Is Costa Philippou a top 10 middleweight?

Jake Shields did NOTHING to be #2 WW besides beat Hendo at MW. That was impressive, but has nothing to do with his standing at WW anymore after losses to GSP and Ellenberger. He should have never been #2 and never was #2 if I can recall correctly. Jake Shields is a great example, because he was a top 5 MW and can't break the top 10 in WW anymore.

Mike Swick is a top 10 WW? He just lost to Matt Brown. Maybe 3 years ago. Kampmann was #6, never made top 5. Close though. Maia is a top 10 WW I guess, I will give you that. Belfort has a huge * next to LHW champ because he won with a knuck to the eye and got DOGGED in the rematch. Marquardt is not a top 10 WW yet.

Shields did nothing to be a top WW?

other than go unbeaten for over 6 years and get wins over guys like Kampmann, Carlos Condit, Yushin Okami, and Paul Daley(though I don't think he's very good people like to mention how Diaz beat him and is thus a top WW so.....)

other than go unbeaten for over 6 years and get wins over guys like Kampmann, Carlos Condit, Yushin Okami, and Paul Daley(though I don't think he's very good people like to mention how Diaz beat him and is thus a top WW so.....)

Daley was reasonably ranked himself at some point, 7 or 8, beat Kampmann himself and made Diaz faceplant a couple of times. He's never been top dog, but he's always been a reasonably dangerous fighter. It's one of those names you see on fight records that in history will be seen as a "who the hell was that" kind of thing, but that betrays how dangerous he was in and on his day

Dan Henderson was a top ranked LHW that also found success at MW. Too bad he fights at LHW now and won't drop back down. The MW division needs him

Franklin has only won 1 fight at LHW in the last 4 years. He is no where near top 10 at LHW. His last LHW fight Forrest beat him.

Gegard Mousasi - Too bad he doesn't fight at MW. He is a good fighter but isn't Top 10 at LHW. Hopefully he works on his takedown defense.

Vitor Belfort - 1-6 in his last 7 LHW fights in UFC and Pride. Top 10 MW...can't get ranked at LHW anymore because he doesn't win when he fights there.

Michael Bisping - Never made it to top 10. Biggest career win at LHW was Elvis Sinosic (unless you count the joke of a decision against Hamil who wasn't even top 20)

Nate Marquardt - Was ranked at MW dropped down and is ranked at WW, Nothing odd here.

Jake Shields - Thank you for this example. Shields has had more recent success at MW than WW.

Demian Maia - Top 10 WW ....was a top 10 MW too.

Martin Kampann - Ranked at WW and was ranked at MW. Nothing odd here.

Mike Swick - Just lost to someone who wasn't top 30

I just corrected your many mistakes.

6 of the current top 10 MWs were former LHWs that weren't ranked when they dropped down. They found sucess in a very weak MW division and became ranked

Boetsch
Stann
Bisping
Sonnen
Vitor
Munoz

This has never happened in any other division. This is history folks.

Shoot....maybe Hamil should drop down to MW. He already beat 2 of the top 10 guys on that list.

Henderson is a natural MW who moved all the way up to hw(a whopping 207lbs). Besides he's had more success at LHW than MW lately.

Franklin was ranked top 10 LHW before and after being MW champion. Those are facts.

Gegard was a top 10 MW in 2009-2010 before becoming top 10 LHW and SF champion. Another fact.

Vitor still managed to get ranked at LHW for years and did the best against Jones.

If you're refusing to give credit to Bisping for his win over Hamill then you have to acknowledge he should have gotten the W over Rashad. Plus, Bisping did better at LHW than MW.

Anderson, Hendo, Rich, Mousasi, Vitor, Bisping, Marquardt, Shields, Maia, Kampann, and Swick were all part of the MW picture that you say was so lacking. Yet these same guys are just as good as the top 10 fighters in other divisions.

Plus, Munoz, Boetsch, and Stann have all been knocked back down to the lower end or completely out of the top 10. They were all overranked due to favorable match ups and several top 10 MWs leaving the division. Things are correcting themselves now.

Sonnen is really the only fighter you can argue 'failed' at another weight class who is a real top MW. Even then it took him about 4 or 5 years to get a title shot at MW and he's big as hell.

Jake Shields did NOTHING to be #2 WW besides beat Hendo at MW. That was impressive, but has nothing to do with his standing at WW anymore after losses to GSP and Ellenberger. He should have never been #2 and never was #2 if I can recall correctly. Jake Shields is a great example, because he was a top 5 MW and can't break the top 10 in WW anymore.

Mike Swick is a top 10 WW? He just lost to Matt Brown. Maybe 3 years ago. Kampmann was #6, never made top 5. Close though. Maia is a top 10 WW I guess, I will give you that. Belfort has a huge * next to LHW champ because he won with a knuck to the eye and got DOGGED in the rematch. Marquardt is not a top 10 WW yet.

