Is Catalina Island worth it?

HB is a nice, wealthy, white neighborhood. LB has some...decent parts to it I guess but it's pretty fucking ratchet.

So why is someone saying people get their cars jacked in Huntington Beach? Are cholos coming in from elsewhere?

huntington beach is not like newport but its safer than long beach. small amount of hobos and winos. still a great place.

North and east Long Beach can be bad. South is middle class and west is wealthy (Belmont Shores and Belmont Heights).

They've got a great wine mixer from what I've heard.
this is in September it became a real thing after the movie. But it sounds lame from what people have said and costs 400 dollars not including hotel Nd boat or helo.

HB is a nice, wealthy, white neighborhood. LB has some...decent parts to it I guess but it's pretty fucking ratchet.
yup downtown lb is pretty wack i'm a long beachian and I rather hang out in santA monica pasadena or the south bay. shoreline is the only fun thing in downtown lb the restaurants and bars suck and they are built right next to the ghetto.

North and east Long Beach can be bad. South is middle class and west is wealthy (Belmont Shores and Belmont Heights).
right next to belmont shore is ghetto anything north of 5th street .

catalina is fun just crazy overpriced the queen marry is also really over priced.

Huntington Beach is like some shit outta the movies for a boy from Montana. I was in awe the whole time. Good food, unreal ladies.
I like the wedge or dana point better they are down pch. HB has a lot of bros and some skin head gangs people starting fights.

right next to belmont shore is ghetto anything north of 5th street .
econo-lodge-long-beach-map.gif

Everything along the coast is nice. I think you are talking more the places above where the map says "downtown long beach" and "poly" and "Wrigley."

econo-lodge-long-beach-map.gif

Everything along the coast is nice. I think you are talking more the places above where the map says "downtown long beach" and "poly" and "Wrigley."
north of 5th street is ghetto from west to east for 10 miles until the traffic circle or Cambodian town. it has major street gangs everything south of 5th street is nice and gentrified if you take a bike ride down orange ave from downtown to about williow st you will see the houses go from 1 million dollars into burglar barred apts. if you also walk north of 5th street on pine until Anaheim it will get worse.

catalina is fun just crazy overpriced the queen marry is also really over priced.

Yeh I saw that boat. It is a hotel now right?

Thing is I was staying in Dana Point in south OC. But the ferries from Dana Point were booked like a week in advance so I had to take the LB ferry. Had to get up early in the morning on Wednesday drive up to LB. Traffic was not that bad though.

north of 5th street is ghetto from west to east for 10 miles until the traffic circle or Cambodian town. it has major street gangs everything south of 5th street is nice and gentrified if you take a bike ride down orange ave from downtown to about williow st you will see the houses go from 1 million dollars into burglar barred apts. if you also walk north of 5th street on pine until Anaheim it will get worse.

Going North from Belmont Shores will run you into a Golf course. I have lived in LB 36 years and in Belmont shores for 10. There is nothing close to that area that is Ghetto. Now, if you go North and then west a few blocks there are some grimy artistic areas north of Belmont Heights around Junipero but no gangs, Sorry. The bad area of LB I already pointed out in my first post and the really bad area of LB is North below Paramount and Compton.

I lived in Belmont Shores for 10 years. There is nothing like you are saying beyond a 5 minutes car ride.

Last edited:
I think the reason you and I differ from this argument is vantage point. You're coming from the West and I from the South. Therefore, you see the bad areas and assume it leads to Belmont Shores when the truth is it is separate and more geared to downtown living. Long story short, when approaching from the south you see no bad areas until you've well left Belmont Shores area.

Last edited:
I think the reason you and I differ from this argument is vantage point. You're coming from the north and I from the south. Therefore, you see the bad areas and assume it leads to Belmont Shores when the truth is it is separate and more geared to downtown living. Long story short, when approaching from the south you see no bad areas until you've well left Belmont Shores area.
I grew up in the westside near santa fe I was 4 miles north of downtown lb and 8 miles from the circle so Everytime I went downtown it was a tour of the ghetto on long beach blvd or magnolia.

I grew up in the westside near santa fe I was 4 miles north of downtown lb and 8 miles from the circle so Everytime I went downtown it was a tour of the ghetto on long beach blvd or magnolia.
Fine. Santa Fe is not Belmont Shores. If you read my posts I make it clear there are some hardened spots above downtown and even west of there above Belmont Heights. But in my opinion that area east of downtown is more artistic poor rather than gang poor. The truth is there is nothing even close to Belmont Shores that is poor. I would run 8 miles up Livingston and Appian Way and circle back down. North of Belmont Shores is money and good living. Once you go north and away from the coast west then you get the artistic and then poor gang areas.

Last edited:
Santa Fe is closer to Carson/Wilmington area. Like I said before... you're coming from the north/west. Downtown LB is ratty, I agree. Belmont Shore a different animal.

And Catalina is nice to visit once. It's just a tourist island.

Last edited:
I'm from Huntington Beach, and used to take yearly trips to Catalina. If it was me I would rather enjoy the beaches in HB and Newport if I only had 2 days. That being said, if you really really love snorkeling and that's what you want to do, it might be worth it to you, because Catalina is much better than anything in OC. It just seems like a pain to me to have to catch 2 boats in one day.

Spend the day at Newport instead. Catalina is expensive as hell but can be fun. Nice snorkeling areas and science areas too.

You can also see the bison there which is kind of fun.

But Newport Beach is where its at. Lots of very hot OC's finest there.

Back