Is curiosity becoming more scarce?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Rogan had a guest not too long ago and he mentioned that people seem to be less and less curios for mysteries of life and the unknown. They talked about how people from the past had a burning desire for some form of wisdom and knowledge like hypnosis, meditation, a particular form of martial arts or some form of knowledge or skill that is unconventional .

I didn't much of his comment but recently I was talking to few people after class and they would say something similar like how back in the day someone would get up, hop on a plane or a boat to find a teacher that can teach them something that is an interest to them.

Now it seems not to be the case with young people but I am not sure if they are correct or not. Is the new generation the type who lack the fortitude for adventure and curiosity?

5ec2c4bba8f2a.jpeg

Rogan had a guest not too long ago and he mentioned that people seem to be less and less curios for mysteries of life and the unknown. They talked about how people from the past had a burning desire for some form of wisdom and knowledge like hypnosis, meditation, a particular form of martial arts or some form of knowledge or skill that is unconventional .

I didn't much of his comment but recently I was talking to few people after class and they would say something similar like how back in the day someone would get up, hop on a plane or a boat to find a teacher that can teach them something that is an interest to them.

Now it seems not to be the case with young people but I am not sure if they are correct or not. Is the new generation the type who lack the fortitude for adventure and curiosity?
We’re too busy working to survive and everything is too fucking expensive. Capitalism has us right where they want us. 60hour work weeks so we don’t have the energy for curiosity and spending all our money on dumb shit we don’t need.

I wan to say yes... but I don’t think it is.
One direct example I myself can relate too.,. Is so much beautiful music (being produced today still). Could be more accessibility though.

I still think there’s much wonder & creativity out there today though, just watered down perhaps in general.

Perhaps in general pop may have been stifled or coming out in different way in some people or younger generation.

I THINK it’s an answer with a mixed bag of answers.

Last edited:
Idk man. When I was growing up boomers were never curious about much of anything

Curiousness is thriving these days, no? The internet has ways of satisfying curiosities that used to only exist in fiction.

Joe Rogans guest was probably some dumby with a phd

Last edited:
We’re too busy working to survive and everything is too fucking expensive. Capitalism has us right where they want us. 60hour work weeks so we don’t have the energy for curiosity and spending all our money on dumb shit we don’t need.

LoL. You don't have to buy things. I buy nothing. I do however like to build things. I don't keep up with others. I don't mind driving a inexpensive car. Cheap, plain clothes.

I hate accumulating "stuff."

Keep it simple. Get outside. Enjoy the world and your family. It is all I need. I mean, I can entertain my kids by shooting rubber bands into cups. Endless fun. We invent games.

I do buy tools though. Because I built my own house.

Good point!

I live in a very expensive city and at some point I had to work insane hours 6 years ago. Now things are better and there is room to explore skillset and afford teachers in an area of interest.

This is a great privilege that I am aware of but the thing is, I mean it cant be super expensive in every place on earth. So perhaps you can get someone who has the time and energy to explore their curiosity.

I wan to say yes... but I don’t think it is.
One direct example I myself can relate too.,. Is so much beautiful music (being produced today still). Could be more accessibility though.

Stillwmdsr and creativity out there today though so much. Perhaps in general pop may have been stifled... or coming out in different way in some people or younger generation.

I THINK it’s an answer with a mixed bag of answers.

Music is still very good but I find movies these days to be unwatchable. I watched a serial killer movie with the actor of Negan being the protagonist and the entire crew and storyline was so underwhelming and just plain uninterested in the roles.

I was expecting a great film but none of the actors had any passion and the storyline was just lazy and random.

Idk man. When I was growing up boomers were never curious about much of anything

Still, there was great movies, there was discussions based on understanding the opposing side as oppose to these flame wars that are going down on social media.

No one wants to learn industry trade secret. People seem to just want to argue about their view point. In 2000s, folks were looking to gain some advantage to be ahead of the rest but now it doesn't seem to be the case it seems.

As mentioned, it's easier to feed one's curiosity nowadays. The advent of the internet & ease of access to information has made the need to "hop on a plane or a boat to find a teacher that can teach them something" mostly unnecessary.

LoL. You don't have to buy things. I buy nothing. I do however like to build things. I don't keep up with others. I don't mind driving a inexpensive car. Cheap, plain clothes.

I hate accumulating "stuff."

Keep it simple. Get outside. Enjoy the world and your family. It is all I need. I mean, I can entertain my kids by shooting rubber bands into cups. Endless fun. We invent games.

