Is Conor still capable of this kind of footwork

No. Conor is stuck in the mud now, that’s what age does to you. Also, he was a formidable fw but he is not a formidable lw. Who knows if he would have become one like Poirier did.

Poirier fought 15 times at lw and had to suffer a devastating loss to MJ to be where he’s at. Conor only fought 4 times at 155, that’s not enough.

Conor haters are stupid because they deny his great skills. Whether or not his body can hold up still is another matter.

He needs to go back to the way he used to train. He got rid of Ido because of the comments everyone was making. That was when he was training with Ido and practicing his traditional martial arts kicks. He also wasn't trying to KO/TKO fighters with one punch back then like he is now. He shifted his training and striking style to a power punching style that doesn't suit him. He was never really a one punch power puncher, he would get TKOs after rounds of landing over and over again and he would eventually get the finish. Once he started training like a one punch KO artist that is when you saw the biggest shift in his fighting style. He became flat footed and abandoned his footwork and tried to walk fighters down instead of using footwork/movement to counter strike. That's also when he stopped getting KOs/TKOs because that's not how he was getting them in his previous fights.

Also his slow footwork/movement is mainly because he stopped working his footwork movement and switched to a stationary walk-em down style after Floyd used that on him in their boxing fight. It doesn't suit Conor's fighting style because he lacks an inside boxing game, that's why Floyd used that style against him. Conor tries to use it but he is a euro style counter puncher, that's his boxing style and it doesn't work well trying to walk fighters down because Conor will always stop mid range and wait for something to counter, that's why he was always in range to get kicked by Poirer. If you are trying to walk fighters down you need to be able to lead and you need to be able to fight in the pocket, you can't always stop mid range and wait for something to counter.

Also he focused more on muscle instead of speed/movement/footwork. That's one of the main reasons his footwork is completely different. His focus on muscle drastically slowed his legs and he doesn't move around the same anymore. He isn't able to do the bounce he used to do because those require different muscles to perform. He focused too much on slow twitch muscles with his legs and his legs loss their speed and explosiveness.
I think everyone would love to see Ido back. Touchbutt Conor is unstoppable <GinJuice>

Edit to add: After much thought, Joshua Fabia should be brought in to Conor's camp as well. The mma world isn't ready for the trifecta of destruction. The perfect storm some might call it

Last edited:
Take a look at Conor's debut. The footwork, the combinations, the speed. He had it all. I wonder if he's still capable of this kind of performance, especially the movement aspect of it.

Nowadays he's a flatfooted boxer, plodding forward looking only to land punches to the head. To use Conor's phrase, he's now "stuck in the mud".

Let's start moving those feet again Conor, and some combinations would be nice too.

Honestly you see all the same weaknesses here that eventually caught up with him vs Dustin.

Footwork espeically is quite limited to forward/backwards with very little lateral movement and the stance is wide with planted feet vunerable to lowkicks.

Conor has maybe dropped off a little but I think mostly whats happened is opponents have figured out his quite narrow game.

He was fighting a 5’3” man .. anyhow Marcus Brimage is now 7-7 and is fighting next weekend
Yeah let’s have a bit of perspective here. Conor is levels above Brimage and bigger. We could pick any top level fighter and show an early domination from their career, bit different when you’re fighter ranked contenders. He’s probably still capable of making Brimage look less than average, can’t do that to the likes of Dustin.

Yeah all those exciting fights and KOs really ruined MMA

And no. He's become flat flooted and stiff. All those lower leg injuries have taken their toll.
Truth hurts. Cry some more about it.

Yeah let’s have a bit of perspective here. Conor is levels above Brimage and bigger. We could pick any top level fighter and show an early domination from their career, bit different when you’re fighter ranked contenders. He’s probably still capable of making Brimage look less than average, can’t do that to the likes of Dustin.

Has nothing to do with opponent. It's about his movement. He just doesn't move like that anymore. Or counter. Can't move in an out.

Maybe after Nate he thought moving like this was inefficient, especially at higher weights. Against Eddie he was flat footed. I think he may have fallen in love with his performance against Eddie and just worked towards getting better at that approach. However, better fighters don't leap in straight lines like brimage and Alvarez. Conors style won't work on people taking angles or throwing punches from not a mile away.

Has nothing to do with opponent. It's about his movement. He just doesn't move like that anymore. Or counter. Can't move in an out.
Agree to disagree, I don’t think he’s capable of looking that good against a top tier opponent.

Name all the boring Conor McGregor fights.

Go ahead
I'm not talking about fights being exciting or not, I'm talking about how he started a crap ass era where. Case in point, you are being pissy and have a problem that I brought it up. Name all the times he's fought since 2016, 4 or 5 times while keeping the most stacked division stagnant? Yeah, keep defending him :rolleyes:

No, he is an old 32 year old in MMA years. He didn't preserve and take care of his body. MMA is already brutal on the body, drugs and alcohol is going to expedite the aging process

Was this all that impressive relative to other Conor performances? Tiny rock-em sock-em Brimage managed to tag him clean at least twice.

Take a look at Conor's debut. The footwork, the combinations, the speed. He had it all. I wonder if he's still capable of this kind of performance, especially the movement aspect of it.

Nowadays he's a flatfooted boxer, plodding forward looking only to land punches to the head. To use Conor's phrase, he's now "stuck in the mud".

Let's start moving those feet again Conor, and some combinations would be nice too.

His boxing regressed tremendously indeed.
But it's getting boring to shit on Conor. The topic bores me tbh. I wish we could just stop talking about him for a year, until he comes for his next pay check.

he's put on a fair amount of muscle right around the same time he became obsessed with boxing training.

Back