Is Costa Philippou a top 10 middleweight?

I had Lombard beating Tim in a close fight but he did come back against Okami (who is a constant top 10er)

Tim was actually ranked top 10 regardless of the Lombard win though. It just moved him up further.

I just wish the division was stronger because they have an awesome champ and most of the rest of the top MWs are guys that were not contenders at LHW before they dropped down. Sonnen was never even a top 10 LHW and he is the #2 MW.'

Pretty sad.

Anderson Silva - Top 5 LHW, #1 WW, Shooto WW Champ

Dan Henderson - #2 LHW, Pride MW Champ, SF LHW Champ

Rich Franklin - Top 10 LHW

Gegard Mousasi - Top 10 LHW, SF LHW Champ

Vitor Belfort - UFC LHW Champion, just snapped Jones arm

Michael Bisping - Top 20 LHW, TUF Champion, Cage Rage LHW Champion, 14-1 @ LHW

Nate Marquardt - Top 10 WW, SF WW Champ

Jake Shields - #2 WW

Demian Maia - Top 10 WW

Martin Kampann - Top 5 WW

Mike Swick - Top 10 WW

You've really got to stop pretending that MW's aren't as good as fighters in other divisions when they consistently do well in other divisions.

I am not taking sides, but Vitor won his LHW championship because of an eye poke (ironic huh?).

Beat me to it.

He already lost the argument but thank you for pointing that out.

Also, Vitor went 1-6 in the Pride and UFC LHW division after the fluke win.

Vitor is a good fighter though.

Out of the current 6 former midlevel LHWs that were unranked and dropped down and became top 10 at MW -----he is the best of the bunch and even he is only 1-6 out of his last 7 UFC and Pride LHW fights.

He beat Boetsch because he blinded him with an eyepoke I hardly consider it a real victory

If Bisping had beaten Boetsch, would Boetsch suddenly have dropped from the top ten?
(Yes)

Costa is ranked.

even if you want to take Boetsch out of the top 10......... there is no possible way you can even make an argument for Philippou to be in the top 10

He beat Boetsch because he blinded him with an eyepoke I hardly consider it a real victory

What's he supposed to do? It was a fucking accident. Then Boetsch doesn't take his 5 minutes and runs back out there half blind with a broken hand. Boetsch should have just took the NC and the UFC probably would have made a rematch like Wagner/Davis.

Beat me to it.

He already lost the argument but thank you for pointing that out.

Also, Vitor went 1-6 in the Pride and UFC LHW division after the fluke win.

Vitor is a good fighter though.

Out of the current 6 former midlevel LHWs that were unranked and dropped down and became top 10 at MW -----he is the best of the bunch and even he is only 1-6 out of his last 7 UFC and Pride LHW fights.

what you don't mention about his losses is that they are to

Randy Couture(arguably the best LHW ever)
Tito Ortiz(top 5 current best LHW ever)
Alistair Overeem(#2 HW...............#1 next year)
and Dan Henderson(#2 best MW ever..........currently #4 LHW)

so how does only losing to the best fighters in the world make you not top 10?

He definitely is now that Boetsch and Belcher both lost tonight. I'd put him on the same exact level as Brian Stann.

What's he supposed to do? It was a fucking accident. Then Boetsch doesn't take his 5 minutes and runs back out there half blind with a broken hand. Boetsch should have just took the NC and the UFC probably would have made a rematch like Wagner/Davis.

not criticizing Costa. Not his fault really. I just mean that it literally isn't a real victory. Its just another fighter trying to tough something out that gave left him with no fighting chance.

It's not Phillipous fault but he got very lucky.Tim bust his hand,got cut badly with a head but and got his eye poked badly.I think 8/10 times the barbarian beats him.

Anderson Silva - Top 5 LHW

Jake Shields - #2 WW

Demian Maia - Top 10 WW

Mike Swick - Top 10 WW

You've really got to stop pretending that MW's aren't as good as fighters in other divisions when they consistently do well in other divisions.

Dan Henderson was a top ranked LHW that also found success at MW. Too bad he fights at LHW now and won't drop back down. The MW division needs him

Franklin has only won 1 fight at LHW in the last 4 years. He is no where near top 10 at LHW. His last LHW fight Forrest beat him.