Jake Shields was ranked top 10 WW for years and even made it onto the p4p list. Thats a fact despite how unimpressed you are with beating Carlos Condit, Martin Kampmann, Paul Daley, Nick Thompson, Hayato Sakurai, Akira Kikuchi, and Yushin Okami while winning the ROTR WW Tournament, the Shooto WW belt, and the Elite XC WW belt.

Swick was top 10 back in 08 or 09 after leaving the MW division. Marquardt was a top 10 WW years ago and he's shown up on a few rankings as of late.

Henderson is a natural MW who moved all the way up to hw(a whopping 207lbs). Besides he's had more success at LHW than MW lately.

Franklin was ranked top 10 LHW before and after being MW champion. Those are facts.

Gegard was a top 10 MW in 2009-2010 before becoming top 10 LHW and SF champion. Another fact.

Vitor still managed to get ranked at LHW for years and did the best against Jones.

If you're refusing to give credit to Bisping for his win over Hamill then you have to acknowledge he should have gotten the W over Rashad. Plus, Bisping did better at LHW than MW.

Anderson, Hendo, Rich, Mousasi, Vitor, Bisping, Marquardt, Shields, Maia, Kampann, and Swick were all part of the MW picture that you say was so lacking. Yet these same guys are just as good as the top 10 fighters in other divisions.

Plus, Munoz, Boetsch, and Stann have all been knocked back down to the lower end or completely out of the top 10. They were all overranked due to favorable match ups and several top 10 MWs leaving the division. Things are correcting themselves now.

Sonnen is really the only fighter you can argue 'failed' at another weight class who is a real top MW. Even then it took him about 4 or 5 years to get a title shot at MW and he's big as hell.

We are talking about current MWs.

You are living in the past talking about guys like Swick who was a top 10 MW and just lost to a top 50 WW. He is no where near top 10 at WW now.

Franklin is nowhere near top 10 at LHW and only has 1 win in that division in the last 4 years. He also is nearing the end of his career and is not a top 10 MW anymore.

Look at who Bisping beat at LHW....that is why he was never ranked. He fought mostly guys with 3-10 records. He has had more success at MW by far.

Henderson was a LHW long before he fought at MW. Too bad he doesn't fight at MW anymore because the division needs him big time.

I already debunked everything you posted. Go reread.

You haven't been watching MMA very long huh

We are talking about current MWs.

YOu are living in the past talking about guys like Swick who was a top 10 MW and just lost to a top 40 WW

Franklin is nowhere near top 10 at LHW and only has 1 win in that division in the last 4 years. He also is nearing the end of his career and is not a top 10 MW anymore.

Look at who Bisping beat at LHW....that is why he was never ranked. He fought mostly guys with 3-10 records. He has had more success at MW by far.

Henderson was a LHW long before he fought at MW. Too bad he doesn't fight at MW anymore because the division needs him big time.

I already debunked everything you posted. Go reread.

Henderson actually started out as a WW

He's in the third tier which may or may not be top 10 depending how a bunch of internet tards want to split hairs:

1st Tier: Silva

2nd Tier: credible challengers; Weidman, Rockhold, Bisping. Also even though Chael Sonnen is taking a fight at LHW and out of the MW title mix he's easily a top 5 MW, most people would put him 2nd or 3rd.

3rd Tier: guys who are at least 1 impressive win or 2 boring decisions away from a shot; Lombard, Okami, Munoz, Boetsch, Belcher, Vitor, Phllippou; maybe Jacare. I haven't seen much of Khalidov and obv not in ufc mix but some might say he's this quality of fighter.

So you can put him on the 6-10 side or the 11-14 side depending who's nuts you ride.

Bisping/Vitor is already in the cards. Most people think AS should fight Weidman since superfights aren't in the cards anytime soon. Other fights I'd want to watch:

Rockhold/Lombard
Okami/Philippou
Belcher/Boetsch
Munoz/Jacare (if Jacare gets past Ed Herman)

I punch my little brother in the face one time, and get ranked top 20 in middleweight division. True Story.

Lost when you said Nate isn't top 10 at WW.

Henderson actually started out as a WW

The Pride WW division was 183 lbs (83 kg). I believe Hendo competed at 82 kg in the Olympics and his MMA fights are all at that or higher.

I said he did nothing AT WW to be a top WW. I stand by that statment. He was never a top 5 WW.

Not really. Looks like Boetsch broke his hand dominating the first round then lost his sight due to eye poking.

Last edited:
You haven't been watching MMA very long huh… lol

I stand by that statement 100%. His biggest win at WW in terms of ranking was over Kampmann, who was probably ranked around 8-12 at the time. He beat Condit and Okami 6+ years ago. Condit would destroy Shields now. Shields is wonderful example of just how bad MW is.

Back