Is Cormier busting the myth?

Who knows what was truly more of a factor, Gus being closer in size to Jones or being closer in age...

Always thought Jones had an unfair advantage because of his size and reach. The Gus fight kinda proved my point because he fought someone that's similar in size to him. That doesn't make him any less great than he is. Really good fighter, just doesn't get me excited like some others did in the past.
and if Cormier bullys them and beats them both up using his power game does that disprove your point as Cormier then clearly has an unfair advantage?

Or you in the camp that utilizing that body style (Fedor, Cain, Cormier) is skill while the lucky guys like Jones and Gus don't need skill due to their unfair advantage?

Height and reach are helpful but of course you can be successful without it. It didn't need Cormier to show it. Vovchanchyn, Monson in his early days, Fedor, Crocop, Rashad, Couture especially at HW, and many others proved it. And Shogun, Rampage, Belfort, Machida and many others are average at best for LHW, Yoel Romero, Johnny Hendricks, Thaigo Alves, Matt Hughes I could make an endless list of short successful fighters

Many here are acting like Jones doesn't have any strength, and are forgetting the mechanics of this mofo.

He's not some lanky ass Gumby. Part of what makes him freakishly unique is that most of his mass, strength, is in his upper body, comprised of fighter's muscle. Yes he has skinny legs, but then the length of these legs gives him leverage, which translates into strength. And let's remember that wingspan, which adds leverage to his considerable upperbody strength. This is what makes him a tough nut to crack.

Take it from any number of opponents Jones has beat. They all say he's strong as hell.

So let's stop with the pseudo-analysis that DC is the "strong one" and Jones is the "lanky" skinny ass weak one. That's a fantasy rationale to make DC the easy winner.

Jones is a great wrestler, especially for a taller lanky guy. That is why his reach advantage is significant. He is a better wrestler than the shorter more powerfully built guys in his weightclass. When he fights DC we will get to see if this is still true.

GSP was not overly tall but he had long arms/reach. He was also considered the best wrestler in his division for many years.

There are many guys in D1 wrestling that have a longer type build but for whatever reason most of the ones that transfer to MMA are of the short stocky variety.

Weidman is pretty tall and has a long reach (although I don't think anyone would say he is lanky)

Having a long reach is an advantage as long as you know how to use it. Being the better wrestler is also an advantage. If you have both, look out!

Jones is a great wrestler, especially for a taller lanky guy. That is why his reach advantage is significant. He is a better wrestler than the shorter more powerfully built guys in his weightclass. When he fights DC we will get to see if this is still true.

GSP was not overly tall but he had long arms/reach. He was also considered the best wrestler in his division for many years.

There are many guys in D1 wrestling that have a longer type build but for whatever reason most of the ones that transfer to MMA are of the short stocky variety.

Weidman is pretty tall and has a long reach (although I don't think anyone would say he is lanky)

Having a long reach is an advantage as long as you know how to use it. Being the better wrestler is also an advantage. If you have both, look out!

...as long as you have the skill to use it, it can be yes.

Just as having a shorter stalky and more powerful frame (Cain, Cormier, Fedor) can be an advantage if you have the skill to use it.

Historically, as you acknowledge it seems the stalky frames are the more successful.

When Jones beat a shorter guy and shorter length of reach, people be like
"Jones has reach advantage and too big."

When Gus hurt JOnes badly but lost, people be like
"Jones is beatable afterall."

When DC beat big slow HW guy like Bigfoot, people be like
"if he beat Bigfoot easily he would beat Jones easily."

When does those slow HW have skills like Jones and afst like Jones?

People be like
"DC will ragdoll Jones like a little kid."

So to me once Jones beat DC, DC hype will be derail and people will be like
"Jones too big for DC and have 12" reach and 6" height advantages."

DC will put a good fight, but Jones ain't no slope like DC past opponents."

If Jones is a slope, he wouldn't even be champ.
DC will be a good and tough fight for Jones but I see destruction from Jones like how he did to Reshad and Glover.

DC won't be able to outwrestle Jones when he couldn't even outwrestle Big Counter or Mir.

Overeem was way stronger than DC. He ragdoll Mir like it was nothing while DC struggle fence clinch to decision.

DC TKO coffee guy Cummins in one week notice, and DC ragdoll 199 pounds old slowpoke Hendo that was TRT-less and have 0 skill except h-bomb.
Really impressive ^_^

Back