it shows you what hard work could accomplish. Just make him wrestle his natural weight class, my natural weight class is 160 but I had a three week notice to go down to 152 by my coach and I fucked up on Christmas and New Years.

If you're supportive and eat healthy with your family during each wrestling season you should have no problem. My family eats unhealthy all the time. I make my own food everyday but sometimes I say fuck it and eat what my mom makes.

He does the kids MMA program at my gym which has some wraslin in it. Unless they end weight classes and use the Madison System in HS wrestling I won't let him do it. Kids your age should never be cutting weight, whats safe for a grown man is not the same as what is safe or healthly for a teenager that is still growing, its not worth it.

Back