Is Charles Olivieira underrated by the Ufc and the fans

No he is not underrated. He would get demolished by the top 4 fighters.

When you look at who he fought, the streak is less impressive.

Guida: 5-6 in last 11.
Giagos: UFC debut, was 15-6 outside the UFC.
Miller: 1-4 in last 5.
Teymur: Only has 9 fights total and comes from a Muay Thai background.
Lentz: 6-4 in last 10.
Gordon: 1-2 in last 3.
Lee: 2-3 in last 5.

I think he's rated pretty fairly. He's had opportunities in the past against higher level fighters and always came up short. Also missed weight repeatedly at FW. Having said that, he seems to have reached a new level at LW now that he's not longer cutting as much weight, and his striking has improved significantly. He's always entertaining to watch and I'm excited to see how he looks in his next fight against a high level opponent.

Yes. He gets more credit here than other places but overall he’s underrated by the UFC and the fan base I feel.

See I agree with you but it’s the names on that list that make me think he’s underrated by the UFC. How many scrubs does the guy need to beat before he gets more than a washed up Kevin Lee as an opponent?

It's hard to rate him high when he tapped to strikes against Felder not that long ago. The ref didn't see him tap and he ate about 6 unnecessary elbows.
tumblr_p0g509RRSk1rofocqo9_250.gifv

Reactions: 2EZ
He's historically been on the mentally week side as far as a top 20 fighter is concerned. He's looked pretty great lately but it seems like that if a fighter gives him some trouble, he breaks. In his recent run, has he overcome some adversity? If he has, I think he's a big threat, if he hasn't, he'll get smoked soon.

why don't you just list everyone's last 10?

He's just rated. Not over not under. Just rated.

Everyone knows he's good, no one knows how good. Because Lee is his best win.

He looks better than ever. But unlike, say, Hooker, he hasn't been tested at LW yet.

Most everyone has him ranked at #5-#8. We will know more when he fights another top 10. Of course if he beats Poirier, Ferguson or Gaethje, we know exactly where he stands. If he beats Felder or Hooker, he's probably still at #5.

Last edited:
Yes. His BJJ is awesome and his striking has improved a lot. Charles always looks to finish and has been caught before because of that. I could see him become Champ at some point.

He's looked a lot better recently, seems to have shored up his stand-up offense/defense and shown he can actually comeback from getting hurt.

That being said, his best win is Kevin Lee - every time he had a "contender's match" he got embarrassed (delayed KO reaction to Cub Swanson overhand, weird early clavicle? injury against Holloway, submitted back-to-back by Pettis & Lamas, tapping to strikes against Felder and getting TKO'd because the ref missed it).

He got thrown to the wolves early in his career so it's great to see him bouncing back, but he legit needs to get a quality top 5 win before I have faith in him.

Would love to see him fight Dan Hooker next!

He needs a real test. He signed to fight Dariush that's a great test I still want to see that fight.

His losses and perpetual weigh missing is still fresh in peoples' minds. He does look night and day butter now, but I still have the visual of Felder just walking through him. And the streak - while admirable - those names can't be compared to the TOP 5-10.

I wish him the best, though, and it's awesome that he's found his groove. I'd like to see him vs Tony, for the zhoo zhits battle.

That's who I wanted to see in there with Khabib, Gaethje has no ground game.

I think he's rated pretty fairly. He's had opportunities in the past against higher level fighters and always came up short. Also missed weight repeatedly at FW. Having said that, he seems to have reached a new level at LW now that he's not longer cutting as much weight, and his striking has improved significantly. He's always entertaining to watch and I'm excited to see how he looks in his next fight against a high level opponent.

This. Everytime people criticize Oliveira, it's always referencing his FW fights. Since coming back to LW, he looks like a monster, and since he's now 31 years old, he's in his prime.

Racism. MMA is 100% a white man's sport.

It's hard to rate him high when he tapped to strikes against Felder not that long ago. The ref didn't see him tap and he ate about 6 unnecessary elbows.
tumblr_p0g509RRSk1rofocqo9_250.gifv

Dont shit on him. He taps even before Felder lands those elbows

Back