Is Charles Olivieira underrated by the Ufc and the fans

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by champbless2, Nov 4, 2020.

1. champbless2 Seraldo Babalu

Guy is legit, ridinng a 7 fight winning streak and last win is over Fighter Kevin Lee and yet somehow it seems no one is mentioning him no where

2. Krixes The Undefeated Gaul Platinum Member

It's because everytime he's faced a top guy he's lost. His best win on that run was Kevin Lee, and Lee isn't that good. Before that he got TKO'd by Felder, and choked out by Pettis, and Lamas.

3. Repusman Blue Belt

No he is not underrated. He would get demolished by the top 4 fighters.

4. acannxr Black Belt

When you look at who he fought, the streak is less impressive.

Guida: 5-6 in last 11.
    Giagos: UFC debut, was 15-6 outside the UFC.
    Miller: 1-4 in last 5.
    Teymur: Only has 9 fights total and comes from a Muay Thai background.
    Lentz: 6-4 in last 10.
    Gordon: 1-2 in last 3.
    Lee: 2-3 in last 5.

5. DS66 Brown Belt

I think he's rated pretty fairly. He's had opportunities in the past against higher level fighters and always came up short. Also missed weight repeatedly at FW. Having said that, he seems to have reached a new level at LW now that he's not longer cutting as much weight, and his striking has improved significantly. He's always entertaining to watch and I'm excited to see how he looks in his next fight against a high level opponent.

Kingofthestreets, G10 and Lord Grey like this.
  6. ch1584 Green Belt

Yes. He gets more credit here than other places but overall he’s underrated by the UFC and the fan base I feel.

7. ch1584 Green Belt

See I agree with you but it’s the names on that list that make me think he’s underrated by the UFC. How many scrubs does the guy need to beat before he gets more than a washed up Kevin Lee as an opponent?

PharoahHeight likes this.
  8. Genisys Purple Belt

It's hard to rate him high when he tapped to strikes against Felder not that long ago. The ref didn't see him tap and he ate about 6 unnecessary elbows.
    [​IMG]

2EZ likes this.
  9. chitoortiz Gold Belt

He chokes in big fights.

10. Vivavivanco White Belt

He's historically been on the mentally week side as far as a top 20 fighter is concerned. He's looked pretty great lately but it seems like that if a fighter gives him some trouble, he breaks. In his recent run, has he overcome some adversity? If he has, I think he's a big threat, if he hasn't, he'll get smoked soon.

11. Tex24 Yellow Belt

why don't you just list everyone's last 10?

Andreh likes this.
  12. SeattleFightFan Steel Belt

He's just rated. Not over not under. Just rated.

Everyone knows he's good, no one knows how good. Because Lee is his best win.

He looks better than ever. But unlike, say, Hooker, he hasn't been tested at LW yet.

Most everyone has him ranked at #5-#8. We will know more when he fights another top 10. Of course if he beats Poirier, Ferguson or Gaethje, we know exactly where he stands. If he beats Felder or Hooker, he's probably still at #5.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  13. Anaconda99 Brown Belt

Yes. His BJJ is awesome and his striking has improved a lot. Charles always looks to finish and has been caught before because of that. I could see him become Champ at some point.

Lucaspmc likes this.
  14. TheMMAnalyst Purple Belt

He's looked a lot better recently, seems to have shored up his stand-up offense/defense and shown he can actually comeback from getting hurt.

That being said, his best win is Kevin Lee - every time he had a "contender's match" he got embarrassed (delayed KO reaction to Cub Swanson overhand, weird early clavicle? injury against Holloway, submitted back-to-back by Pettis & Lamas, tapping to strikes against Felder and getting TKO'd because the ref missed it).

He got thrown to the wolves early in his career so it's great to see him bouncing back, but he legit needs to get a quality top 5 win before I have faith in him.

Would love to see him fight Dan Hooker next!

Gregoire1 likes this.
  15. Joinho10 Green Belt

He needs a real test. He signed to fight Dariush that's a great test I still want to see that fight.

16. Herwald Black Belt

His losses and perpetual weigh missing is still fresh in peoples' minds. He does look night and day butter now, but I still have the visual of Felder just walking through him. And the streak - while admirable - those names can't be compared to the TOP 5-10.

I wish him the best, though, and it's awesome that he's found his groove. I'd like to see him vs Tony, for the zhoo zhits battle.

17. FlyingDeathKick Silver Belt

That's who I wanted to see in there with Khabib, Gaethje has no ground game.

18. G10 Orange Belt

This. Everytime people criticize Oliveira, it's always referencing his FW fights. Since coming back to LW, he looks like a monster, and since he's now 31 years old, he's in his prime.

Conor_Is_Overrated likes this.
  19. Huligani Number One Bullshit

Racism. MMA is 100% a white man's sport.

20. Fedor_Silva Chicken hunter / mdfc fat champ

Dont shit on him. He taps even before Felder lands those elbows