I do buy tools though. Because I built my own house.
I guess what I said was more specifically directed at leaving a job or old life behind and flying to some new place and allowing yourself to become immersed in whatever it is you are pursuing. That’s the vibe I got from the question he asked. I’ve been studying Buddhism for about a year and half and I would love to fuck off and fly to India or Nepal and study at a temple and live amongst some of the great minds in Buddhism but that shit will probably never happen.
I think people had the luxury to do shit like that in the past but it simply isn’t a thing anymore.
1. Travel was cheap and hitchhiking was safe. My dad hitchhiked from Cleveland to Denver in the 60’s when he turned 18 and it only took him a couple weeks to get out there. People were a lot friendlier and more willing to help out travelers.
2. Most people today live check to check. If you stop working for even a week it could mean ruin for some people. Where I live I pay $1400 a month for a one bedroom apartment. Who tf is going to be able to go on some huckleberry fin bullshit adventure and not have to worry about finances.
3. Kids aren’t taught the same type of independence as the boomer generation was. I sure wasn’t. Ask a kid what they think of hitchhiking across the country at the age of 18 with nothing in their pockets but a couple dollars. I’m sure the rationale of that thought never even crosses their mind. Doing something rash like that is completely foreign to them.

Good point!

I live in a very expensive city and at some point I had to work insane hours 6 years ago. Now things are better and there is room to explore skillset and afford teachers in an area of interest.

This is a great privilege that I am aware of but the thing is, I mean it cant be super expensive in every place on earth. So perhaps you can get someone who has the time and energy to explore their curiosity.

Music is still very good but I find movies these days to be unwatchable. I watched a serial killer movie with the actor of Negan being the protagonist and the entire crew and storyline was so underwhelming and just plain uninterested in the roles.

I was expecting a great film but none of the actors had any passion and the storyline was just lazy and random.

Still, there was great movies, there was discussions based on understanding the opposing side as oppose to these flame wars that are going down on social media.

No one wants to learn industry trade secret. People seem to just want to argue about their view point. In 2000s, folks were looking to gain some advantage to be ahead of the rest but now it doesn't seem to be the case it seems.
It’s expensive where I live too. Im planing on moving in the next 6-12 somewhere less taxing.

I think that the high availability of information and the fact that we no longer even have to invest an effort to find it, or to do 1st order research, results in people feeling like they don't need to look for more information. Not only is it at our fingertips - we are being bombarded with it, and, because of the current prevailing internet business model of the main information vendors, we can all have our own sets of facts, corroborated by our massive echo chambers, which remove any feeling of need to double-check their veracity. I do feel that that tends to stunt real curiosity.

Caveat would be that under some combinations of circumstances and cultures, curiosity is higher or lower, often out of necessity. A simple example would be my preference to fix things in the US over throwing them out and buying new, borne of the fact that I was raised under the conditions in which buying new simply wasn't an option most of the time, so you had to figure out how shit worked

Last edited:
i dont know, i think im pretty curious about shit, not all shit certain shit, specific shit.

With Covid, it's suddenly shifted to other means.
I read a book on Pol Pot earlier this year and I was seriously considering going to Cambodia to see the Tuol Sleng museum and The Killing Fields, but then Covid hit and I was confined back into my house like everyone else.
So I satisfied my curiosity by watching more videos and documentaries on Pol Pot in the meantime.

I think this a double edged sword of the internet that nobody really mentions, now that you have all the information at your fingertips you don't really need to go to that many places anymore to find anything else.
If you wanted books to read or information for a project you went to the library, but now Wikipedia and The Pirate Bay fill that niche much better than any grey haired librarian ever could.
Similarly, if you wanted to watch the latest movie on DVD on Friday Night, you had to go and journey to blockbuster to rent it, but now you can do that with the internet instead.

cats are becoming more plentiful...so think about it... do the math

Also, imagination doesn't seem to be as common with kids these days. I've noticed toys aren't as common. Mostly electronic devices. The kids that have toys just collect them. They don't really play with them. I like to imagine bullshit scenarios at times for entertainment.

A while back, I got a hankering for Burger King onion rings. I know, they aren't all that great. There's just something about them that I like. As a bonus, it gives me epic gas. I decided to go to the location at a mall. The location closest to myself doesn't seem to ever have anyone there. There's always one car in the lot, and nobody inside. Once, I went in there and stood the the counter for a bit, so I decided to check my email. I got done with that and started to look around. I squinted and look into the kitchen. I saw someone peering from a corner. Welp, I wasn't going to play that game and left. Anyhow, the BK at the mall....

Right as I walked into the food court, there was an argument between two teenage girls. It was serious, because they were clapping out their syllables. I placed my order at the Burger King counter. Two large orders of onion rings. I heard a commotion and turned my back. It got physical and the two chicks were on the ground and the people around them started knocking over tables and chairs. Trays were being thrown in directions that didn't make sense. Just tossed randomly. I got my stuff and walked by this shitshow. As I got in the car, I thought to myself... I imaged being someone else and processing the situation in and entirely different way:

I imagined myself as "Adam". You see, Adam is a haughty, sexually ambiguous, middle-aged, upscale man. Adam has a very thin frame and is somewhat effeminate. Adam would be accompanied by "Walter", whom is of the same description.

