Is competing at Masters divisions laughed at?

Evenflow80

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Had a couple of guys told me they don't compete because they would compete at Masters divisions and Adults is the only one that counts. They told me I can still compete at Adults if I want (even though I'm 36). I didnt know that last part and though it was mandatory I compete at Masters 2

Anyone here 35-40 who tried competing at Adult divisions? How was it?

I do quite well at my gym with younger guys in their 20s (basically 90% of the people there), but from competing I know its a whole different beast.

Hell no.

When it comes to IBJJF World titles, I think everyone realizes that the black belt Adult division (18-29) is the one that's considered the true 'world championship' for men and women, but Masters divisions are great for those of us older 30, and even then there's no guarantee that it's easier. When I did Master Worlds guys like Lovato Jr, Xande, and Clark Gracie were in there, to name just a few.

Sometimes at smaller tournaments I have to compete at adult to get matches because there are less upper belts that are also over 30.

No one should be giving you shit for competing in your age bracket if you want to.

That's a new one for me. Plenty of tough people at masters.

And what does even mean "adults is the only one that counts".. unless you are some pro guy who's trying to make a name for himself it doesn't make any sense. We compete to test ourselves against our level of competition. What if I'm on vacation and I want to do the Worlds or Europeans.. why at 33 I would want to compete with 20 year something athletes that do this three times a day everyday? What do I get from getting smashed in 1 minute?

Sorry, but this guys that told you that sound full of shit from your words.. they do not compete and yet they are telling you where and how you should because otherwise it is less of an achievement.. it seems more to me that they are making excuses to not compete themselves..

Moral of the story? Do masters. I assure you more people would laugh at that guys for saying this stuff than for you joining your proper age division.

The way I view it- for worlds, big time competitions, etc- adult basically = "pro". So if you are not training at that level, good luck.

For smaller, local comps- I'd look at your training and goals. If you are trying to viewed as a top flight competitor in your area, for either school or personal glory- then you need to sign up for Adult divisions.

If you are 36 with kids and train 2-3 times per week on a good week- go against other people who are in a similar situation in the Masters Division.

Discounting a division is just jealous "hater" speech. Divisions exist to create fair matches / competition. If you are in the accurate division - then you shouldn't worry about it at all. I'm almost 40 - the last time I did adult was against a guy who was 15 years younger, training 2x a day, etc. I was up the night before with a sick kid, lol. He'd of won anyway, so no excuses- just that it wasn't the type of matchup I should have had. I've only done Master's since and had much more level matchups (still lose my share, but no big deal).

I don't know how a sport that cares so much about titles won by relative novices (blue belt world titles, for instance) would discount titles won by older guys. The titles don't mean as much for sure, but that doesn't mean they mean nothing or they're worthless. The average BB Masters Worlds medalist is still a very accomplished and dangerous competitor that would school most hobbyist BBs. The only caveat I'd have is that if you win Masters titles you need to represent them as such, but that's not different than saying blue belts who win Mundials should be very clear they're world champions at a lower belt rank and are not really 'the' world champion.

Sounds like an excuse for them not wanting to compete. Honestly if I was older or got into the sport later I would definitely be doing masters

I'm 28 myself so still a few years away but I plan to never compete in masters but I understand people who want to have easier competition just like it made sense for me to fight other white belts as a white belt.
All the insanely roided out guys who compete in master divisions are absolute bitches tho.

Last edited:
On the local scene, which for most of us hobbyist will be the only level that we will ever see, it's just another way to have a good time competing. The last comp I went to, my weight class was the only one that didn't have a master division (too few people in the bracket) but I watched a lot of the master division matches and they were just as skilled, the mood was a little less overhyped, but in the end, most of the time the winner would have been one of the top in the ''normal'' division.

Anyway it's a local competition, you're never the best in town when you win those events, you're the best that had time to come this day, at that location and who was willing to pay for the entry fee.

On the international scene, it's just fun to see older guys, former legends or people that spend most of their time running schools or affilitions compete

My gym is Nova Uniao and last year Wagnney Fabiano, the head of NU Canada, won is division at masters, we were all very proud of that accomplishment, the guy runs is own gym, he organizes training camps for us, he manages the affiliation for all the country and he still managed to get that title.

