is competing in MMA fun?

Join a gym and give it a go. It's pretty scary the first time sparring but you'll have a load of adrenaline and feel like "that wasn't so bad" afterwards.

That is of course, if you don't spar me. I'd touch you with the jab

like every sport especially with combat sports its pretty simple. winning is fun, losing is terrible. you can go into mma at 48 and have fun training and sparring. but at 48 i would not recommend competing with young fighters.

Depends if you win or not.

Getting hulk smashed = not fun
Hulk smashing = fun

I started watching MMA one year ago, at age 48. It almost made me want to train, but on balance, and despite my low fight mileage (I have taken 3 punches total in my life), I decided that 48 is not the right age to take up the sport.

But I’m still curious. Is cage fighting actually FUN to do? Like say, snowboarding, where you start doing it and within a few days you are screaming “F Yeah!! This is awesome!!”

?
Chael Sonnen said it is not fun & it is very, very hard.

If u can evade all punches and strikes, not get submitted, and stay in dominant postion all the time. Than yes.

Fuck no. It would take me months or years to get over getting punched in the face.
giphy.gif

Learning, improving, playing around, sparring and even training hard. All of that is fun indeed. Personally I love sparring, you're completely in "the zone". However, I wouldn't call fighting, or competition, fun per se. The zone thing still applies when the bell rings, but up untill that point it's pretty excruciating and nerve-racking. Also, it's a brutal sport, and you will get hurt in there. That's just the way it goes.

I started watching MMA one year ago, at age 48. It almost made me want to train, but on balance, and despite my low fight mileage (I have taken 3 punches total in my life), I decided that 48 is not the right age to take up the sport.

But I’m still curious. Is cage fighting actually FUN to do? Like say, snowboarding, where you start doing it and within a few days you are screaming “F Yeah!! This is awesome!!”

?
Fought several times as an amateur. The actual in-the-cage fighting was fun for me, and definitely makes for some good stories, but the weight cut and trying to fit several hours of training around your work schedule is absolute hell. That's not even going into into the managerial side of it. Trying to find fights that are fair (a lot of local/ regional promoters have no problem throwing a guy with an even or losing record against an undefeated beast), having to deal with opponents constantly dropping out, and no real penalties for amateurs not making weight. Fought a dude who weighed in 12 lbs over. Promoter pretty much said there was nothing he could do about it, fight him or don't.

Yes. I had some amateur fights and trained for quite a few years. I haven’t trained in a few years though since I had my son.

I personally find Jui Jitsu to be the most fun of the disciplines though. Striking is fun, but you end up with a lot more bruises and bumps than grappling obviously.

I’ve had an amateur fight and it was no fun at all, dislocated my shoulder and felt embarrassed as the crowd booed me lol.

I’ve had an amateur fight and it was no fun at all, dislocated my shoulder and felt embarrassed as the crowd booed me lol.
Fuck the crowd tbh. Most of them would never have the balls to step in that cage. It takes a special kind of courage.

On top of that the anxiety before fights is excruciating

Never done mma, but making a guy tap out is a power trip. I gotta imagine a fight is that x10

I’ve never competed but I trained with guys who do. Winning is fun. The training and prep sucks. Losing really sucks

Training is fun. Sparring and rolling is fun. Actually fighting is just... Intense. Idk if it's "fun" but winning is immensely satisfying.

Getting paid pennies for CTE doesn’t sound like fun... but if you have a micro penis and need to out-alpha as many dudes as possible, you might enjoy it

Well, I got a few amateur MT fights under my belt, and fun is not how I would describe it.

Exhilarating, rewarding - sure.

Though getting your ass beat in a fight is none of those things.

If you like fighting its fun, obvious as it sounds

Back