Adam would be making his was past the food court, on his way to the Burberry store, when the scuffle ensues. Adam's wealth leaves him somewhat sheltered from the world around himself and therefore does not react well to situations such as this. Upon witness, he lets out an moan and faints, dropping his tote bag and damaging his expensive sunglasses. Walter has a bit more fortitude than Adam. His response is to rush to Adam's aide. Walter cradles Adams and fans him with his starched handkerchief. The handkerchief is fancy and expensive. Cheyenne witnesses the distress of the two from the window of a coffee shop.

Cheyenne is an upper class housewife that spends a few hours every two weeks at a food bank. I suppose good intentions are somewhere in there, but it's pretty obvious her actions are veiled and used as promotion among her circle of friends and those that follow her on social media.

Cheyenne springs into action. She abandons her coffee and a goes to purchase an overpriced bottle of Dasani from the barista. She is sure to make it known that she is making the purchase to aid Adam. The barista waives the charge to her. Cheyenne rushes to Adam and Walter. Falsely, she mentions that she purchased the water as a form of assistance. Walter is ever so thankful. He proceeds to open the bottle and pours some of the cool water on Adam's lips. Adam responds with weak moans and slightly opens his eyes. The emt's arrive. Rest assured, Adam makes a recovery with no ill effects.

Cheyenne proceeds to take a few snapshots so that she may post them on her social media site. She entails of her assistance to Adam and Walter. She thinks to herself, "You know what, Cheyenne? You deserve that bottle of Pinot Noir tonight!" She rewards herself often. Too often, if i may say. Her husband, Derrick, thinks so, too. In six months, he is going to leave her.

Also, imagination doesn't seem to be as common with kids these days. I've noticed toys aren't as common. Mostly electronic devices. The kids that have toys just collect them. They don't really play with them. I like to imagine bullshit scenarios at times for entertainment.

A while back, I got a hankering for Burger King onion rings. I know, they aren't all that great. There's just something about them that I like. As a bonus, it gives me epic gas. I decided to go to the location at a mall. The location closest to myself doesn't seem to ever have anyone there. There's always one car in the lot, and nobody inside. Once, I went in there and stood the the counter for a bit, so I decided to check my email. I got done with that and started to look around. I squinted and look into the kitchen. I saw someone peering from a corner. Welp, I wasn't going to play that game and left. Anyhow, the BK at the mall....

Right as I walked into the food court, there was an argument between two teenage girls. It was serious, because they were clapping out their syllables. I placed my order at the Burger King counter. Two large orders of onion rings. I heard a commotion and turned my back. It got physical and the two chicks were on the ground and the people around them started knocking over tables and chairs. Trays were being thrown in directions that didn't make sense. Just tossed randomly. I got my stuff and walked by this shitshow. As I got in the car, I thought to myself... I imaged being someone else and processing the situation in and entirely different way:

I imagined myself as "Adam". You see, Adam is a haughty, sexually ambiguous, middle-aged, upscale man. Adam has a very thin frame and is somewhat effeminate. Adam would be accompanied by "Walter", whom is of the same description.

Adam would be making his was past the food court, on his way to the Burberry store, when the scuffle ensues. Adam's wealth leaves him somewhat sheltered from the world around himself and therefore does not react well to situations such as this. Upon witness, he lets out an moan and faints, dropping his tote bag and damaging his expensive sunglasses. Walter has a bit more fortitude than Adam. His response is to rush to Adam's aide. Walter cradles Adams and fans him with his starched handkerchief. The handkerchief is fancy and expensive. Cheyenne witnesses the distress of the two from the window of a coffee shop.

Cheyenne is an upper class housewife that spends a few hours every two weeks at a food bank. I suppose good intentions are somewhere in there, but it's pretty obvious her actions are veiled and used as promotion among her circle of friends and those that follow her on social media.

Cheyenne springs into action. She abandons her coffee and a goes to purchase an overpriced bottle of Dasani from the barista. She is sure to make it known that she is making the purchase to aid Adam. The barista waives the charge to her. Cheyenne rushes to Adam and Walter. Falsely, she mentions that she purchased the water as a form of assistance. Walter is ever so thankful. He proceeds to open the bottle and pours some of the cool water on Adam's lips. Adam responds with weak moans and slightly opens his eyes. The emt's arrive. Rest assured, Adam makes a recovery with no ill effects.

Cheyenne proceeds to take a few snapshots so that she may post them on her social media site. She entails of her assistance to Adam and Walter. She thinks to herself, "You know what, Cheyenne? You deserve that bottle of Pinot Noir tonight!" She rewards herself often. Too often, if i may say. Her husband, Derrick, thinks so, too. In six months, he is going to leave her.
Wrong!

Burger King onion rings are awesome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back