Fuck those guys. You do what you want to do. I’m 43 and I’ll compete in my age bracket. Fuck trying to compete against some 20 year old that has been training since he was 7 years old 3 times a day. There is no way I can keep up with that. I’ll lose in 30 seconds.

Judo's masters division at some comps is a mixed bag of noob out of shape dad's trying for the first time, a BJJ Purp, and a former member of some Eastern Euro national team.

I'm 28 myself so still a few years away but I plan to never compete in masters but I understand people who want to have easier competition just like it made sense for me to fight other white belts as a white belt.
All the insanely roided out guys who compete in master divisions are absolute bitches tho.

This here is just a whole lot of stupid.
Want easier competition? I train with 20 somethings every day. At Master's you have tough guys! In addition, they have REAL jobs and REAL families and still have to make the time to train. And dial it up to 11 to prepare for that tournament.

I competed at Masters Worlds 2 years ago and the guys were the toughest I faced.
Bro, we don't recover like the young guys do.

Those competing at Masters are NOT looking for easier competition. They're competing against on a level playing field.

Really, compete against a dude half my age, is training when I'm walking into the office, then while I'm eating lunch and then when I'm walking into the academy? That would be a waste of an entrance fee.

Just sit down. Grown Folks are talking.

OP, those guys that tell you that Masters doesn't matter are just trying to shit on your parade.

well masters has changed i remember masters divisions being 40 and above then all sudden ti started at 30 im 27 and i wouldnt do it unless im late 30s i know a guy who claims to be a world champ who does cross fit daily roids at 31 and goes in beating up guys in the hw division with no technique really at black belt i personally think masters should be for casuals who dont train super hard to go have fun not guys who barely make the age list but train 2 times a day ect

Those competing at Masters are NOT looking for easier competition. They're competing against on a level playing field.

You are being contradictory.

OP, those guys that tell you that Masters doesn't matter are just trying to shit on your parade.

Obviously the competition can matter to the people competing, but it doesn't matter to me at all, that's why I will compete adult as long as I can or just stop.
You can do whatever you want it's your money.
It just get super silly when people on steroids fight in masters.
I fought a national purple belt masters champions once he just had insane strength and the skills of a crappy white belt.

I respect the masters division but by no means does it interest tbh

You are being contradictory.

Obviously the competition can matter to the people competing, but it doesn't matter to me at all, that's why I will compete adult as long as I can or just stop.
You can do whatever you want it's your money.
It just get super silly when people on steroids fight in masters.
I fought a national purple belt masters champions once he just had insane strength and the skills of a crappy white belt.

I think we're saying the same thing. We both want a level playing field. I'm talking about age and you're talking about ROIDS.

I know a Master's Blue Belt competitor at a gym just down the road that is juiced to the gills.

At Masters, there might be some guys on TRT but it's not like the lower belts aren't on the Bomba either.

I could say the same thing about you, you want easier (no ROIDS) matches.

Go tell Xande and Saul or megaton that masters are a joke. Lol. Kids nowadays

Ok here's the deal :

The 2 people that said that to me are older visiting purple belts from Brazil. The older one sucks and when we rolled he was exhausted and I got every imaginable position on his possible. The next day our professor told me he should be a white belt.

Anyways those two told me that because I had just medaled at the local ibjjf open and medaled on 3 other comps ( including 2 gold) but at masters.

I personally did think it was a petty thing to say and like a lot of you are saying I thought it was more as an excuse and to lessen my achievement. They are older and higher ranked and old friends of my professor so didn't say anything.

Hell no.

When it comes to IBJJF World titles, I think everyone realizes that the black belt Adult division (18-29) is the one that's considered the true 'world championship' for men and women, but Masters divisions are great for those of us older 30, and even then there's no guarantee that it's easier. When I did Master Worlds guys like Lovato Jr, Xande, and Clark Gracie were in there, to name just a few.

Sometimes at smaller tournaments I have to compete at adult to get matches because there are less upper belts that are also over 30.

No one should be giving you shit for competing in your age bracket if you want to.

Nice. Ever competed against those big names? I think I'd be star struck haha

im 33, 34 in october and ive never competed in masters

for me personally its probably because while i feel out of shape, i dont really feel like ive lost a step

the other thing is, do you want to go home with almost a guaranteed medal, or are you looking for the hardest matches you can get?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back