Gegard Mousasi - Too bad he doesn't fight at MW. He is a good fighter but isn't Top 10 at LHW. Hopefully he works on his takedown defense.

Vitor Belfort - 1-6 in his last 7 LHW fights in UFC and Pride. Top 10 MW...can't get ranked at LHW anymore because he doesn't win when he fights there.

Michael Bisping - Never made it to top 10. Biggest career win at LHW was Elvis Sinosic (unless you count the joke of a decision against Hamil who wasn't even top 20)

Nate Marquardt - Was ranked at MW dropped down and is ranked at WW, Nothing odd here.

Jake Shields - Thank you for this example. Shields has had more recent success at MW than WW.

Demian Maia - Top 10 WW ....was a top 10 MW too.

Martin Kampann - Ranked at WW and was ranked at MW. Nothing odd here.

Mike Swick - Just lost to someone who wasn't top 30

I just corrected your many mistakes.

6 of the current top 10 MWs were former LHWs that weren't ranked when they dropped down. They found sucess in a very weak MW division and became ranked

Boetsch
Stann
Bisping
Sonnen
Vitor
Munoz

This has never happened in any other division. This is history folks.

Shoot....maybe Hamil should drop down to MW. He already beat 2 of the top 10 guys on that list.

Anderson Silva - Top 5 LHW, #1 WW, Shooto WW Champ

Jake Shields - #2 WW

Demian Maia - Top 10 WW

Mike Swick - Top 10 WW

Jake Shields did NOTHING to be #2 WW besides beat Hendo at MW. That was impressive, but has nothing to do with his standing at WW anymore after losses to GSP and Ellenberger. He should have never been #2 and never was #2 if I can recall correctly. Jake Shields is a great example, because he was a top 5 MW and can't break the top 10 in WW anymore.

Mike Swick is a top 10 WW? He just lost to Matt Brown. Maybe 3 years ago. Kampmann was #6, never made top 5. Close though. Maia is a top 10 WW I guess, I will give you that. Belfort has a huge * next to LHW champ because he won with a knuck to the eye and got DOGGED in the rematch. Marquardt is not a top 10 WW yet.

He definitely is now that Boetsch and Belcher both lost tonight. I'd put him on the same exact level as Brian Stann.

how can you put him above guys like Le, Franklin, Jacare, Shields

Costa will probably get a title shot before Bisping does :)

even if you want to take Boetsch out of the top 10......... there is no possible way you can even make an argument for Philippou to be in the top 10

I don't necessarily want to take him out of the top ten but considering that MW is weak as witch piss and beating Mark Munoz means you're suddenly #1 contender, I don't think the top ten for MW is easily defined, meaningful or at all indicative of how good those fighters are. Same goes for Palhares. You beat him and suddenly you're being hyped for the belt. Belcher was never an elite MW either. There's only really a one and two, Silva and Sonnen, and the latter of those has left the division and arguably lost to Bisping who most people won't put in their top 10.

Jake Shields did NOTHING to be #2 WW besides beat Hendo at MW. That was impressive, but has nothing to do with his standing at WW anymore after losses to GSP and Ellenberger. He should have never been #2 and never was #2 if I can recall correctly. Jake Shields is a great example, because he was a top 5 MW and can't break the top 10 in WW anymore.

Mike Swick is a top 10 WW? He just lost to Matt Brown. Maybe 3 years ago. Kampmann was #6, never made top 5. Close though. Maia is a top 10 WW I guess, I will give you that. Belfort has a huge * next to LHW champ because he won with a knuck to the eye and got DOGGED in the rematch. Marquardt is not a top 10 WW yet.

The point that he is missing is that it is not rare for a ranked fighter to drop down and be ranked in the lighter division. (Maia for example) When a top 10 fighter drops to a new division he usually becomes a top 10 fighter in his new lighter division.

However,it is very rare for an unranked fighter to drop down and become ranked in their new division (esp 6 at once like in the MW division) (Current examples -Sonnen, Munoz, Bisping. Vitor, Boetsch, Stann) When a top 30 fighter drops down to his new division he usually stays round top 30 in his new division too. The weak MW division has shattered that trend.

To think Joseph Henley beat this guy on the fights to get into the TUF house.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back