Is Cerrone another Faber?

Bitchka

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I know Cerrone is in his early 30s but still, he does seem to choke on the big stage. I don't feel he will ever get past Maia, Lawler and possibly the loser of the Thompson vs Woodley fight.

I feel he is the perfect foil for McGregor's style if he ever makes it down to lightweight again

Yes. Great fighter who will never get a belt. And he already lost 3 title fights.

If by Faber you mean former champion with 5 defenses no he's not. You're a shitty new fan who doesn't know about fabers success.

If by Faber you mean former champion with 5 defenses no he's not. You're a shitty new fan who doesn't know about fabers success.

You seemed to have missed the boat on this one. The is a "UFC" Discussion Forum

I know Cerrone is in his early 30s but still, he does seem to choke on the big stage. I don't feel he will ever get past Maia, Lawler and possibly the loser of the Thompson vs Woodley fight.

I feel he is the perfect foil for McGregor's style if he ever makes it down to lightweight again
You're saying Faber chokes, when in reality maybe he's just not better than those other guys.

It's not that he jokes, he just isn't good or well-rounded enough.

Not hating the guy, he is exciting and he got a lot of skills, but his relative lack of grappling and also his reliance on his chin sometimes will only get him to the doorstep of the top 5, not inside of it.

We'll see he's on a tear. If he cant do it now, he never will - had his chances at LW. WW is his last shot.

lol At the idea of Faber being a choker.

You're right about this - but we can still compare them based on basically beating everyone except the most important one, if you know what I mean.

Faber would only lose title fights (besides the Rivera fight) whereas Cerrone would lose a title eliminator or the title fight, but there are similarities still.

If Cerrone wins another 2 fights I think he'll get a title shot but if he loses the title fight, it makes him a lot like Faber based on basically beating everybody except the champ.

Faber doesn't choke in big fights like Cerrone has 'cause he's been a champ before by beating the best, but he can't seem to beat the champ nowadays or when Aldo has the belt in WEC, if Cerrone gets a title shot and loses then he's very similar to Faber in that sense. They're similar but very different at the same time.

Faber got his legs torn apart by aldo for 5rds. Faber fought Mike Brown with just elbows after breaking both hands. Faber defended his belt 5x. It's a massive insult to call him a choker or put him in the same category as cerrone.

And I'm a Cruz fan

You're right about this - but we can still compare them based on basically beating everyone except the most important one, if you know what I mean.

Faber would only lose title fights (besides the Rivera fight) whereas Cerrone would lose a title eliminator or the title fight, but there are similarities still.

If Cerrone wins another 2 fights I think he'll get a title shot but if he loses the title fight, it makes him a lot like Faber based on basically beating everybody except the champ.

I don't disagree with comparing their respective accomplishments, but the premise of the thread is based upon choking on the big stage. Faber was a number 1 guy, that then subsequently became a top 2-3 guy at 145 and 135. And while Alpha male is fond of choke-submissions, Faber couldn't be further from someone that doesn't perform on the big-stage.

Cerrone though, has shown on occasion, that he is prone to letting people into his head...and losing winnable fights because of it. He looks excellent at 170, and seemingly has his head in the game for the time being, but I expect he'll hit the ceiling here shortly. I think he is legitimately a top 5 guy, when he is on, at 155 and likely 170.

So, choking aside, there is still a bit of a talent gap between them imo.

Don't think Faber choked, think he was just always against a better fighter

Faber was the best Featherweight at one point in time, I hate this whole "he didn't win a UFC belt".

WEC was the UFC, essentially. Faber reached the pinnacle and to me is the second best Featherweight of all-time.

Donald is a bridesmaid, and not the bride - but is still a fantastic fighter.

Don't think Faber choked, think he was just always against a better fighter
Except for when he was a world champion with multiple defenses.

Gosh, people just don't do their research.

My comment is directed at you, it's directed at the narrative that Faber was never a champion, it's nonsense.

{<buffer}

THE CALIFORNIAN COWBOY!!!!!!!!!!

When he was in his twenties, Faber defended the very same featherweight belt that Aldo now holds five times. At that time, the WEC featured the best talent in the smaller weight classes.

To suggest that Faber never could win the big fight is nonsense.

Faber was a dominant champion with five defenses. He's the second best featherweight of all time behind Aldo.

Back